walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn Gorm, Meall Garbh, Carm Mairg, Cgeag Mhor

Carn Gorm, Meall Garbh, Carm Mairg, Cgeag Mhor

Postby David Lyall » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:17 pm

Route description: Càrn Gorm, Meall Garbh, Càrn Mairg & Creag Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Gorm, Càrn Mairg, Creag Mhòr (Meall na Aighean), Meall Garbh (Càrn Mairg)

Date walked: 03/08/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 1310m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Glen Lyon 007.jpg
near the top of Carn Gorm looking down into Glen Lyon
Late start for me left home @ 08.45 arrived a couple of hours later and park behind the kiosk and set of up through the gates and followed the path until it crossed the rickety burn, like many before me I followed the very distinctive path which followed the burn only to realise that I should have followed the edge of the forest taking me on to the flank, no real harm done corrected my course and reached the top of Carn Gorm at 12.45, weather was good and views were great.
Glen Lyon 008.jpg
Garn Gorn with Loch rannoch in the distance

Decided to head over to Meall Garbh before stopping for a bite to eat. It has a very distinctive summit making use of all the rusty fence post.
Glen Lyon 019.jpg
cairn on Meall Garbh with Schiehallion in the distance

After a bite to eat the cloud came in and stayed until I had was approaching Carn Mairg, passed my first walker of the day here he had started at Kinloch Rannoch and was heading in a different direction. I climbd the Tor first and got good views up Glen Lyon and the summit of Carn Mairg.
Glen Lyon 033.jpg
at the top of Creag Mhor looking back to Carm Mairg

Headed east down then turned towards Creag Mhor spent a while looking for it on the OS map I should have been looking for ( Meall Na Aighean) Why make things easy? Still had clear skies and the best views up Glen Lyon. Nothing left but to head back down to Invervar.
Glen Lyon 038.jpg
David Lyall
Munro compleatist

Munros:200   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   

Re: Carn Gorm, Meall Garbh, Carm Mairg, Cgeag Mhor

Postby iainwatson » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:46 am

good report,i'm planning this walk for thu,really looking forward to it
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Re: Carn Gorm, Meall Garbh, Carm Mairg, Cgeag Mhor

Postby monty » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:14 pm

Its a nice round when you can see where you are going :lol: I was lucky with the weather when I was up there. Well done. :D
monty

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland