walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Schiehallion

Schiehallion

Postby Physicistinboots » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:36 pm

Route description: Schiehallion

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 02/05/2010

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 780m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I have finally got around to rewriting this walk report, I wrote an extensive version shortly after but managed to lose it somewhere on the computer. It now being over two months later I have forgotten useful details like exact time etc. However I do remember enough for a short report.
Unlike the previous day when I completed the Cairn Mairg group the weather was a least clear enough to get a decent view from the summit. intermittent rain/sleet/snow fall depending on how close to the top you were. Pretty busy which I guess is to be expected on a bank holiday weekend. We were even entertained at the top by a chap with a set of bagpipes, rather him than me carrying them up :)
IMG_2046.JPG

Navigation wise we took the popular route which it would take some skill to get lose, especially as you can just follow the crowds. We repeatedly overtook and were overtaken by the same group as we alternately took mini scenery/drinks breaks. Fairly easy going, a well trodden path for most of the route.
Near the summit it got a bit trickier with a boulder field to scramble across, made harder when even with gloves on I ceased to be able to feel my hands :?
Once at the top glorious views if a bit grey. A bit cold and crowded to hang around for very long so we made speedy work of the descent in time for lunch.
IMG_2047.JPG
Physicistinboots

Munros:66   Corbetts:1
Donalds:4
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Schiehallion

Postby Penguin » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:13 pm

Nice report and pictures. Hoping to do this one later in the year. Don't think I'll be talking a set of bagpipes with me though!

Penguin
8)
Penguin
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Schiehallion

Postby Paul Webster » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:20 pm

Was it someone's last munro?
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland