walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A summer's slog up Ben Lomond

A summer's slog up Ben Lomond

Postby dbogosian » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:49 am

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 03/06/2016

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 970m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Since first planning this trip with my friends and fellow Californians, Nazareth and Ani, we had set climbing Ben Lomond as a major objective. Our fears of inclement weather were stood on their heads as we ended up with a day that was warm almost to the point of being muggy, bright sun everywhere, nary a cloud to be seen. One can, in fact, have too much of a good thing, it seems.

We ascended via the tourist route, which had some construction on it. Notwithstanding, the path is very clear, very well laid out, truly ideal from a walker's point of view. It's steep, make no mistake, though, and in the warmth of that sun we were rapidly shedding layer after layer of what we had started out wearing. That meant exposed skin, and the midges were there waiting for us! Obnoxious little pests, they accompanied us along most of the way, in varying densities. The repellent creme worked pretty well, though.
s464.JPG
Setting out and past the woods, now the climb begins in earnest.

The path takes you past some woodlands initially, but then 90% of the way is along open heath with no shade, no relief, and very little variety in the landscape. The scenery gradually improves as you gain in elevation. Soon you are looking across the lake and its islands.
s465.JPG
Looking across Loch Lomond to Inverbeg

s466.JPG
Looking south: Loch Lomond and dozens of islands

Near the top, there are some amazing boulders of white quartz, gleaming bright in the sun.
s467.JPG
White quartz boulders glisten like ice! If only they had been...

The final approach to the summit was daunting, but we persevered and crested it at last. We were met by about 40 people and 40,000 midges! What should have been a triumphal arrival turned into a manic snapping of photos, grab a quick drink of water, all while frantically waving your hands about your face, and then run away as quickly as possible.
s469.JPG
View to the north-east, with a wee bit of Loch Katrine visible.

s473.JPG
Loch Lomond in the foreground, Loch Sloy further back framed by Ben Vane and Ben Vorlich.

s474.JPG
The Arrochar Alps (from L to R): The Cobbler, Beinn an Lochain, Beinn Narnain, Beinn Ime, and A' Chrois.

This was the first Munro for my friends, second for my daughter, and seventh for me. All in all, I had never spent as little time at a summit as I did at this one!

We headed back along the Ptarmigan route. The descent is a little challenging, but maybe it was the incentive of getting away from the midges that made it seem not intimidating at all. This route is much more interesting, as it passes some lochans and has generally more varied terrain to keep your interest. Plus, you are always nearer to the lake and the amazing Arrochar Alps.
s475.JPG
Descending along the Ptarmigan route, with The Cobbler's distinct profile just ahead.

s476.JPG
Looking back at Ben Lomond's summit, from the Ptarmigan route.

s477.JPG
A lochan along the way.

s478.JPG
Curious sheep peek over the ridge!

At the end, we reached the lake and I took off my socks and boots and dunked my legs into the waters of Loch Lomond. After standing ankle-deep for about 3 minutes , I was starting to lose sensation in my toes, so it was time to dry out; nonetheless, it was a very much appreciated cool-down.
s480.JPG
The bonny banks of Loch Lomond!

My friends had a far smarter idea: cold beers at the pub!

Altogether, Ben Lomond is not the most enchanting or spectacular mountain. The crowds are ever-present, and the midges even more so. The views of the Arrochar Alps are the best, though, and having seen them this day, I vowed to tackle at least one of them on the next!

And I did: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=65917
dbogosian
Mountain Walker

Munros:12   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:2
Islands:9

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland