walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Great wee adventure

Great wee adventure

Postby anne mariecb » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:02 pm

Route description: Fife Coastal Path 11: Newport-on-Tay to Newburgh

Date walked: 09/10/2015

Time taken: 7.25 hours

Distance: 28.5 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I thought i would come on and give you an idea of this walk as i have done it from both directions now and that does make a big difference.

The first time i did the walk which will have been last year, i did the same as the other people that have reviewed it and did it from Newburgh to Newport on Tay. I have to admit it did take me by surprise as i was expecting a reasonably easy walk near the river and got quite a shock at just how hard i found it. :shock:

However having done the walk again today starting from Newport on Tay i found it a lot easier. I did know what to expect this time so was prepared for a bit of a tough walk and although there were some uphill bits at times it was nothing like from the other way around where there is most certainly a lot more uphill. One section in particular being the section leading up to where Normans law is, that section is very uphill but luckily this time all downhill. :D

The ground at the moment is very muddy and a lot of sections are like this, as a lot of the walk is on grassy tracks, it was all passable thought just slightly wet feet and muddy trousers lol

I liked the walk today, it gives some variety as you start off coming through the village with views back over to the bridge and then you head up into more grassy sections with some token cows along the way. You feel like your away from it all. Then they have added a bit now so it leads you through forest now instead of farm tracks for a distance before coming out and heading out to where i now knew Normans law would be. (I had planned on doing it along the way but unfortunately didn't manage to do Normans law so that will be saved for next time). Then after this your back into the open where you can see the tops of the Lomonds in the distance and the monument near Cupar as well as Normans law at one point. Its amazing what you notice along the way. Then you eventually come out and get great views of Newburgh and the river.

I don't think its a bad walk at all. Yes it isn't near the coast the entire way but it has some variety and there is still plenty to see. The walk also adds a bit of interest for people not just wanting an easy walk and i think any path added to the coastal route is a bonus.

I think its fantastic that they have made it so easy and accessible for people to explore the countryside.

Fab day!
anne mariecb
Mountaineer

Munros:72   Corbetts:43
Fionas:40   Donalds:57
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:75
Wainwrights:94   

Re: Great wee adventure

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:01 pm

Read that with interest :wink:
Still to do the northern part of the Fife Coastal Path, hopefully get round to that some time next year (when the ground has dried out a bit).

Is this the monument near Cupar you mentioned? Mount Hill - nice little walk.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby anne mariecb » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:31 pm

Hi there

Yes that is the monument, i've done that wee walk as well from Cupar before .

You always see the monument from afar as your coming towards Cupar but i had never been up it, id walked past it when doing a circular walk that way but decided i should venture up it one day. Nice wee walk. :)

Yeh might be best waiting for it to dry out a bit before attempting this part of the coastal path as it was just a bit muddy lol.

It is a nice walk though and i will hopefully get Normans law done as well next time i do it again, as you pass by it so why not hey.
anne mariecb
Mountaineer

Munros:72   Corbetts:43
Fionas:40   Donalds:57
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:75
Wainwrights:94   

Postby Sgurr » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:39 pm

Very puzzled as to how there were less uphill stretches from Newport on Tay to Newburgh, given that both seem to be at sea level next to the Tay. Answer must be that it FELT so. Did you include Lindores Hill, because I can see that it is much steeper coming east to west than vice versa? Whichever way, it must be all of 13 miles, so no mean feat. Think I have only done that once this year and that was to the hill on Gometra and back from the Ulva ferry.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland