walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Western Cairngorms expedition: On

Western Cairngorms expedition: On

by Silverhill » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:24 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bhrotain, Cairn Toul, Monadh Mòr, Mullach Clach a' Bhlàir, Sgòr an Lochain Uaine, Sgòr Gaoith, The Devil's Point

Date walked: 03/06/2015

Time taken: 20 hours

Distance: 54 km

Ascent: 2984m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Western Cairngorms expedition: On

Postby Tomsie » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:29 am

Quite an adventure and a great way to gets these hills done. :clap:

Must remember about throwing the stones next time visibility is nil :D
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby Silverhill » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:33 pm

Thanks basscadet! :D
basscadet wrote:There is nothing like that feeling when you thought you were going to meet your doom but then your fortunes improve and you realise everything is going to be OK
That sums it up nicely. I was incredibly relieved!
Map, compass and GPS for me too. Though I try not to rely too heavily on the GPS as it has refused to work on more than one occasion.

Thanks ancancha! :D I found the Moine Mhor very photogenic with the traces of snow.
ancancha wrote:Great shot of the walker getting up the snow field after the slip, bet that made his heart beat faster :shock:
Mine too!

Tomsie wrote:Quite an adventure and a great way to gets these hills done. :clap:
Must remember about throwing the stones next time visibility is nil :D
Thanks Tomsie! Nothing compared to your white out adventure on the Easains, that was really scary.
Yes, throwing stones is a great tip from laconic surf! :thumbup:
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Old Bill » Wed May 11, 2016 4:35 pm

Gosh Silverhill - finally got round to reading through this propery after my earlier post on the forum... what a couple of days!!
At first I was thinking "Wow - look at that path, I've seen proper roads in worse conditions!" but it's amazing how the Highlands can throw everything at you. And just goes to show that the GPS can't be relied on! Did it ever start working again?
A great inspiration for my trip, although I hope to do the same including Braeriach over 3 or 4 days camping near Loch nan Cnapan. And be preying for better weather... ridge walking while being able to see nothing but a compass is never fun!

Thanks for the post. :-)
Old Bill
Wanderer

Munros:51   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:10   

Postby simon-b » Wed May 11, 2016 8:40 pm

A superb route, Silverhill, sorry I missed this post first time. It's nice to walk along Glen Feshie with it's feel of a great big park or garden, and during the same trip experience the contrast with the bleak plateaux above. Then you added even more variety with Glen Dee and the view through the Lairig Ghru - great stuff.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Silverhill » Sun May 15, 2016 9:49 pm

Old Bill wrote:Gosh Silverhill - finally got round to reading through this propery after my earlier post on the forum... what a couple of days!!
At first I was thinking "Wow - look at that path, I've seen proper roads in worse conditions!" but it's amazing how the Highlands can throw everything at you. And just goes to show that the GPS can't be relied on! Did it ever start working again?
A great inspiration for my trip, although I hope to do the same including Braeriach over 3 or 4 days camping near Loch nan Cnapan. And be preying for better weather... ridge walking while being able to see nothing but a compass is never fun. Thanks for the post. :-)

I'm glad that my report was of use and thanks for commenting. It is a magnificent walk and I hope you'll have a great time. I'm looking forward to reading how it went :D .
I think it was too cold for my GPS. It did work again in the evening on the 'empty' batteries :? .

simon-b wrote:A superb route, Silverhill, sorry I missed this post first time. It's nice to walk along Glen Feshie with it's feel of a great big park or garden, and during the same trip experience the contrast with the bleak plateaux above. Then you added even more variety with Glen Dee and the view through the Lairig Ghru - great stuff.

Thanks simon-b and no need to apologise :D . I can't keep up with reading all reports either.
Silverhill

Postby Somerled87 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:21 pm

Thanks for typing this up, it's a useful report that I'll probably come back too.

Wouldn't it be nice if there were a way to bookmark, or "favourite" useful reports. This would be one :)
Somerled87
Mountain Walker

Munros:179   Corbetts:20
Fionas:15   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:12   Islands:26

Postby Silverhill » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:11 pm

Thanks Somerled87, I'm glad you found the report useful. Do share your account of these hills with us when you do them. It's a wonderful area!
Silverhill

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland