walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bruised on Ben Chonzie

Bruised on Ben Chonzie

Postby Kmdow » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:07 pm

Route description: Ben Chonzie via Glen Lednock

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 03/07/2016

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My mum turned 49 last month and she set us a challenge - "lets see how many Munro's we can climb before i'm 50". Challenge accepted.

So we chose Ben Chonzie as our first (documented), and what a day it was. We followed the description route from the site, however when it came to the fork in the path we got a bit stuck...

'Keep following the track and go over a bridge and through the gate. As the climb increases the views back improve and the route up the flank of Ben Chonzie can be seen. Pass the small dam on the Invergeldie Burn and climb up the other side. Where the track splits, keep left on the main track to head uphill.'

Now... there are two dams, both rather small when we're talking the scale of dams. So after much deliberation (waiting on people to pass us so we knew which route to take) we decided on the right! Once we were back on track it was a pretty enjoyable treck, the hill was busy which was nice to see :thumbup:

My mum was quite a distance behind me as we were following the metal fence posts towards the summit and said that "One minute you were walking in front and the next minute you were gone.", this was the point that I fell over :clap: leaving me with huge bruises down my legs.

Minus the battle wounds it felt great to finally conquer our first (documented) Munro together!

IMG_4023.jpg
Busy Hill

IMG_4049.jpg
Views on the way down

IMG_4056.jpg
Couldn't get a photo at the summit as it was too windy so managed to grab one at one of the smaller cairns on the way back once the winds settled

IMG_4029.jpg
Happy about conquering our first Munro!

IMG_4070.jpg
Battle wounds
Kmdow

Munros:18   Corbetts:1
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:12   

Re: Bruised on Ben Chonzie

Postby teaandpies » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:40 am

I enjoyed a seriously wet day on this hill from opposite side of the loch.

Enjoy the hills over the next year and hopefully beyond :wink:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby rockhopper » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:55 am

Well done both of you - doesn't look like you were hanging around either ! Not difficult to lose concentration then slip on the hills - just takes longer to heal up the older you get :roll: Hope you both keep going.....and no need to stop when you're mum reaches 50 :silent: :shh: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:53 am

Well done you two, pity about your fall, but that won't stop you, will it? Too many good times to be had on the hills. Right then Mum here's your target, 20 Munros to be done before your 50 years young. By the way there's nothing better to keep you fit, healthy, young and stress free than to walk the hills. Might just see you two sometime, up a hill of course :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland