walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hill of the Wirren and Badenam hill

Hill of the Wirren and Badenam hill

Postby Benaden887 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:36 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Badandun Hill, Hill of Wirren

Date walked: 07/04/2015

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 935m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Tuesday day 2 - I`ve cleared with the warden to stay another day - hot shower makes the difference - Up 0630 away by 0700 - last night spent on how best to cover the hill I want to do - Head back to Ezdell and enter the unamed glen to Stonyford for the Hill of the Wirren. There`s a clutter of L/R about the farm which I bypass striking strait thro heather and grouse to reach a L/R track which I follow and leave the birds in peace.
Greengarbed guy are chasing sheep down from the higher reaches - maybe a head count or market - coming towards me I ask one if I`m OK for the hill - a nod and theyre past me. The track ends to follw a line of grouse buts over the hill - a peaty dip then the top. A brief halt at the concrete trig then a swift return to the car - 6km 480mtr just over 2hrs Badenam Hill - search a Kirriemuir for a garage - hardlly anyone knows where it is - Find one and onto Glenisla Fergus farm and the L/R track to Craig Lair - cross the burn and head past a second set of grouse buts. These are not as defined as the previous hill which were set with stone and turf had a decent trail to them - here they were wooden slats 2metre
square, knocked into the ground - many broken- with hardly a path to them- but large patches of burnt heather gave easy passage to the trig and return to the car.- It`s the Police - looking for a man lost on Glas Moal - I shake my head having seen nobody on this hill - hope they find him 5.5km 405mtr just under 2 hrs. Back to the hostel I still have daylite so stop at gr321658 for the path over Adenaich to Cornwarn - though not a Graham it is included in Dempster`s book - so I did it anyway 7km 400mtr 2hrs. Feeling my legs now - its car bridge hostel - a hot shower followed by Haggis Neeps an Tatties - seen enroute- Lapwing s -one doing the broken wing routine, grouse and mair grouse - many dead things on the road - havvin said that - sadly ran over a henbird myself, bugger playong chichen wi me, having slowed down it crossed the road then ran back under my rear wheel- a herd of deer in Glenisla plenty of sheep a trio of highland cattle frogs lizards and a rather large owl - The weather still good - bring on the morn`.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Benaden887
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:153   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:46
Wainwrights:39   
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland