walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The THREE in Arrochar

The THREE in Arrochar

Postby id FOR » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:34 am

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme, Beinn Narnain, Ben Vane

Date walked: 20/03/2016

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 20 km

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Welcome to everyone, who is reading and watching that. It' s my first report here :crazy:
Do not hesitate to reply me if you find some mistake in text. Sorry guys I' m not a native speaker, so I' m doing the mistakes.
Anyway, who am I? Just another Czech guy who is walking in Scottish Highlands time by time. It depends on free time. But I promise, if I will be writing a report, it will be about more pictures and less words. I hope :)

I got off the bus in Arrochar village before 8 am on Sunday. Lovely morning out there. Loch Long was so calm and reflecting the Cobbler and Beinn Narnain. Two pictures could say more than the thousand words :D

25657149230_2bdc7daae1_z.jpg
good morning Loch Long

25657139480_869e2c757f_z.jpg
calm water

I started my walk through the Glen Loin at 8.30 am. First part of the track was so easy and quiet. All the way I was passing along "A' Chrois ridge" and I was thinking : "One day I must go up to the summit of A' Chrois" because it looks like one of the best places for taking a picture of Loch Lomond." . Oh well, so one day :wink:

25957699865_133e83734c_z.jpg
on my way to Ben Vane

25957689505_e54902e10a_z.jpg
A' Chrois

I was lucky when I met Mr. Excavator and his friend. They've just showed me the right turn for Ben Vane. :D

25957681735_8c9e977246_z.jpg
two relaxing machines ;-)

The first ascent of the day was full of interesting views on Loch Sloy, Ben Vorlich, Ben Lui or Ben Lomond. Simply I could say that chance to see the cloud free munros was 100% . Lucky me and lucky everyone on tour in Arrochar in that time.

25957672015_11b14c8434_z.jpg
view on Loch Sloy

25836858282_8a1bf3f186_z.jpg
view to Ben Lui and Ben Oss

You could see even three lochs (Loch Katrine, Loch Arklet, Loch Lomond) from that side. Really beautiful view.

25957659165_04de9e7b27_z.jpg
three lochs - Lomond - Arklet - Katrine

Finally I reached the summit of Ben Vane past 11 am. Great place for the short break with breathtaking views on every side. I especially like the view on Beinn Ime on the west side and Ben Lui with Ben Oss on northeastern side. :wink:

25328925973_6312db286d_z.jpg
Beinn Ime seen from the summit of Ben Vane

25862674691_bffc3fd735_z.jpg
Ben Lui - Ben Oss - Beinn Dubhchraig zoomed

But the panoramic view is the best option for Beinn Ime.

When I was leaving the summit of Ben Vane at 11.55 am I finally found the fact that my biggest mistake today was not backpacking the sunglasses and sunscreen. :D Anyway, descent to Gleann Uaine was so easy despite the fact that this part of the route is pathless. The pretty same I could say about the ascent through Glas Bheallach to Beinn Ime.

Here is one lovely view to Ben Vane and A' Chrois.

Finally I reached the summit of Beinn Ime at 2 pm. No rush, it' s time to enjoy another outstanding views :wink:

I felt really good so I decided to reach the third munro on my way back to Arrochar village. It was pretty easy to go up to the summit of Beinn Narnain in this kind of weather conditions.

Finally I reached my third munro around 3.30 pm. Well done.

On the other hand I was expecting that the descent from Beinn Narnain will be not so easy for my legs after the hours of walking. It' s not about the difficulty, it' s more about the attention when you are descending through the The Spearhead or Cruach nam Miseag. So I left Beinn Narnain' s summit and went down before 4 pm.

Finally I reached the Arrochar village at 5.30 pm. It was a right time to have an one pint of Guiness before my bus to Glasgow arrived.

To be honest it was great idea to go into the Arrochar Alps this Sunday. I would like to be back soon to walk over Ben Donich and the Brack. And of course "A'Chrois and his ridge" is on my "TO-GO" list as well.

Hope that you enjoyed my report nr. 1
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by id FOR on Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
id FOR
Mountaineer

Re: The THREE in Arrochar

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:59 am

Good effort and you deserved your pint after that, pity I could not open your photographs though, next time, and there will difinately be a next time. Glad you enjoyed your day.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Petr Dakota » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:08 am

Well done and congratulations for your 1st report ! :clap: :thumbup: :clap: Hope many more will come :wink:
Well, another Czech guy :D welcome on the board ! :D
My 1st report here was also from Arrochar Alps - February 2015 :D
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=49293

Unfortunately I can't see the photos even tried by laptop & phone... :?
All the Best and enjoy the hillwalking 8)
Petr

P.S. don't hesitate to contact me ( easy by czech language for us :lol: ) if you will want or need, I will be happy to help. You used bus for the trip, I dont know if you have a car...? Some remote & beautiful areas is hard to get by public transport...so maybe you can join me for some trips. Glasgow your base ?
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby Petr Dakota » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:31 am

Petr Dakota wrote:Well done and congratulations for your 1st report ! :clap: :thumbup: :clap: Hope many more will come :wink:

Petr

P.S. don't hesitate to contact me ( easy by czech language for us :lol: ) if you will want or need, I will be happy to help ( if I will be able for ). You used bus for the trip, I dont know if you have a car...? Some remote & beautiful areas is hard to get by public transport...so maybe you can join me for some trips. Glasgow your base ?
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:34 am

I can't see the pics either. It may be that you've loaded very large files. I've found that it's better if, when you load the BBC link, you don't set the size anything larger than "MEDIUM" - 450 x 800 if I remember correctly.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby id FOR » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:29 am

The Rodmiester wrote:Good effort and you deserved your pint after that, pity I could not open your photographs though, next time, and there will difinately be a next time. Glad you enjoyed your day.

Thank you very much for these kind of words. That was my fault with the process of sharing the photos. I didn' t read terms and conditions very well and copied the links with full-size resolution which was wrong decision. Right now everything is working fine and I' ve just uploaded resized resolution (all of them). So finally you could see the picture from my walk right now. Enjoy ;-)
id FOR
Mountaineer

Postby id FOR » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:32 am

Petr Dakota wrote:
Petr Dakota wrote:Well done and congratulations for your 1st report ! :clap: :thumbup: :clap: Hope many more will come :wink:

Petr

P.S. don't hesitate to contact me ( easy by czech language for us :lol: ) if you will want or need, I will be happy to help ( if I will be able for ). You used bus for the trip, I dont know if you have a car...? Some remote & beautiful areas is hard to get by public transport...so maybe you can join me for some trips. Glasgow your base ?

Oh yes, my fault. Didn' t use the Flickr' s resized photos so many days so I uploaded the links with full resolution.
I' m really sorry for that.

Check the report now. Everything is right and correct. Enjoy the photos.

CZECH QUOTE : proste chybicka se vloudi ;-) chytremu napovez, hloupeho trkni ;-)
id FOR
Mountaineer

Postby id FOR » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:36 am

Alteknacker wrote:I can't see the pics either. It may be that you've loaded very large files. I've found that it's better if, when you load the BBC link, you don't set the size anything larger than "MEDIUM" - 450 x 800 if I remember correctly.

Hi there Alteknacker,

oh yes, that was my fault to copy the links with full size resolution. I' ve just found this fact in the morning and corrected that big mistake promptly..

Thank you very much for your information. Much appreciated for that.

Have a good day.
id FOR
Mountaineer

Postby Petr Dakota » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:53 am

id FOR wrote:
Petr Dakota wrote:

Petr

Oh yes, my fault. Didn' t use the Flickr' s resized photos so many days so I uploaded the links with full resolution.
I' m really sorry for that.

Check the report now. Everything is right and correct. Enjoy the photos.

CZECH QUOTE : proste chybicka se vloudi ;-) chytremu napovez, hloupeho trkni ;-)

Glad you had the views in such a clear day 8) some great photos there :clap:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby id FOR » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:00 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Good effort and you deserved your pint after that, pity I could not open your photographs though, next time, and there will difinately be a next time. Glad you enjoyed your day.

actually, a few galleries from past you should find here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pavel_lesnik/albums

enjoy
id FOR
Mountaineer

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:04 pm

That's much better, some excellent photographs.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Chris Mac » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:16 pm

A stunning set of photos, I took shots of the same reflections on Loch Long at the end of December when I was up at Arrochar. :clap:
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Postby snowgoose » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:30 pm

Well done - brilliant pics. :clap:
snowgoose
Mountaineer

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland