walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben More and Stob Binnein

Ben More and Stob Binnein

Postby Stretch » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:39 pm

Route description: Ben More and Stob Binnein

Munros included on this walk: Ben More, Stob Binnein

Date walked: 07/08/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 1335m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I've driven past these two hills dozens of times and I figured it was about time I climb them. Decided to do the route suggested here on the site. Got a late start around 1:30 and the layby was pretty full. Nevertheless, I only met a few people coming down from Ben More on my way up. It was steep, steep, and more steep. Very tiring on the legs. Found a path for pretty much the entire way up and it improved as I reached about the halfway point. It was some effort to get up to the summit but after about 2 hours and 20 mins I was soaking in the fine views. The distant hills were all in silohouette but looked impressive needless to say. The view toward Loch Tay was especially nice. I had the summit of Ben More to myself and so after a good rest and a tricky self portrait I headed down to the bealach to Stob Binnein. Met another climber on my way down who had done Ben More and Stob Binnein but was reascending Ben More :shock: On my way up Stob Binnein my legs and lungs started to fade. Took more breathers on this hill, but finally made it to the top. At this point the clouds had thickened and the wind had picked up. Didn't hang around too long, so down to the bealach and off to the descent path into Benmore Glen. The descent path wasn't all that bad and before long I was back to the car, just under 6 hours, not bad considering how many breathers I needed. Met the guy who was reascending Ben More back at the layby. He was on some journey! Poor guy had cycled up from the south coast of England and had climbed several hills along the way. Guess he thought he was Superman, because he said that after camping below Ben More he was going to wake up, cycle to Fort William, and climb Nevis :shock: All I can say, is better his legs than mine.

All and all a great day out with superb weather and views.

Stone dyke up to Ben More.jpg

Crianlarich.jpg

Ben More Summit.jpg

Ben More Trig Point.jpg

Loch Tay.jpg

Overlooking Crianlarich.jpg

Ben More Summit to Stob Binnein.jpg

Ben Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin.jpg

Crianlarich hills from Ben More.jpg

Surveying the Landscape.jpg

Stob Binnein to An Caisteal.jpg

Stob Binnein 2.jpg

Stob Binnein.jpg

Stob Binnein Summit to Ben Vorlich.jpg

Ben More from Stob Binnein.jpg
Attachments
Ben More Pano.jpg
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Ben More and Stob Binnein

Postby monty » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:54 pm

Nice report Stretch.
Looking at the first picture it would seem that the sun wash shining relentlessly, however there are some fantastic atmosheric shots of the darkening clouds above the surrounding hills and valleys. All in all you had good weather though unlike the mists I have been in lately. :D

Is that the Ben More giant surveying the landscape :D
monty

Postby Stretch » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:21 pm

Thanks Monty, you wouldn't believe how difficult it was to get a pic of the Ben More giant! Can't get anyone from St Andrews to accompany on my walks, so I have to try and set up the self-timer. There is a large drop right below the trig point so I had to try to run around the drop and get myself in place before the camera went off. Took 3 times to get it right :lol:
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Postby kinley » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:20 pm

Nice Day! Better than forecast :lol:

Grand viewpoints these - nice shot along to Loch Tay 8)
kinley

Postby skuk007 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:32 pm

Thanks for those pics, nIce to see the views I missed out on when I did these in low cloud in May. :(
I must make the effort to do more self-portraits. I don't carry a tripod and haven't been on many tops at the same time as other walkers so far, still plenty to do yet. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Alan S » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:44 pm

Another fine report stretch with cracking pictures 8)
Although this pair almost killed me its still one of my favourite days

Thanks
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby Bob Sacamano » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:42 pm

I done these two last Friday and got totally soaked. Cloud level was about 600m I think so no views at all.

These pictures look good . I'll go back and do them in better weather I think.
Bob Sacamano
Munro compleatist

Munros:24   Corbetts:3

Postby Jock McJock » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:17 pm

Great report Stretch. Hoping to grab these in the next week or two as on holiday from work. Not been out in ages so really keen to get back on the hills. Had these in my sights for a while so your report and pics have come along at just the right time. Thanks. :D
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Stretch » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:22 pm

Cheers guys.

Jock, enjoy these two, but I think Alan and I will agree that your legs will remember them for a while :lol:
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Postby Graeme D » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:16 pm

Lovely pics there Stretch. I hope you remembered to include all that running you did against the self-timer on the distance log! :lol:

The clouds may have rolled in on Binnein but this still knocks spots off the day I had on this pair last year. Quite a few unfortunate incidents befell me that day. :(
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Stretch » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:43 pm

Thanks Graeme, I assume you mean that I should stop timing myself against the suggested times for walks or that I did this fairly fast? I thought it was taking me forever to do both hills, it wasn't until I made the descent that my long legs picked up momentum. Fully expected 7 hours for this, but it ended up like 5:50 instead. Any joy I had at doing this quickly was erased the following day on the Monadhliath nightmare walk :lol:
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Postby gaffr » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:50 pm

Good to see someone who has escaped from the clag :D ....the clouds do provide some fine extra interest to the images...apart, that is, from the dark looking one....must have spilled some of its contents :lol:
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Stretch » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:52 pm

gaffr wrote:Good to see someone who has escaped from the clag :D ....the clouds do provide some fine extra interest to the images...apart, that is, from the dark looking one....must have spilled some of its contents :lol:

Sssshhh Gaffr, don't tell anyone that I actually floated down to the summit!
Stretch
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland