walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

White sands, hidden cove & hermit's castle at Achmelvich

White sands, hidden cove & hermit's castle at Achmelvich

Postby dogplodder » Tue May 03, 2016 9:00 pm

Route description: Achmelvich Beach and Alltan'abradhan

Date walked: 01/05/2016

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The weather forecast for our weekend stay at the Lochinver Bunkhouse was unseasonably wintry and had I not been booked in and paid up I might have thought twice about going! But despite showers of snow and hail we'd already had a successful day with five of us climbing Canisp, five climbing Spidean Coinich and two walking to Stoer Point. Low cloud and rain had been predicted for the Sunday but it was surprisingly bright and sunny at 9.40 as we walked along to the local church where we got a warm welcome from the Lochinver folk, along with tea and coffee.

Out of consideration for the weather we had decided on a coastal walk so after an early lunch headed for Achmelvich where we parked in the car park between the beach and the Youth Hostel. We started by heading through the gate with a sign that says "Croft access only" (which we took to apply to vehicles rather than walkers) and a sign for Alltanabradhan.

IMG_0080-large.JPG

The sky was encouragingly blue when we set off but we didn't have a blue sky for the whole walk, although we did manage to dodge the showers. We followed the coastal path which undulates through the rocky landscape giving occasional glimpses of the turquoise sea down to the left.

IMG_0081c-large.JPG

Looking back towards Achmelvich
IMG_0083c-large.JPG

IMG_0084c-large.JPG

We saw a gravel track coming in from the right at which point the path runs parallel to it until a wooden sign indicates where to turn right, just before a group of holiday cottages.

Holiday cottages
IMG_0085-large.JPG

Grassy path running alongside the remains an old stone wall and house
IMG_0086c-large.JPG

Approaching Alltanabradhan - a former corn mill
IMG_0087c-large.JPG

After crossing the stepping stones by the old mill we continued on the path which met up with the road which we followed as far as Clachtoll beach, passing a loch on the right.

Maiden Loch
IMG_0088c-large.JPG

Clachtoll beach
IMG_0092c-large.JPG

IMG_0093c-large.JPG

No blue skies now
IMG_0095-large.JPG

Split rock
IMG_0094-large.JPG

We returned along the road and path to the old corn mill decorated by its various millstones. A sign explains how a John MacLeod is said to have procured his millstones from the top of Suilven in the 1800s, which, if it's true, is some climb down with a heavy weight! From the old mill we followed the path down to the hidden cove with its tiny beach which would be an idyllic spot when the sun is shining making the waters the turquoise so characteristic of the west coast.

IMG_0098c-large.JPG

Port Alltan na Bradhan
IMG_0097c-large.JPG

Path back to Achmelvich
IMG_0099c-large.JPG

Achmelvich beach
IMG_0100c-large.JPG

From the beach we walked through the campsite and, once past the campsite shop, turned right heading for a stile over the fence. There are faint traces of intermittent path across fairly rough terrain until the tiny house built from concrete blocks comes into view. It was built in the 1950s by a newly qualified architect but he only slept in it one night and I'm surprised he got planning permission for such a quirkily ugly construction in such a beautiful spot.

Hermit's castle
IMG_0104-large.JPG

The entrance is narrow and I only just squeezed in with rucksack on. Inside is tiny with a a fire place on one side and a concrete sleeping trough on the other. We had five of us inside standing up and we could have fitted more in but there would have been no room to sit down. it originally had glass windows and a door, but not since the place was vandalised in the 1970s. The entrance is above a rocky drop into the sea so anyone spending the night there would have to take care stumbling out of the door bleary-eyed in the morning.

Taken inside
IMG_0102-large.JPG

Checking the chimney
IMG_0106l-large.JPG

After a final wander round the beach we returned to Lochinver Bunkhouse where some of the group had gone ahead and prepared an amazing three course meal with a choice for starter, main course and dessert - no roughing it there! :clap:

Loch Inver (taken on another day)
P8170081-large.JPG
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: White sands, hidden cove & hermit's castle at Achmelvich

Postby jamesb63 » Wed May 04, 2016 1:07 pm

Enjoyed your report we do have some beautiful wild spots
Lochinver I have special memories of :D
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Munros:218   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby basscadet » Wed May 04, 2016 4:32 pm

Yes I've got some special memories of Lochinver too.. Such a nice place for a day trip, and this coastline was a real favourite - Thanks for posting :clap:
All the kids from that area used to get bussed over to Golspie for School through the week - my first crush was on a Lochinver boy call Gudgeon - Oh the laughs :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby dogplodder » Sun May 08, 2016 6:16 pm

jamesb63 wrote:Enjoyed your report we do have some beautiful wild spots
Lochinver I have special memories of :D

So much to explore - beaches, rocky coastline, caves and such iconic hills! :D
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Sun May 08, 2016 6:17 pm

basscadet wrote:Yes I've got some special memories of Lochinver too.. Such a nice place for a day trip, and this coastline was a real favourite - Thanks for posting :clap:
All the kids from that area used to get bussed over to Golspie for School through the week - my first crush was on a Lochinver boy call Gudgeon - Oh the laughs :lol:

Gudgeon! :lol:
dogplodder

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland