walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Alder Round

Ben Alder Round

Postby johnrich » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:53 pm

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Beag (Alder), Beinn Bheoil, Beinn Èibhinn, Beinn na Lap, Ben Alder, Càrn Dearg (Corrour), Càrn Dearg (Loch Pattack), Geal-chàrn (Alder), Sgòr Gaibhre

Date walked: 04/10/2015

Time taken: 45 hours

Distance: 83 km

Ascent: 3600m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ben Alder 9.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I arrived at Dalwhinnie at about 3.30pm after driving up from Sunderland and cycled in to the Culra bothy.
IMG_2731.jpg
IMG_2735.jpg

Dumping the bike I set off up Carn Dearg, setting up camp just below the cloud.
IMG_2739.jpg
IMG_2747.jpg

In the morning it was a quick dash up to Carn Dearg for the first Munro of the day, the cloud was down for most of the morning so it was a bit of a plod until emerging off Beinn Eibhinn. It was a pleasant walk along Loch Ossian until the start of the path up to Beinn na Lap where I left my rucksack and headed up.
IMG_2780.jpg

It looked very inviting to stay at the youth hostel but I decided to carry on and get as far up Carn Deag as I could that night.
IMG_2788.jpg
IMG_2790.jpg
IMG_2791.jpg
IMG_2796.jpg

The next morning I was up early and reach the summit by 7:30am just in time for a lovely sunrise.
IMG_2798.jpg

It was a long haul over to Ben Alder
IMG_2813.jpg

Great to reach Ben Alder
IMG_2820.jpg

Then over Beinn Bheoil and back down to the Culra bothy. I was so happy to see the bike where I'd left it and headed back to Dalwhinnie, very tired and looking forward to going back to work for a rest.
IMG_2834.jpg
johnrich
Walker

Munros:9   Corbetts:29
Fionas:5   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:85
Wainwrights:69   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland