walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Taransay and Seaforth Island.

Taransay and Seaforth Island.

Postby FMCKIE » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:08 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Ben Raah (Taransay), Eilean Shiphoirt (Seaforth Island)

Date walked: 06/07/2010

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hill : Ben Raah. (267m) Marilyn.

Island : Taransay. (Off the west coast of Harris.)

In the days that followed our visit to the remote Marilyns on the Bishop Islands I finished the Marilyns as far as the Sound of Harris. I moved to Harris and camped at the campsite at Horgabost. Ian joined me as he was eager to bag Ben Raah and I was certainly glad of the company crossing the sound of Taransay in my wee Yamaha. The weather had been very strong winds accompanied with squally showers so we just got on with the Marilyns on Harris itself.
Tuesday morning I awoke to find the wind died down and made a dash down to the shore to see what the sea was like. It looked calm although worryingly I could see waves crashing on to the Corran Ra some 2 miles distant. (A sand spit on Taransay)
It was now or never so Ian and myself made our way down to the beach grabbing a couple of pies and a packet of hobnobs should we get stranded if the weather changed. Little did we know it was the calm before a ferocious storm that was very unseasonable and caused a number of small boats to be rescued.
The crossing went very nervously and once past the headland we had a mile exposed to the atlantic before reaching the shelter of Taransay. The waves were more rollers from the swell so didn’t cause anything to alarming but I was very worried as the wind was now increasing.
We made the decision this would be a grab a bag an run job. There would be no time for sight seeing or we could end up there for days. It was reassuring to reach the bay and the waters were almost flat calm once in.

In the Bay now.

The boat sitting on the white sands of Taransay.

Ian on the summit.

Now once we left the summit the winds had now changed direction and increased. The sea was very different once down on the beach. We had a strong on shore winds with now crashing waves.
A number of attempts were made to get off the beach before being washed and blown back. The boat had been taking in water from the waves and it was getting a bit desperate now. The only option I could see was for me to hold the boat at waist depth and start the engine and put it into gear straight away. Hopefully get myself on board unharmed as well. I had never done this before, never had the need but thankfully it worked and we headed out.
Getting off the beach was just the start and looking ahead I just couldn’t believe how big the waves were now out on the sound of Taransay. I looked for the closest beach and there was one about a mile away but it would involve getting the boat over sand dunes and then a huge walk back. It looked the only option and I told Ian that we were probably not going to reach the beach. I should at this point of told him we were not going to make Horgabost beach and Ian told me later he was terrified thinking we were going to end up swimming!
The crossing was rough and we did take in water slowing us up but making us more stable. Neither of us spoke and the elation on reaching the beach I realised just how much the adrenaline had been pumping. I met our neighbour in the campsite later and he was amazed we managed to get back, he wasn’t the only one.

Rain lashes the tent in the campsite.

Here are a few pictures of the sea when the rain stopped.

HILL : Eilean shiophort. (217m)

Island : Seaforth Island. ( Within the sea loch Seaforth.)

It was my final day on Harris and I would be making my way to Skye to the island of Scalpay in the afternoon. I had hoped to do Scarp but the swell in the channel really put me off so I headed for Seaforth Island instead as it was in the shelter of a sea loch.
The approach was difficult as there is little in the way of beaches more boulders than anything else and any slipways are private. I did find a launch point at Scaladal but it was beside a fish farm and they didn’t seem over the moon at my presence all the same they didn’t say anything just got a feeling.

Landed on the rocks.

It was difficult to find a landing spot due to again boulder fields but once on I was able to rope the boat and use fishfarm rubbish (Plastic feed containers) to make a boy should the tide come that far.
The Island is pretty bare of anything and I wore shorts to climb it as I reckoned there would be no ticks here. A rescue helicopter was circling nearby and it all didn’t feel at all remote. I made the summit just as the rain began to lash.

Rescue chopper

Looking down Loch Seaforth. The remote area Park is to the left.

A wet summit pic.

It was a fast exit after as the rain battered down. When i returned I looked as if I swam across and I was able to pour a mug full of water out my boots before getting into the van.

Fast exit in the lashing rain.

HILL : Glas Bheinn Mor. (570m)

I added this hill as it was such a contrast to the day earlier. I got off the ferry on Skye at 6pm and headed down to loch Ainort. I wanted to stay here with the intention of heading up this loch in the boat to Scalpay in the morning. It was such a nice evening I took in the Marilyn Glas Bheinn Mor beside me that evening. It was hard to believe that the rain lashed Seaforth Island was the same day. Cracking hill it was.

Fantastic evening to be on the summits.

Glas bheinn Mor from evening camp beside loch Ainort
FMCKIE

Sub 2000:6   

Re: Taransay and Seaforth Island.

Postby mountain coward » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:11 am

Unfortunately can't see your pics as my work's 'filter' is blocking them! :(

I'm starting to think this Marilyning is much more fun than Munroing! Think I'll swap...
mountain coward

Postby FMCKIE » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:15 am

Funny you should say that. At work myself but so far only done a trip report on walkhighlands. :D Best go and see if everyone is still there.
FMCKIE

Sub 2000:6   

Postby mountain coward » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:16 am

Your pictures will be there - just my work's websurfing filter blocks ones hosted elsewhere...
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland