walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blabheinn

Blabheinn

Postby steven65 » Fri May 13, 2016 6:25 pm

Munros included on this walk: Blà Bheinn

Date walked: 09/05/2016

Time taken: 8.15 hours

Distance: 15.2 km

Ascent: 1196m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Skye what a wonderful place ! I`d initially planned to come here in June & go to the Ullapool area in May - but the weather was forecast to be excellent for the next week , so I came here in May instead & hope to go up towards Ullapool in June.
I`d always planned to do this trip myself - no Oskar ,Skye isn`t a place for dogs IMHO - on my Vespa GTS 250 ie - to incorporate my love of Scootering as well as bag several Munros !
I left home having pre booked the ferry at 6pm from Mallaig to Armadale on Skye.
Unfortunatley I got "done" for speeding at Luib near Crianlarich - 75MPH in a 60 zone.
This was not the start I`d hoped for and cast a cloud over my mood for 24hrs -until I told myself to shake if off -
or it would ruin my trip.
Once on Skye at Armadale I drove to the lay by past Kilmarie on the B8083. Leaving the Vespa here I made my way over the hill on a decent track to the new Bothy at Camasunary , this took me 1hr & 18 mins -it was V HOT ! The new bothy was quite busy with 2 older guys from Portsmouth there , 2 young guys doing the Skye Trail , later on a guide with a group of 5 arrived. The bothy was nice , clean fitted out with wooden platform type bunk beds. I had some supper & some wine , chatted to the folk there & went to bed. I was up early at 5am on Mon 9/5 and off & walking for 5.40 am- it was a beautiful morning. Everyone in the bothy was up -all planning an early take -off.
I took the route up Blabheinn`s south facing ridge - as described elsewhere 1 of Scotlands` top 20 hill routes ! It was marvelous , perhaps a wee bit out of the way from the "normal" car park area - but well worth doing it from the south. As I`d started early I `d bagged the hill & was back at my Vespa at 12.40 . I chatted to 2 locals at the lay by who were very friendly and quite interested in my Vespa. After changing & putting my gear away I made off for the bright lights of Portree. I went to the excellent campsite at Torvaig -on the Staffin road - A855 - about 1.5 miles out of town. Tent up , shower & changed again I then walked into town for a few pints of expensive Guinness & something to eat . I noticed a café popping in to ask when they opened in the morning -9am was the reply. So I`d set my mind to be there at 9 before heading onto Glenbrittle.
Once back at Torvaig campsite I chatted to other folk there before having an early night. I was up at 6.30 , made a coffee and tidied all my stuff away before packing up and leaving for the town centre. I filled the scooter up with petrol & then went for breakfast which was great . Onwards now to Glenbrittle Campsite for 2 days. I`d picked the best week weather-wise to be in Skye -it was the hottest May day ever recoerded there !!!!!
After I pitched my tent at Glembrittle I decided to bag Sgurr Dubh Mor and Sgurr Alasdair - I`d climbed Sgurr nan Eag last year whilst on holiday , taking Oskar with me - my pet Standard Schnauzer - however as I`ve said I was alone this time . Setting off at exactly 12 noon it was HOT & sunny , on the path near Sron na Ciche I almost stood on an Adder sunbathing on the stone track -it gave me quite a fright ! I made a short video of it & put it on TH via F-Book . On up via Coir a Ghrunnda to the lochan , meeting 6 folk on the way .

more soon to finish 24/5/16

5 days in Skye did this from the bothy
steven65
Mountain Walker

Munros:262   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland