walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr a'Mhaim in the clag

Sgurr a'Mhaim in the clag

Postby petejkenny » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:11 pm

Date walked: 08/02/2015

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 5 km

Ascent: 1064m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I stayed at the Glen Nevis Youth Hostel after my ascent of Sgurr Eilde Mor:

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=59276.

I woke the next day with legs stiff and aching, even after carefully applying some internal lubrication the night before.

No hills today!

It was another fine day which I spent driving to Mallaig, walking slowly on the beach, drinking coffee and reading the paper. On the way back I stopped at Glenfinnan for this frankly ridiculous sunset.

IMG_2172.JPG
Glenfinnan Sunset

That night I thought that maybe tomorrow would be fine again and my restored legs would speed me up any hill I chose.

Unfortunately I woke to lowish grey cloud. I decided to go up Sgurr a’Mhaim, close by and near the road. I drove up Glen Nevis to the first car park and was walking by 9.00.

The path starts right by the road, through a gate, follow the clear boggy path by the Allt Coire a’ Mhusgain and then up the north west ridge over the Sron Sgurr a’Mhaim to the summit.

IMG_2176.JPG
From the ridge

IMG_2177.JPG
Summit

The top three or four hundred metres were in the clag. It was steep, pretty quick and really dour! A shame because the views are said to be fantastic.

Then down the same way and back to the car by 2.00.

99 to go.
petejkenny

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:16   Islands:24

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland