walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Was an injustice done to this son of Dingwall?

Was an injustice done to this son of Dingwall?

Postby dogplodder » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:03 pm

Route description: Macdonald Monument and the Firth, Dingwall

Date walked: 04/03/2015

Distance: 6 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Like others on here I've a backlog of walks to write up and probably wouldn't have bothered with this one except there are no other reports on it. It's a good circuit round the town of Dingwall, with plenty of historical interest and a variety of scenery along the way.

The starting point is the large car park just south of the High Street from where it's a short stroll to the museum and clock-towered town hall.

Centre of Dingwall from Green Hill
DSC_2463-large.JPG

From the car park turn right on to the High Street and continue past the museum then turn left on to Tulloch Street and keep going until a path goes off to the right alongside a canal. The path is signed for the Ferry picnic site.

Path along canal
DSC_2417-large.JPG

The canal was built by Thomas Telford in 1817 who had designs for Dingwall as a working port with a large harbour on the Cromarty Firth. His advice not to allow the River Peffery to flow into the canal was ignored meaning it regularly became silted up and had to be abandoned in 1840. Needless to say Telford's plans for Dingwall's harbour were never realised.

DSC_2418-large.JPG

DSC_2425-large.JPG

Where canal meets firth at the Ferry picnic site
DSC_2426-large.JPG

DSC_2428-large.JPG

Looking back to houses of Dingwall
DSC_2432-large.JPG

Labs doing what labs do - checking out the water
DSC_2433-large.JPG

With the tidal mudflats this is a good feeding area for wading birds and greylag geese are often seen in the surrounding fields.

Zoomed to Fyrish (Moira's pic)
10959062_10153091786048788_3151728726688210061_o-large.jpg

Sculpture that mirrors the Fyrish monument
DSC_2437-large.JPG

Heading west along the estuary
DSC_2438-large.JPG

Looking back east
DSC_2443-large.JPG

Path heading west
DSC_2446-large.JPG

This was a path I regularly walked with my father and the dogs while my mother attended Dingwall Hospital for hydrotherapy at the Puffin Pool. It feels a lifetime ago but it's only 7 years.

Across the fields to Macdonald Monument on left and snow covered Ben Wyvis
DSC_2447-large.JPG

Muddy path but a lovely day
DSC_2448-large.JPG

Footbridge
DSC_2449-large.JPG

Keep left at the footbridge following the Round Dingwall walk sign and eventually the path passes an old bothy.

DSC_2451-large.JPG

Dogs separated from Moira to give her peace to have her lunch
DSC_2454-large.JPG

After the bothy the route heads inland on a track that crosses the railway line by a level crossing and goes under the main road via a tunnel before bearing right to reach a minor road to Pitglassie. You follow this towards the farm then turn right up a private road just before the barn and head uphill. As height is gained there are good views of Dingwall and the Cromarty Firth.

DSC_2455-large.JPG

DSC_2457-large.JPG

As the ground levels off the Macdonald Monument comes into view again. The route passes through a gate and turns right down a minor road which leads to the cemetery where the monument was erected.

Macdonald Monument
DSC_2458-large.JPG

Ben Wyvis
DSC_2461-large.JPG

DSC_2462-large.JPG

Hector Macdonald was a crofter's son from Dingwall who distinguished himself in military service, reaching the highest rank and receiving the Victoria Cross for outstanding bravery. It seems that due to his humble beginnings he didn't fit easily into the circles he moved in and was resented by other military big wigs, Lord Kitchener included. Whatever the truth of that during his time in India he was accused of sexual misconduct involving teenage boys, which he denied. But the tide of opinion was mounting against him and he shot himself, which was taken as proof of his guilt.

DSC_2464-large.JPG

But many didn't believe it and his native Scots insisted he be brought back to Scotland for burial and the following year the men of Dingwall starting building this monument in his honour. Whether guilty or innocent it's a sad story of glory and honour being plunged into shame and dishonour and must have been hard to bear for his widow and son back home in Dingwall.

We'll never know for sure but it's possible a great injustice was done. Here's a quote from Lenathehyena's Blog after spending some time researching the story.

"There is spite, jealousy, vindictiveness and secrecy at every turn of this case. I began looking into it following a visit to Dingwall museum which features Macdonald’s story. I started with a bland acceptance of his ‘guilt’ but now I am certain what happened to him had nothing at all to do with any alleged sexual activity.

The hero and survivor of so many battles to preserve the British Empire finally came up against an enemy he could not defeat – the British Establishment which closed ranks against this upstart Scot from the croft and dispatched him for good."

DSC_2465-largec.JPG

From the cemetery we returned to the road and followed it down to the A862 which has to be crossed to reach the car park where the walk started. After collecting the car we drove the short distance to the tea room at Dingwall station - which if you have time is well worth a visit!
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Was an injustice done to this son of Dingwall?

Postby basscadet » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:07 pm

Thanks for posting DP, I have spent a lot of time in Dingwall and I had no idea about most of that - Loved it :clap: :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Silverhill » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:28 pm

I plead guilty for posting catch-up reports! :wink:
A very informative and interesting read! :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:49 am

Strange, living only around the corner from Dingwall, we never did this walk, but it looks lovely, a good low level option when hills are off the radar.

There is another interesting route on the other side of Dingwall, up to Caisteal Gorach, I wonder if you ever tried this one?
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby dogplodder » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:49 pm

basscadet wrote:Thanks for posting DP, I have spent a lot of time in Dingwall and I had no idea about most of that - Loved it :clap: :D

Cheers BC - and rest up well! :wink:
dogplodder

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:56 pm

Interesting walk and very interesting story, thanks to both you and BP for the tips about local walks :D :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby Graeme D » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:22 am

Dirty deeds done by the British Establishment? Who knew!!!!!????

I have never been to Dingwall but it looks like a fine enough place. My brother used to spend time there through work and talked about it in less complimentary terms.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby dogplodder » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:42 pm

Silverhill wrote:I plead guilty for posting catch-up reports! :wink:

There's more to life than posting reports and you have to do it when you're in the mood which comes and goes..... :think:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:53 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Strange, living only around the corner from Dingwall, we never did this walk, but it looks lovely, a good low level option when hills are off the radar.

There is another interesting route on the other side of Dingwall, up to Caisteal Gorach, I wonder if you ever tried this one?

Thanks BP, haven't done it but will keep it in mind. 8)
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:04 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Interesting walk and very interesting story, thanks to both you and BP for the tips about local walks :D :D

Would make a good variation from the usual leg stretch for Biggles and Bertie! :D
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:18 pm

Graeme D wrote:Dirty deeds done by the British Establishment? Who knew!!!!!????

I have never been to Dingwall but it looks like a fine enough place. My brother used to spend time there through work and talked about it in less complimentary terms.

Fair enough. A quiet market town's probably not the most exciting place for a young guy working away from home! :wink:
dogplodder

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:51 pm

I've just come back from a fiddle lesson where I was given a beautiful lament to play over the festive season - its called 'Hector the Hero' and is a tribute to Hector MacDonald written by his friend James Scott Skinner, not long after MacDonald's suicide. There is a wonderful recording of it on You Tube by Jenna Reid with Aly Bain.

An injustice possibly, but the musical response immortalizes the man when his detractors are forgotten.

There's a memorial to him at Mulbuie, just opposite the primary school - I've passed it often but hadn't realised the connection. Thanks DP.
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby dogplodder » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:58 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:I've just come back from a fiddle lesson where I was given a beautiful lament to play over the festive season - its called 'Hector the Hero' and is a tribute to Hector MacDonald written by his friend James Scott Skinner, not long after MacDonald's suicide. There is a wonderful recording of it on You Tube by Jenna Reid with Aly Bain.

An injustice possibly, but the musical response immortalizes the man when his detractors are forgotten.

There's a memorial to him at Mulbuie, just opposite the primary school - I've passed it often but hadn't realised the connection. Thanks DP.

What a beautiful lament.

Looking forward to hearing you playing it on Ben Hope in the not too distant future! :D
dogplodder

Postby Jaywizz » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:58 pm

Looks a nice walk - lots of interest. Thank you for posting your report.
Jaywizz
Wanderer

Munros:237   Corbetts:35
Fionas:71   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:172   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:4   Islands:26

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland