walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Worth turning down a lot of money to keep these beaches

Worth turning down a lot of money to keep these beaches

Postby dogplodder » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:11 pm

Route description: Camusdarach Beach

Date walked: 22/05/2016

Distance: 2 km

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was a last minute decision to come to Arisaig. The original plan was to take the boat over to Barra and work our way up throught the Uists to Harris and Lewis, staying in B & Bs as we went. We had held off booking anything to see what the weather was doing but when we got the green light on that there was still a niggle because staying in B & Bs can be tricky with dogs.

So when we found a dog friendly cottage in Arisaig, free the week we wanted, we went there instead. We had a fantastic week of weather exploring the beautiful coastline and visiting two of the Small Isles. No regrets at all. The cottage was great and the owners who lived next door couldn't have been more helpful. It can be found under "Bluebell Cottage, Arisaig" and as photos will show we landed on the right week for bluebells!

On our first day we headed for Camusdarach to see why this location was chosen for the 1980s film "Local Hero" and with Mark Knopfler's wistful "Going Home" tune playing in our heads we parked at the car park off the B8008 by Glenancross. The walk starts by crossing a footbridge which is signed 'To the beaches' - one of the delights of Camusdarach being that it boasts three pristine beaches, not just one.

The path was lined with spring flowers.

Bluebells
DSC_0086-large.JPG

Hawthorn
IMG_0358-large.JPG

Broom
IMG_0362-large.JPG

IMG_0363-large.JPG

IMG_0364-large.JPG

IMG_0365-large.JPG

IMG_0366-large.JPG

What immediately struck us about these beaches was that we had them almost to ourselves and what was remarkable about that was that it was glorious weather on a Sunday afternoon in late May. Compare this with most of the holiday beaches you can fly to in Europe or the Mediterranean - covered in sun loungers and parasols, fringed by pedalos and surfers and backed by concrete hotels and apartment blocks. Of course it's the weather that tips the balance.... but on a day like we got, I know which I prefer.

IMG_0370-large.JPG

IMG_0371-large.JPG

IMG_0372-large.JPG

IMG_0373-large.JPG

IMG_0375-large.JPG

Sea thrift
IMG_0378-large.JPG

Back to the film. The unlikely hero of the tale lived in a shack just above the waterline and since he owned the beach the proposed US development couldn't go ahead unless he agreed to sell, which he refused to do at any price - all much to the consternation of the dollar-hungry local community.

View of Eigg and Rum from where Ben's shack would have been - no wonder he wouldn't sell
IMG_0384-large.JPG

IMG_0385-large.JPG

Rubha da Chuain peninsula
IMG_0387-large.JPG

IMG_0391-large.JPG

From the beach beyond the Rubha da Chuain peninsula we climbed wooden steps to a kissing gate which leads to a path alongside a fence.

The gate
IMG_0392-large.JPG

Path leading to the Camusdarach campsite
IMG_0393-large.JPG

Bluebell woods
IMG_0396-large.JPG

This path leads to the campsite, which it crosses to connect with a tarmac drive.

A week of wall to wall sunshine and hardly anyone was here!
IMG_0397-large.JPG

The tarmac drive curves left to an old stone-built farm where you bear right to pass through the farm buildings and on to a track.

Farm buildings
IMG_0399-large.JPG

After the farm we saw the clumps of pines but our initial attempt to reach them was thwarted by a locked gate and no way through for the dogs. So we retraced our steps and found another way round which may be the way we should have gone in the first place.

Grassy path passes through what's left of two clumps of pine trees
IMG_0400-large.JPG

Looking back at the pines
IMG_0401-large.JPG

From there the path slopes down to rejoin the outward route near the footbridge and back to the car park.

After frolics in the surf these two slept like logs :D
IMG_0403-large.JPG
Last edited by dogplodder on Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Worth turning down a lot of money to keep these beaches

Postby tweedledog » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:03 am

Always good to see dog heaven :)
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:14 am

Such an amazing spot, one of the best. The coast near Arisaig has suffered a little from expansion of mobile home type sites, but at the end of the day you only need to walk a VERY short distance to escape from that, and the beaches nearer the Mallaig end of that wonderful bit of coast are still sublime and empty.

Still one of my favourite films that.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby basscadet » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:54 pm

Arisaig really does have some of the best beaches in the mainland, and not many seem to venture that far, so always a great spot to head to when the weather is good :) You got some lovely pictures, made even bonnier by the current weather outside :wink:
Was thinking I might go up there to take some sea air to aid ankle recovery while I am signed off :D Just need to hold out a bit longer until I can drive again, and get the weather for it :crazy:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby dogplodder » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:35 pm

tweedledog wrote:Always good to see dog heaven :)

The whole week was dog heaven. :D
dogplodder

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:44 pm

So that's where you had been when we were on the Rum Cuillin, looks a fantastic place, and that wee campsite looks so good, I must add this to my wish list. Your right about those beaches, I thought the same when I cycled the outer Hebrides, wonderful, just had to go for a swim, didn't stay in for very long though.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby dogplodder » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:17 am

Mal Grey wrote:Such an amazing spot, one of the best. The coast near Arisaig has suffered a little from expansion of mobile home type sites, but at the end of the day you only need to walk a VERY short distance to escape from that, and the beaches nearer the Mallaig end of that wonderful bit of coast are still sublime and empty.

Still one of my favourite films that.

Agree about the mobile home sites but as you say it's easy to avoid them - and yes it's a great film! :D
dogplodder

Postby Sgurr » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:13 am

dogplodder wrote:Back to the film. The unlikely hero of the tale lived in a shack just above the waterline and since he owned the beach the proposed US development couldn't go ahead unless he agreed to sell, which he refused to do at any price - all much to the consternation of the dollar-hungry local community.

Unfortunately, the real life version goes that the beach is also a SSI which the US development corp wish to turn into a golf course. The unlikely hero finds that his house is surrounded by huge mounds of earth, and even his water supply is cut of sporadically. Then the rest of the development doesn't go ahead only because the US developer is miffed about wind-farms spoiling the view from his golf course. I don't know if the hero gets a happy ending, but the US developer gets to run for President. You couldn't make it up. BTW, we have just come back from the Hebrides, and your dogs will enjoy the beautiful Harris beaches just as much if you can manage to book something for next year.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby dogplodder » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:29 pm

basscadet wrote:Was thinking I might go up there to take some sea air to aid ankle recovery while I am signed off :D Just need to hold out a bit longer until I can drive again, and get the weather for it :crazy:

Sea air has magical effects on recovering ankles - definitely the thing to do. :wink:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:33 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:So that's where you had been when we were on the Rum Cuillin, looks a fantastic place, and that wee campsite looks so good, I must add this to my wish list. Your right about those beaches, I thought the same when I cycled the outer Hebrides, wonderful, just had to go for a swim, didn't stay in for very long though.

That wee camp site had loads of space in May but when my son tried to book in school holidays the whole of July was fully booked. :(
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:50 pm

Sgurr wrote:
Unfortunately, the real life version goes that the beach is also a SSI which the US development corp wish to turn into a golf course. The unlikely hero finds that his house is surrounded by huge mounds of earth, and even his water supply is cut of sporadically. Then the rest of the development doesn't go ahead only because the US developer is miffed about wind-farms spoiling the view from his golf course. I don't know if the hero gets a happy ending, but the US developer gets to run for President. You couldn't make it up. BTW, we have just come back from the Hebrides, and your dogs will enjoy the beautiful Harris beaches just as much if you can manage to book something for next year.

Hmm, yes, not such a happy ending at Balmedie. :?

Thanks for the tip off about the Harris beaches - would love to go there. :D
dogplodder

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland