walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Winter warmer: Meall Fuar Mhonaidh and Creag Dhearg (May 07)

Winter warmer: Meall Fuar Mhonaidh and Creag Dhearg (May 07)

Postby malky_c » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:22 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Meall Fuar-mhonaidh

Date walked: 30/05/2007

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 700m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Grahams: Meall Fuar-mhonaidh
Date walked: 30/05/2007
Time taken: 4 hours
Distance: 12 km
Weather: Warm and sunny

Looks like its shaping up to be another great winter, but it can be nice to have a bit of colour in trip reports now and then, so I thought I'd write up this rather lovely evening from a few years back. I'd managed to escape after work, and this is one of my most climbed hills locally, as it is fairly easy to get to and quick to ascend.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Parked up at Grotaig at 6ish and headed up the normal path to the summit of Meall Fuar-mhonaidh. This is very good lower down, and passes through birch woods before heading up onto the oopen moorland. Views start to open out over Loch Ness to Stratherrick and the Monadh Liath, and the second part of the ascent begins. This hill is quite popular, so the way is obvious, but strangely gets boggier and boggier as you get higher. The final steep rise leads to a small wet plateau with a couple of potential summits. The western one has the best views over Loch Ness, but the eastern one is higher, and provides a lovely panorama of the Affric/Cannich/Strathfarrar hills.

SW down Loch Ness from the summit:

I tend to head back down the same way, as I've usually come here for the convenience as much as anything. This time though, the weather was really good and I wasn't ready to go home yet, so I decided to head east for some birds-eye views of Loch Ness.

I scrambled down off the summit and headed towards the tiny Loch a Chaise, path left behind. The going was OK, over heather and long grass - the usual Graham stuff.

Looking along the SE flank of Meall Fuar-mhonaidh:

Down by Lochan a Bhealaich, the going was a little marshy, but still reasonable, and the re-ascent to Creag Dhearg was minimal.

Un-named loch next to Loch a' Bhealaich, Creag Dhearg behind:

Loch Ness certainly isn't the most picturesque loch in the Highlands, but from here it impresses by its sheer size and straightness. Unlike the view from Meall Fuar-mhonaidh, there are no obstructions in the way, and you can see the full length of the loch.

NE up Loch Ness from Creag Dhearg:

SW down Loch Ness from Creag Dhearg:

Across to the Monadh Liath:

I dropped down to the forestry track to the east of the summit to make the trek back to the car. I made a bit of a booboo here, as I managed to crash through some of the thickest, scratchiest conifers ever encountered here. Once on the track, I noticed a felled area either side :oops: . I think I only picked my route as I was attracted by a gate in the deer fence!

This track joined the Great Glen Way after a short distance, probably one of the most scenic parts. After some nice open views to Loch Ness, I was plunged into forestry. This is one of the main drawbacks of the Great Glen Way - you pass through some stunning scenery but you can hardly see it for all the trees! Soon enough I was back at the car in the last of the light.

A great way to see a bit more of this hill. Another option is to head south then west from the summit and take in Glas-bheinn Mhor. This covers some really rough ground, and gives good views of Loch nan Breacan Dearga. One for another report, that!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Winter warmer: Meall Fuar Mhonaidh and Creag Dhearg (May 07)

Postby kinley » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:27 pm

On my radar for New Year this one :)

Cheers 8)
kinley

Postby HighlandSC » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:19 am

I really enjoyed this one-did it on a nice crisp October day not long after I started hillwalking. Considered extending it to take in the other Graham Glas-bheinn Mhor but took the lazy option and had an extended lunch stop instead.

It's a cracking viewpoint for Highlands 8)
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby mountain coward » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:34 am

Felled areas are actually worse than forest as there are hidden stumps and the ground is usually pretty impossible. They can also be a bit dangerous as hidden bits of tree can skewer you (as happened to my shin once - right to the bone which we could then see inside the cut :o ).

Great report and photos though - especially nice to see some warmer colours during this weather :D I've had my eye on that hill for ages - the route back down with the lochans looks especially nice.

I really like Loch Ness as I find, when you're down on its shoreline, it has atmosphere.
mountain coward

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:49 pm

This hill was ne of my first climbs in Scotland. Just a short drive from our place, and it's a lovely viewpoint. Hope to do it again in winter conditions - if the road uphill to Grotaig is not too bad...
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby rockhopper » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:51 am

malky_c wrote:rather lovely evening from a few years back. I'd managed to escape after work, and this is one of my most climbed hills locally, as it is fairly easy to get to and quick to ascend.
You're making me jealous ! It must be great having this sort of terrain on your back doorstep. Nice pictures to bring some colour back as you say. :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland