walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Brocken spectre and spectacular skies in Assynt

Brocken spectre and spectacular skies in Assynt

Postby dogplodder » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:15 am

Route description: Cùl Beag

Corbetts included on this walk: Cùl Beag

Date walked: 03/11/2015

Distance: 10.5 km

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was one of those days with a frisson of uncertainty. MWIS had predicted 80% cloud free hills for NW then changed its mind and dropped to 30%. We considered switching hills to one further east (as east was set to be blue skies and wall to wall sunshine) but BBC Weather was giving full sun for Ullapool so we stuck with our plan. It looked like this was the right decision when we first saw Cul Beag from the road and it was suggested I should stop the car so Moira could take this photo.

It shows the profile of the route over Meall Dearg, down to the col and up Cul Beag and my variation on that in descent contouring round Meall Dearg rather than climbing it again! 8)

Stac Pollaidh and Cul Beag from the drive north
12182576_10153663842678788_6486327337926966982_o-large.jpg

We parked in the space opposite the south end of the loop of old road and headed along it for about 300m before turning left onto a muddy vehicle track.

Our target for the day - Cul Beag
DSC04233-large.JPG

Cul Mor reflected in Lochan Fada - pity I didn't get it before the dogs made ripples!
DSC04237-largel.JPG

From this point on to where the path crosses the post and wire fence and disappears into the moorland heading for Meall Dearg it was muddy, soggy, squelchy. Would not like to walk this route after a prolonged period of rain. :?

DSC04242-large.JPG

An hour into the walk the blue sky had changed to dark cloud with sun on An Teallach away to the south :(
DSC04248-largel.JPG

We picked our way over heather and tussocky grass, dodging the pools of bog, to the base of Meall Dearg and started climbing the grassy slopes which were steep enough to require a bit of turf clutching from time to time. We veered south a bit and I began contouring the south side wondering if there was an easy way round but when I lost sight of Moira I turned back looking for her. Wondering where she'd disappeared to I got the dogs to stop on a nice pancake rock for a photo but Tess wasn't for posing on that one and chose her own! :shifty:

Old dogs having a rest
DSC04251-large.JPG

It was only later when I got home and looked at the photos on the computer screen I spotted Moira's tiny figure on the skyline! A few minutes later I spotted her so headed up and we walked across the summit area with attractive outcrops of sandstone rock until Cul Beag came into view.

Jack leading the way, old pro that he is
DSC04252-large.JPG

Down to the col
DSC04253-largel.JPG

Lochan Uaine
DSC04255-large.JPG

The dogs had a dip and we walked round the north end of the lochan before starting the climb up Cul Beag which was easier going than up Meall Dearg, helped by the solifluction terraces which gave respite from the steepness.

Climbing Cul Beag
DSC04259-large.JPG

Looking back at Meall Dearg
DSC04258-largel.JPG

Keeping near to the cliffs on the north side there was a sudden wow moment seeing down to the lochs stretching west.
DSC04260-largel.JPG

North to Suilven and Cul Mor
DSC04261-largel.JPG

Spectacular skies to the south
DSC04268-largel.JPG

Zoomed to An Teallach and Loch Broom
DSC04269-large.JPG

Moira at Cul Beag summit
DSC04270-large.JPG

Panorama west from Loch Lurgainn to Stac Pollaidh to Loch Sionascaig (M's pic)
12191175_10153663844298788_2594905120700136035_o-large.jpg

We were sitting at the foot of the cairn having lunch when a large bird rose up from the rocks a few feet west of us. Because I'm used to seeing ravens around summits that was my immediate thought but when I saw the massive wing span and the way it soared above us I didn't think it was a raven.

Is this an eagle and is it a golden or a white tail? (M's pic)
12189298_10153663843788788_8523566362455666699_o-large.jpg

As if that wasn't excitement enough, when I stood up I noticed we had company of a more mystical kind - my first ever Brocken spectre! I read somewhere that someone got such a fright seeing this he'd fallen to his death and I imagine if you didn't know about the phenomenon and were of a superstitious disposition it could be a bit unnerving. But we were just very chuffed to see our reflection in the cloud with the halo round it! :D

Brocken spectre (and I wish I'd brought my good camera)
DSC04273-largel.JPG

My knees had been twinging so I suggested to Moira we could contour round Meall Dearg rather than go over it on the return. It wasn't so much the ascent I wanted to avoid but the steep descent off the east side. Walkhighlands advised against bypassing on the boggy ground to the south so my plan was to contour round about two thirds of the way down. I looked at the map and could see no obstacles so decided to go for it. Moira felt she would prefer to go over the top so we agreed to meet at the base of the hill on the east side.

Moira heading for her reascent of Meall Dearg
DSC04283-largel.JPG

The dogs wondering what I'm playing at
DSC04284-largel.JPG

Lochan Uaine from the south side
DSC04287-largel.JPG

I took a line to the south of the lochan and headed down from the col before starting my traverse round the side of the hill. After the warning I expected it to be wet but it was amazingly dry and I found it fairly easy walking.

Contouring Meall Dearg
DSC04289-largel.JPG

When I reached the east side of the hill I could see the path heading over the moor towards the fence so looked for a prominent rocky area in that direction to park myself so I'd be easily visible (or so I thought). I had a good look at the east side of Meall Dearg, couldn't see anyone so settled down and finished off my flask of coffee. I'd been sitting there about 10 minutes still scanning the hillside, trying to decide if a particular rock might be Moira and wishing she wasn't dressed in black when my phone beeped. It was a text from herself asking where I was as she was at the bottom of the hill and couldn't see me.

It turned out she'd reached the bottom of the hill 5 minutes after I had but had come down further round to the north side of the hill and there was a knoll between us. Once she stood up and moved a bit she could see me perched on my rocky platform and we then started the soggy walk back over the lumpy terrain to the wire fence, the lochan and the car. That was the most wearisome part of the day for me as Moira had a deadline to get back for and as the driver I felt responsible not to let her be late! :problem:

South to the dying embers of the sun and it's only 4.15. (M's pic)
11232138_10153663845158788_6643281253776959216_o-large.jpg

We didn't get the chocolate box blue skies and sunshine they had further east but we did get an amazingly atmospheric day of shifting clouds, rays of hazy sunshine and that wonderful light effect that comes from a low sun later in the year. It was also remarkably mild for November - I only had on two layers and didn't even need my jacket sitting at the summit.

And Moira made it back in time for food and a shower before her evening appointment. :D

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by dogplodder on Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Brocken spectre and spectacular skies in Assynt

Postby Bod » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:43 am

Looks like just the kind of day I would love just now... .... been too busy working since late summer. Planning a hit on the Northwest, just don't know when yet ...the dogs looking great! Ritchie-boy still got a few hills in him on shorter quality days, so some winter training lies ahead me thinks. Great report and pics :D :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:23 am

I must return to Assynt - great report and photos - glad I'm not the only one who has dilemmas over which weather report to trust :lol:

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:36 am

Thanks for that dogplodder - another 500 miles on to the car mileage :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby tweedledog » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:56 am

Greatly enjoyed the lovely autumn pictures, thank you, and the dogs look great. Long time since I've been up there. As far as I know it would be pretty unusual to find a white-tailed eagle that far north. They are to be found fairly often where I live in Argyll - not that far from Mull after all - but I hadn't heard that they had spread that far. But you never know. Unfortunately the photograph isn't at the best angle to see the wing tips and/or colour of tail, but if it was really big then a goldie seems more likely than, say, a buzzard masquerading as a big relative.... :wink:
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby Avocetboy » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:10 pm

tweedledog wrote:Greatly enjoyed the lovely autumn pictures, thank you, and the dogs look great. Long time since I've been up there. As far as I know it would be pretty unusual to find a white-tailed eagle that far north. They are to be found fairly often where I live in Argyll - not that far from Mull after all - but I hadn't heard that they had spread that far. But you never know. Unfortunately the photograph isn't at the best angle to see the wing tips and/or colour of tail, but if it was really big then a goldie seems more likely than, say, a buzzard masquerading as a big relative.... :wink:

I saw a WTE at Sandwood Bay in August, so it could be. Difficult to tell from Phot
Avocetboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:74   Islands:7

Postby dogplodder » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:16 pm

tweedledog wrote: As far as I know it would be pretty unusual to find a white-tailed eagle that far north. They are to be found fairly often where I live in Argyll - not that far from Mull after all - but I hadn't heard that they had spread that far. But you never know. Unfortunately the photograph isn't at the best angle to see the wing tips and/or colour of tail, but if it was really big then a goldie seems more likely than, say, a buzzard masquerading as a big relative.... :wink:

Sea eagles have been seen around Inchnadamph since 2010 so it could have been. It was the sheer size of it (which photo doesn't show) that made me wonder. 8)
dogplodder

Postby tweedledog » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:24 pm

The famous flying barn door then! What the hell - let's all agree that it was a WTE in the absence of absolute evidence :D
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby katyhills » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:57 pm

Superb photos and report. Aren't these autumn days just wonderful for being on a hill :D
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Silverhill » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:38 pm

Fantastic, what a great walk. 8) As you say the cloud really adds to the atmosphere. And without cloud there’s no Brocken Spectres! :wink:
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby dogplodder » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:47 am

Bod wrote:Looks like just the kind of day I would love just now... .... been too busy working since late summer. Planning a hit on the Northwest, just don't know when yet ...the dogs looking great! Ritchie-boy still got a few hills in him on shorter quality days, so some winter training lies ahead me thinks. Great report and pics :D :D :D

Ah Bod I've been missing your reports! Glad to hear Ritchie's still going strong and that you're planning to hit Assynt soon! :D
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:35 pm

wilkiemurray wrote:I must return to Assynt - great report and photos - glad I'm not the only one who has dilemmas over which weather report to trust :lol:

ATB

Murray

I've got more than a touch of OCD when it comes to weather forecasts and planning a hill. :problem:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:44 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Thanks for that dogplodder - another 500 miles on to the car mileage :lol: :lol: :lol:

But it's got to be done - and deep down you love it. :shifty:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:54 pm

katyhills wrote:Superb photos and report. Aren't these autumn days just wonderful for being on a hill :D

Thanks Katy. Yes autumn is great for hill walking - amazing colours and no midge. :D
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:55 pm

Silverhill wrote:Fantastic, what a great walk. 8) As you say the cloud really adds to the atmosphere. And without cloud there’s no Brocken Spectres! :wink:

Absolutely. 8)
dogplodder

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland