walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

It will be brighter later sron

It will be brighter later sron

Postby basscadet » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:39 pm

Route description: Bidean nam Bian

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Date walked: 20/08/2016

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 1065m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So thi weekend, Dougie was working Saturday, so I packed my stuff Friday night for an early start in the morning. The weather on the way up was atrocious, but as I crossed Rannoch Moor, there was a ray of sunshine that brought a little bit of hope, even if the wipers were still on.

Sron na Laraig20-AUG-16.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I arrived in Wee Buchaille carpark, and there was plenty of space for once. It was still damp and drizzly,and there was a nasty shower that had me reaching for the gortex, but generally the weather improved the higher I got up the glen.

I was in the chain of folk heading up the Wee Buchaille, and was too blindly following to notice the path up the Larig Eilde branching off, but I realised my mistake quickly, so just a wee hop over the bog and I was back on track. It was really good to be out for what felt like ages. :D
The ridge I intended ascending got into view and it looked amazing, I couldnie wait! but I forced myself to dilly dally - the longer I took, the more time there was for the rock to dry out..

I branched off the path where it started to ascend up to the pass, and walked along the dry river bed, stopping for a snack and a contemplate on a comfy rock.

I crossed the river, and headed steeply up to the start of the route. The grass was long and wet and my feet got very squelchy :? Now I was getting closer, I could start to pick out the route.

A herd of hinds with young ones watched worriedly from the side lines.

I stopped to put away my poles at the bottom and texted Dougie to let him know I got there OK. The bottom rocks were a little lichenous and therefore still quite wet, but I started up the first few blocks and found the going OK. I reached a grassy bowl, where the book says to go up the arete on the left. I started up it, but it was so greasy, I fell off. :shock: luckily the right way just to have a tumble into some wet grass, instead of the cliff the other side, so I went up slabs on the right of the bowl instead - easier initially, but I had a very hairy damp traverse on steep slabs to get back to the crest and on route :lol:

The next steepening on the ridge, was supposed to be he trickiest, the wall is quite steep, but there is an easier angled slab on the right, which has many holds, all of them absolutely tiny. Fortunately it was quite dry, so I could relax and enjoy that bit. It started off easy angled, but the last couple of moves were almost vertical. This led to some easier scrambling back to the crest and a big grassy ledge, where I sat for a break, the summit didnt look too much higher :)

The next steepening loomed, but there are quite easy ledges that zigzag up to the perched block.

The scramble up behind it on loose boulders was interesting, then from there you are suddenly on another grassy ridge. Very satisfying 8)

The next steepening, started of a bit dull with vegetated wet rock, but narrows to a pleasant arete, and a fair amount of exposure - unexpected fun as the book doesn't mention it.

From the top of that bit, I could see the top of the route.

There wasn't very much scrambling up that bit, but there was a terrifyingly narrow little piece of ridge that had me treading very carefully indeed - wouldn't like to go over in the winter :shock:

I still felt quite fresh, so a wander to the top was in order.

When I got there, there was a big bank of clag over Bidean, but I culd make out a large party coming this way.. Maybe 15-20 minutes, and sure enough I got a wee bit of solitary time to savour the summit 8)

The summit of bidean did clear a little..

But then the people started arriving, so I headed off back down the ridge I had come, this time heading further down to the coll beyond - steeper than it looked on the map with annoying sized boulders :?

From there I went down, having a delightful wee scramble down alongside a wee waterfall :D

There was inevitably some more bog before getting back to the dry riverbed and eventually the path for a quick stomp down the glen. Was really pleased with how my gammy ankle had held up despite some balance problems, it was only sore about 10% of the time, so a massive improvement 8)

I was back fairly early, and set up the tent in the glen in breezy sunshine that was a delight :) Pretty soon though the wind dropped and the midges came out. By the time Dougie arrived at 8 O'clock, they were atrocious. The noise of them hitting the tent was audible, and their masses dimmed the light :roll:
Despite this, inside they were very tolerable, so we had a nice evening, just hot :lol:
In the morning, we both woke up late - had a brilliant sleep - and when I ventured out I soon realised that it didn't matter as it was drizzly and visibility was down to about 10 yards, so we had a couple of rounds of tea and packed up leisurely once there was a noticable brightening. By the time we got to Altnafeidh, we could actually see the route we were intending :D

Creag na Tulaich 21-AUG-16.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Apologies for the short route - GPS switched off

It was a quick easy walk in, the path up the corrie goes right past the bottom, so great. :) I did fall in the river courtesy of the rockiest rock known to man, so had one squelchy foot straight off :lol:
When we stopped at the bottom for the snack and faff, the midges descended - a common theme of the day as it isn't always possible to climb quick enough to lose them :?
The first bit, is quite easy up a steep ramp of big holds, which leads to a slabby ledge with steeper ground above. The rock was good and fairly dry, we both took separate routes back up to the crest, Dougie going for trickier as usual.

We soon got up to the second tier - Up to the right of the grassy recess.

That part was really fun, and led up to some fine slabs which went on long enough to make your calves scream :lol:

The clag came back down and it started to drizzle, not good. The last bit was definitely the hardest so could do with some dry rock :?

We got to the third tier eventually, initially quite easy, this all stops at a vertical wall that looks impregnable :?

Dougie dropped his water bottle just after I took the shot, so he had to go back down a way to get it :lol: The midges came out in force and had me itching to get going again. We went round left and saw the wall we had to go up - very steep indeed, but with loads of holds. Dougie romped up, but I found it terrifying, so took a less exposed route above the gully for a bit before working back to the crest. The angle eased and we were at the top - Amazing 8)

We sat and had lunch, during which time the drizzle came back on and it got quite wet. We trudged down to the boggy bealach, and found a deer track to help us traverse a huge grassy gully. This took us to the top of an easy angled buttress which although is a bit vegetated initially, leads to a delightful steep section where you have to zigzag to find our way down.

We had a damp traverse back over the gully to the path and out,

good job because as we passed the cottage the heavens opened, and we were absolutely soaked by the time we'd gone the short distance back to the car. Think we got the best of the day even though it had taken less than 3 hours. Really good to know I can do a couple of routes again, especially with alpine holidays looming :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Re: It will be brighter later sron

Postby gman » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:12 pm

Good timing, I was going to check out Sron na Lairig last week to see if it would be doable in winter. NE ridge of Creag na Tulaich also looks good. :clap:
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby simon-b » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:14 pm

That looks a nice route up SCS. The second day of scrambling looked like fun too.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:22 pm

Glè mhath agus mun cuairt a' ribhist .... nice to c u out n about :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:33 pm

This kind of report has me aching with frustration that I'm not based further north! But nonetheless, plenty of vicarious pleasure. Thanks for posting :clap: :clap: :clap:

I remember Bidean pretty well from a couple of year ago, and there seemed to be masses of interesting scrambles all around.

The second route looks lots of fun also, although you mention lichenous rock, which is a hateful thing in the wet...

What was the route up the vertical bit? Is it reasonably obvious??
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby basscadet » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:34 am

Alteknacker wrote:
What was the route up the vertical bit? Is it reasonably obvious??

You just go round to the left, through a wee notch (not obvious) and then the route is self explanatory once you are round, although disbelief at the steep gradient may take a few moments to get over :lol:

gman wrote:Good timing, I was going to check out Sron na Lairig last week to see if it would be doable in winter. NE ridge of Creag na Tulaich also looks good. :clap:

There is a report of it in winter on the site - I just found it last night - looks pretty scary if you ask me, especially the tiny little arete at the end :shock:

simon-b wrote:That looks a nice route up SCS. The second day of scrambling looked like fun too.

Aye, made the best of the weather windows that presented themselves.. hasn't been much good weekend scrambling weather recently :(

Collaciotach wrote:Glè mhath agus mun cuairt a' ribhist .... nice to c u out n about :D

Thanks, no-one is more pleased than me :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Jaxter » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:09 am

Good to see you out again - gives me hope! :D

Eek slippy rock :shock: :shock:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland