walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Shiant Isles.

The Shiant Isles.

Postby FMCKIE » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:44 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Mullach Buidhe (Shiants)

Date walked: 19/07/2010

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

HILLS :

Garb Eilean : Mullach Buidhe (160m). [Marilyn]
Eilean an Taighe : 125m high point of Island. [Hump]

DATE : 8th of July 2010.

WEATHER : Force 6 but mainly sunny.

SHIANT ISLES

This trip was pretty much subject to delays due to the unusual gale force winds we experienced on Harris that week. After a few days of delays we got a day that was force 6! And Seaharris (Seamus Morrison) reckoned to be feasible. The Kilda trip had been cancelled for the week but a trip to the Shiants was offered in its place. The Kilda cruises boat would therefore be with us for the day.

Kilda cruises would be joining us as the swell was to much for St Kilda.

Leaving the safety of sheltered waters. Scalpay bridge.

The crossing was hampered by side on big rollers but the boat is very powerful so coped well still it was just to much to tackle taking any pictures. On reaching the Isles we rounded the North tip to reach sheltered waters on the East side.

Calm enough for pictures as we move to the sheltered side.

Kilda cruises following behind.

Eilean an Taighe

The landing area is a spit of sand /gravel that connects the two Islands. Its reached by dinghy from the bay. Now to access the North Island and the Marilyn summit Mullach Buidhe its a steep climb from the beach. Seamus explained that although he couldn’t stop folks climbing up onto this Island he would rather everyone stayed on the southern Island. Its steep grass mixed with crags and after the rain showers it would be very slippy. This was not good news as it was the
Marilyn summit I really wanted to visit

Landing area

On reaching the beach the ascent below Garb Eilean didn’t look much better from below. I made my way round with everyone else to the southern Island. I had wanted to do the Hump summit here as well as the bigger Northern Marilyn so I would do this one first then have a look at the Marilyn. We passed the bothy that had a couple staying the week but were going back today with Seaharris.

Bothy and route up Garbh Eilean behind.

Its an easy climb and with beautiful views of the coast. I met Alison who had been on the Kilda cruises boat (Previously on the Bishop Isles charter) She was concerned that we were not doing the Marilyn summit and turned back. She shouted after me I was doing the wrong summit but I reckoned I would be doing both anyway.

Summit area of Eilean an Taighe.

I I returned from the summit back to the beach interested to see where Alison was. Surprisingly she was high up on the crags. The wind was really strong through here and to be honest looked a bit dicey.

Route up Garbh Eilean. Alison high on the crags.

Fearless.

I decided to walk round the beach to a grass terrace I had seen on the way in. Seamus had also pointed at this as being a route although again not keen on folks attempting it. To be honest its a steep walk apart from a short scramble near the top. One problem though amongst the rocks Razerbill are nesting while in the terrace there are loads of Puffin burrows so you are a pest towards them until you pass.

Razerbill in the rocks.

As luck would have it I pulled over the edge just as Alison was passing. I shouted on her but in the wind she couldnt hear.On the summit area there were a fair number of Great Skua and they were serious dive bombers. Unlike gulls these buggers would shoot along the heather, wings spread to look big and go slow as they would come straight at you.

I made it a fast visit as there were clearly nests nearby and returned.

Great Skua dive bomb.

Mullach Buidhe moorland summit.

From the summit looking to Harris

Eilean Mhuire

The terrace from above looking back to the boats

Two boats wait in the bay

Pick up time

Last but not least. Check out the profile of the wee guy having a pee, head against the wall.

The return boat journey went anything but smooth. We were all to stay in our seats and I got to witness the biggest waves I ever seen, at the Southern tip of the Shiants. It seemed like the boat was being dropped from a great height all the time although we were traveling very slow. Dropping down into those troughs looked some height when you were up on the crests and looking at the front of the boat where you couldnt normally see the sea it was all you could see!
Some of those waves looked like hillsides although they were tighter together in this area. I was just a little bit terrified and forgot about sea sickness although it did flow from other areas of the boat. :D It did seem to be much rougher on the way back but not as bad as the Southern tip.
FMCKIE

Sub 2000:6   

Re: The Shiant Isles.

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:39 pm

Lovely pictures. Cannae beat a wee boat trip on a windy day to get away from the hills :)
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby FloozySuzie » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:59 pm

Amazing. I'm off to St Kilda in September, i really hope my stomach stays ok :?
FloozySuzie

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:03 pm

Great stuff. I always thought that Garbh Eilean looked a bit tricky - the photos of Alison heading up it were not very encouraging!

Your route was fine though?

I think the islands are owned by Adam Nicolson (owner of the famous Sissinghurst Castle Gardens in Kent)... he wrote a book about them but I've yet to read it.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby AlisonFox66 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:54 am

Alison here ,
The route I took was steep grass , with very little rock to scramble over
it was tricky finding the least steep line and I did zig-zag about a lot to find a route I was happy with as I am not a very confident scrambler

I didn't fancy Fraser's route as it was on wet rock to start with ; though in retrospect it might have been better
as the section on the wet rock didn't look that long and then the going looked easier

Thinking about it , certain bits of the route I took remind me of the steeper bits of the Ochils , where I spend my hillwalking time when I am not bagging new hills
perhaps they are a good training ground -
AlisonFox66
Ambler

Fionas:219   Donalds:87
Sub 2000:497   Hewitts:311
Wainwrights:214   

Postby FMCKIE » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:29 am

Yeh the wet rock section is due to it being tidal.(Seaweed covered boulders) The tide was well down when I went up so plenty of time although the dinghy could still pick you up from there as your still in the bay. Apart from that avoiding the birds on the lower section is the only other worry. I reckon going up the nose would probably be the better route as Alison made no mention of nests and it probably would better than it looks. Wet steep grass kind of freaks me out, dry rock fine, it just looked easier round the corner.
FMCKIE

Postby FMCKIE » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:36 am

FloozySuzie wrote:Amazing. I'm off to St Kilda in September, i really hope my stomach stays ok :?

I would go for a sea sickness pill for that one its a long way. Alison went the following day maybe she can give tell us how she found it. I seem to be ok as long as I can watch land. Shuting eyes is a big no no for me as is trying to read. Not pucked yet apart from the odd wretch from the smell of other peoples. :D
FMCKIE

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:11 am

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, Shiver me Timbers, excellent nautical stuff there !

Paul Webster wrote:he wrote a book about them but I've yet to read it.

The book is called "Sea Room" by Adam Nicolson; an excellent read.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby FMCKIE » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:08 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, Shiver me Timbers, excellent nautical stuff there !

Paul Webster wrote:he wrote a book about them but I've yet to read it.

The book is called "Sea Room" by Adam Nicolson; an excellent read.

Thanks I have just ordered a copy from Amazon. Kind of feel I might wish I had this book before I went though. :D
FMCKIE

Postby AlisonFox66 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:26 pm

I am lucky , I don't get seasick if I watch the sea , preferably out on the deck and not in the cabin

looking down , reading , or closing my eyes is a no no

its as if stomach is saying to brain
'I am moving up and down, and I am not happy '
and brain replies - 'course you are , eyes have told me we can see the sea, now behave' :)
AlisonFox66
Ambler

Fionas:219   Donalds:87
Sub 2000:497   Hewitts:311
Wainwrights:214   

Postby FloozySuzie » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:08 pm

I have only been on 2 ferrys, and short journeys at that - one in New York, and one in San Francisco.
Sickness pills will definitely be bought.
FloozySuzie

Postby Frasmck » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:38 pm

FloozySuzie wrote:I have only been on 2 ferrys, and short journeys at that - one in New York, and one in San Francisco.

I was surprised how much a difference it makes to watch land or the horizon. You do get tired though being battered over the hours but dont be tempted to shut eyes.(Unless your one of those folks that are immune)

Good Luck. I hope to visit as much of St Kilda as I can. Post some pics when you get back. :D
Frasmck
Mountain Walker

Postby Frasmck » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:40 pm

Frasmck wrote:
FloozySuzie wrote:I have only been on 2 ferrys, and short journeys at that - one in New York, and one in San Francisco.

I was surprised how much a difference it makes to watch land or the horizon. You do get tired though being battered over the hours but dont be tempted to shut eyes.(Unless your one of those folks that are immune)

Good Luck. I hope to visit as much of St Kilda as I can. Post some pics when you get back. :D

BTW : Is it Kilda Cruises or one of the others?
Frasmck
Mountain Walker

Postby FloozySuzie » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:27 pm

Yeh, Kilda Cruises leaving from Leverburgh. We're travelling all of the Outer Hebrides plus St Kilda over 9 days, so a lot of photos shall be taken. Then Loopallu at Ullapool to round it off nicely. :)
FloozySuzie

Postby rocket-ron » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:28 pm

wowsers just noticed this report :clap:
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:94
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:15   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland