walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

From the Big Apple to Cairnpapple

From the Big Apple to Cairnpapple

Postby superstar_tradesman » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:45 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cairnpapple Hill

Date walked: 31/01/2016

Time taken: 1 hours

Distance: 5.2 km

Ascent: 160m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A cure for jet lag…a quick shimmy up a hill on the way home from the airport?

I'd arrived back at Edinburgh airport on the overnight flight from Newark after a brilliant few days in NYC, and felt that I could squeeze in a quick walk on the way home. So, over a sausage sandwich and a superstrong americano at arrivals, I plotted a route to Cairnpapple that would let me stretch my legs a wee bit, rather than just getting out the car and walking 50m to the top :)

As I drove up through Bathgate towards Ballencrieff Toll, it was clear that it would be fairly snowy, and by the time I parked at the Korean War memorial, the weather in the west was looking decidedly dodgy.

2016-01-31 09.55.20 small.jpg
A wintry scene at the start of the walk

But I wanted some fresh air so, full waterproofs on, I headed back down the road, then turned E then S on more minor (and very slushy) roads following signs for Cairnpapple. I decided to pass the hill with the burial chamber for now, so continued south on the minor road steeply downhill and back up again, through occasional sleet, rain and light snow, until just before the Knock junction, and its curious stone circle nearby.

2016-01-31 10.10.17 small.jpg
Long and winding road towards the summit

2016-01-31 10.29.37 small.jpg
West Lothian's answer to Stonehenge?

I hopped over the gate and, now the cloud was right down, I blundered west over the snow hoping to spot the trig point and the highest summit of the day. Sure enough, it loomed out of the mist. No cows today, but no views either!

2016-01-31 10.17.59 small.jpg
There's a trig point somewhere over there in the mist…

There wasn't much to keep me here, so I headed back to the gate, then S again up the curious lump that I guess is Knock Hill, with the viewfinder. It promised me views of exotic lands like Ben Lawers and North Berwick Law, but I couldn't even see back to where I'd just been…

2016-01-31 10.26.13 small.jpg
Hey, this view indicator doesn't work!

Retraced my steps (okay, slid) back down to the road, and back to the steps up to the real Cairnpapple Hill. I wandered up for a surreptitious look at the burial chamber (wondering if you'd have to pay the entrance fee in the summer if you just wanted to climb the hill :) ), and after a couple of photos realised my phone had decided it was too cold, and just shut down.

2016-01-31 10.35.26 HDR-2 small.jpg
Cairnpapple entrance fees. D'you get your money back if there's no view? :)

Since I'd been using it to record my route, this made up my mind that rather than a longer walk through Beecraigs forest and back to the car, I'd just return directly along the roads, taking care not to skid and fall on my backside.

After I got back to the car, warmed up my phone, and drove off, there was a nice wee postscript as the weather really brightened up. So I pulled in at the Cockleroy car park and nipped up that too. I'd been orienteering in Beecraigs plenty of times, but never been to the top of Cockleroy, so at least I got some views (oil refinery and bridges, mainly, but Cairnpapple now out of the cloud, and Edinburgh's hills too). A nice couple of walks, and I didn't fall asleep once :)

2016-01-31 11.24.33 small.jpg
Back to Cairnpapple Hill from Cockleroy

2016-01-31 11.24.53 small.jpg
Fields and bridges, looking E from Cockleroy
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

superstar_tradesman
Mountain Walker

Munros:170   Corbetts:31
Fionas:16   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:82   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Re: From the Big Apple to Cairnpapple

Postby superstar_tradesman » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:59 pm

RTC wrote:Enjoyable report and photos. You perhaps know this from your orienteering days. - Behind the Korean war memorial there are steps up to a path which takes you to the top of Witch Craig, another nice wee hill in the area.

I don't think the map I ran on ever stretched that far south, so I didn't know about Witch Craig! I'll need to come back and explore another time :)
superstar_tradesman
Mountain Walker

Munros:170   Corbetts:31
Fionas:16   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:82   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland