walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Attack of the ticks - Kilmun Arboretum

Attack of the ticks - Kilmun Arboretum

Postby denfinella » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:11 pm

Route description: Kilmun Arboretum

Date walked: 18/06/2016

Time taken: 1.5 hours

Distance: 3 km

Ascent: 200m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

kilmun-arboretum.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Just a few photos from a tick-infested visit to Kilmun Arboretum the other weekend! Quite an interesting (and steep) route here on walkhighlands. The higher section is no longer a waymarked route (though the path still exists on the ground) and has become a bit overgrown in places probably due to reduced footfall. We were glad to have a print out of the route map. Some sections run through shoulder-high bracken in summer, and we spent a good few minutes after the walk picking off more than a dozen ticks from clothes, hands and forearms. Lucky we weren't wearing shorts!

Some good views from higher up though:

1.jpg

Section through bracken:

2.jpg

The higher section is mostly through various conifers:

3.jpg

Lower down the route joins a wider, waymarked trail again:

4.jpg

5.jpg

The last section was the highlight of the walk, amongst eucalyptus and gum trees:

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Sculpture back at the car park:

10.jpg

A good leg-stretcher and indeed some interesting trees... just beware the ticks! :twisted:

Afternoon: Bishop's Glen, Dunoon
Last edited by denfinella on Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Re: Attack of the ticks - Kilmun Arboretum

Postby basscadet » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:54 pm

Well at least the weather was nice for it :) Had a similar problem along the river Ericht path from Blairgowrie at the weekend - fighting through head high foliage most of the way! Don't you just love summer :lol:

I have noticed this in a few places - are the forrestry commision just not maintaining paths any more? I personally think these kind of places are important and these paths are a great loss :?
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby denfinella » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:05 pm

basscadet wrote:Well at least the weather was nice for it :) Had a similar problem along the river Ericht path from Blairgowrie at the weekend - fighting through head high foliage most of the way! Don't you just love summer :lol:

I have noticed this in a few places - are the forrestry commision just not maintaining paths any more? I personally think these kind of places are important and these paths are a great loss :?

Haha, although I'd take head high ferns together with summer weather over clearer paths and winter rainfall any day! Did you find any ticks afterwards though?

I think, at least at Kilmun, the Forestry Commission have just re-jigged the routes. There are still three other waymarked paths, but they've consciously gone and removed this higher one. To be honest the route that's been de-waymarked only visited endless conifers anyway. The eucalyptus trees, gum trees etc. further down are much more interesting!
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:58 pm

Thanks for the update - the bracken looks very high and seem especially bad this year, I got about 20 of them in a single week!

We've now updated the Arboretum description to still have the longer route (the variants are a bit short), but updated for the lack of waymarking etc. and for the bracken growth in summer.

basscadet wrote:I have noticed this in a few places - are the forrestry commision just not maintaining paths any more? I personally think these kind of places are important and these paths are a great loss :?

This is what we are finding - quite a sizeable proportion of forestry commission waymarked routes are being dropped, removed or just having markers taken away, whilst a smaller number of very short trails are being improved. We're seeing this at many locations in all the council areas - Moray, Aberdeenshire, Highland and Argyll, sadly.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland