walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Canter up Kerloch

Canter up Kerloch

Postby superstar_tradesman » Thu May 05, 2016 12:25 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Kerloch

Date walked: 30/04/2016

Time taken: 1.25 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 400m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'd had my eye on Kerloch for a long time. So the fine weather forecast, and a forlorn hope that I might meet my Strava April challenge of clocking up 1750m climb during my month's runs, drew me north, for a lovely sunny, snowy run.

The journey there wasn't without incident though. I'd been surprised at the amount of snow on the Sidlaws behind Dundee. And then, when I turned off the A90 at Northwaterbridge to be confronted by a sign saying the Cairn o'Mount snow gates were closed, I had to change plans and head over the Slug road instead, with all its cyclists. I knew I wanted to take the back road from the Slug Road round towards Strachan, but hadn't bothered to check my map to confirm where the junction was. So I turned off at the first sharp bend onto a minor road, up a hill through some thick forest…and then found myself at the Durris TV transmitter :shock:

Back on track, somewhat embarrassed, and I was soon at the nice car park north of Kerloch, beside the Knockburn sporting loch centre, with its zorbing and model aeroplane fliers.

2016-04-30 12.11.43.jpg
The track south towards Kerloch

I was soon on my way south along a very good track, which gradually climbed into the forest, then past the old shack that looks like it's been transported from 1870s Montana. I left the track to join the path that climbed more steeply through the trees, and as the tree cover thickened, the snow deepened, as no sunlight had made it through to melt it. I was glad I was wearing studs—the snow was soft, but slippy.

I'd hoped the forest might be some of that lovely open Deeside pinewood, but nope, it was that dense intimidating Forestry Commission sitka spruce. But soon I was out into the open, where the sun had melted most of the snow. That left the track resembling a dry river bed, so trying to run on it was like running on awkward shaped ball bearings. Not recommended…

2016-04-30 12.46.53.jpg
The Kerloch path…who's got a steamroller?

At one point, further up, snow melt had turned the path into a raging burn. But, after branching off the main path to a smaller one, I was soon at the top, to be met by the wonderful panorama I'd hoped it would be. Snowy Mount Battock, Clachnaben and Morven to the west, green Hill of Fare and Bennachie to the north, Aberdeen and the coast to the east…and a bunch of windmills to the south.

2016-04-30 12.59.53.jpg
West to the snowy hills

2016-04-30 12.59.55.jpg
North to green hills

A quick rest, and I headed back down the hill the way I came up, taking extra care not to wreck my ankles on the first part of the path. I was soon back at the car, eating lunch and pondering whether I had the legs to go for Cairn-mon-earn as well…

2016-04-30 13.45.29.jpg
Another view of Kerloch, from the NE
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

superstar_tradesman
Mountain Walker

Munros:170   Corbetts:31
Fionas:16   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:82   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland