walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Skiddaw

Skiddaw

Postby Penguin » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:27 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Skiddaw, Skiddaw Little Man

Hewitts included on this walk: Skiddaw, Skiddaw Little Man

Date walked: 30/06/2010

Time taken: 3

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having managed to finally escape the run of the mill grind and head over to the Lakes, I decided to tackle Skiddaw. It's often been passed on the way elsewhere as it's not really enroute to much else. Besides, given that it had been a few months :shock: since my previous mountain yomp, I though I'd better not stress my old aching knees out too much.

Having parked at the small Skiddaw carpark, north of Keswick in seemingly good time; prior to the mass arrival of several vehicles that littered the rutted road to the car park, I booted up and set off. the pace was good and the knees where holding up. Underfoot, the grassy path gave way to a motorway of a path that lead pretty much to the boulders of the summit of Skiddaw. Although the initial section was comparatively steep, it soon eased up the higher you ascended. En route I passed several German familys, all with young teenage children. It had a strange sense of de ja vu.

The summit was made in good time, less than 2 hours, and the customary sandwiches were partaken. The descent was via Little Man; well it was rude not to really.

The weather was decent, with extensive views over the Lakes and into Scotland.

All in all, a pleasant few hours, with nice easy paths. Worth the climb for the views on a clear day or to dust the cobwebs off the knees and loosen the joints prior to something more challanging.

Penguin
8)
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Penguin
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:32   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland