walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A tough initial climb.

A tough initial climb.

Postby NBrooks » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:43 am

Route description: Càrn na Caim and A'Bhuidheanach Bheag, Drumochter

Munros included on this walk: A' Bhuidheanach Bheag, Càrn na Caim

Date walked: 07/07/2016

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 831m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My first ever post, so a bit brief and a bit sketchy.
I chose this climb for today as it looked not too bad for ascent and also the distance was longer than I have been doing recently. I'm trying to build up my endurance to tackle harder climbs. I was a bit concerned by previous reports that had said it was boggy, so I took my gaiters and waterproofs.
Arrived at lay-by 87 at 7:45am, a little behind schedule as I slept in. Weather was mild and fair with very light breeze. Crossing the road was easy and then I set off up the landrover track. After 20 mins, the seat was beginning to erupt out of every pore. So a brief pause to disrobe (not completely), have a drink and go again. Another 5 mins later on I discovered O'd left my cap behind. After a brief internal debate, I thought it'll probably be there when I get back. That proved to be true as I got in on the way down. However, I hadn't realised the cap was multi purpose she, protection, heat but most of all - a seat band. Climbing higher, the sweat was like a waterfall and running into my eyes all the time - it stung.
The pace I had set was cracking. But as the track steepened I realised that it was too quick so I slowed down to a plod and even at that still needed lots of mini breaks. I was so glad to reach the track divide and stopped for a longer break and a snack.
Recharged, I head to left and the going was easy. The boggy bits had mostly dried up so no problems there either. I missed the fence off to the right as I was too engrossed in following the clear path. So that meant a little bit of back tracking which wasn't to bad as the terrain was reasonable forgiving. Reached the top and basically did an about turn after a quick look around.
I got back to the centre point in good time and set off for the second top. Once again, I was seduced by the track and missed the sharp left turn at the big white stone, so this meant a very steep descent over rough grass. Ultimately it was fine, but was annoyed with myself for making the same error twice in one day.
I passed a couple on their way back down, moving slowly but steadily. Then finished the longish haul up to the top, took a quick picture and started back.
Topofthehill_edited-4.jpg

Here was a real eye opener as I passed a lady who must have been around 70-75 looking like she was out for an afternoon stroll and there was me puffing and beads of sweat (yes, sweat again). I was falloff admiration and hope I can keep going as long. We chatted for a while and then I set off. i warned her about the sharp left.
I reached the centre point and then started down the track. I hadn't realised just how difficult it was to walk on a track with lots of loose boulders so I had to keep to the side whenever possible. Stopped about a quarter of the way down for another snack.
I got back to the car in just under 5 hrs and I was glad to sink into the seat and munch on a few delights. At that moment a light rain started, so that was a bonus that I managed to keep dry.
These two hills took my tally to 45. I have to say it was not the most enjoyable I've ever done. I found the landrover track ascent was just exhausting, coupled with me setting off too quick. The views were never that impressive compared to others I've done.
Lessons learned: Better pacing. Don't lose your hat and take a sweat band. Read the route reports more carefully and consult the map more frequently to prevent backtracking
NBrooks
Mountain Walker

Munros:193   Corbetts:2

Re: A tough initial climb.

Postby simon-b » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:03 pm

Every time you climb a hill, there's something new to learn, N. I don't think any of us ever stop learning. You reached the summits and made it back down OK, that's the main thing. Keep going and that endurance will come :)
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland