walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Gargunnock Marilyns

Gargunnock Marilyns

Postby weaselmaster » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:21 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Carleatheran, Stronend

Date walked: 26/06/2016

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 24 km

Ascent: 743m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another solo day doing Marilyns - chose the Gargunnock Hills as they were nearby and looked a good circuit. Bit of difficulty getting to the start - took the road from Kippen to Fintry (where I ended up having missed the tuen off for Craigend Farm). The app on WH suggests you can drive via Gribloch Farm, which is a private road. Anyway the track along from Craigend is indeed a farm track for most of its length - I was really delighted to have my MX-5 rather than the Yeti for that :wink: . Anyway arrived at the parking area and got ready, whilst 2 other carloads of walkers arrived - who'd have thought Marilyns were so popular :)

My route followed the WH route. Once up at the Spout of Ballochleam I chose to go for Carleatheran first, taking the path up to Lees Hill and onwards. Boggy in places, particularly near the summit after Blach Craig. Trig point in a shelter. Good views to the South over Earlsburn Reservoirs and the wind farm. From the summit onto hard track for the wind farm. Allowed fast progress but not very restorative. Returned to the Spout where there was a camoflage painted ATV and trailer for all the corpulent corporate bastards who go grouse shooting. I bet they'd not be so keen to shoot the birds if they had to walk 10 miles to do so :problem: I crossed over the gate and started up an ATV track alongside the Boquhan Burn, crossing over at a ford and continuing along the track over some boggy sections. met the otehr walkers who were only doing the one hill.

ImageP1130251 by Al, on Flickr

Stronend
ImageP1130252 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1130254 by Al, on Flickr

Towards Carleatheran
ImageP1130259 by Al, on Flickr

Summit Carleatheran
ImageP1130261 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1130262 by Al, on Flickr

windfarm Track
ImageP1130264 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1130268 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1130270 by Al, on Flickr

Boquan Burn
ImageP1130272 by Al, on Flickr

I continued on to the summit of Stronend where there is another shelter and stone build trig point. Ate my lunch looking over to Earl's Seat. Back down the way I'd come and back to the spout. The rain came on at 1pm, which was later than I'd expected and only had half an hour more walking before getting back to the car.

ImageP1130273 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1130274 by Al, on Flickr

Earls seat
ImageP1130276 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1130279 by Al, on Flickr

Much easier driving the other way back to the A811!
Last edited by weaselmaster on Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Re: Gargunnock Marilyns

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:55 pm

Aye the grouse shooters wee folk with big guns ..a pestilence indeed .
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland