walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Attack of the flies on Schiehallion

Attack of the flies on Schiehallion

Postby happyhiker » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:15 pm

Route description: Schiehallion

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 15/08/2010

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 780m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

:lol: A change in the original plans for the weekend and Caroline and I decided to head off to Schiehallion to take in an easy hill on a nice day. We really did take this pretty easy and got up to the car park for 12. Good drive but spent a lot of time dodging cyclists - seemed to be some big event on bit no idea what - anyone know??
Caroline was pretty delighted to find that there were toilets here. This is only her second jaunt up a hill with me and i'm worried i'm giving the wrong impression - the last lost was the Cairnwell - toilets there too! LOL
The car park was mobbed and indeed the hill was packed! This was definitely not a day for solitude and reflection. Prob just as well as we were in the mood for a good old blether and bit of fun. Between me and C we gabbed the entire way up and down and spent a lot of time chatting away with many fellow walkers.
IMG_1810.jpg
Me and C ready to get walking - with me jumping into the pic last moment for the self-timed shot!

There seemed to be an incredible amount of dogs out on the hill today - which was not helping quash my desire to buy a boxer puppy!! Anyway we made a start up - always surprised how hard the first half hour is. This one goes straight in and up and we stopped for a wee spot of lunch and a good chance to admire the flora and get the camera going. with that scoffed we were ready to take on anything... well nearly.
IMG_1813.jpg

IMG_1817.jpg
i loved the colour of the thistles in among the ferns!

The weather was great - nice temp and cooling breeze, just wish it had been a bit sunnier. Most my photos had that awful washed out grey sky look - def need to buy some filters.
IMG_1820.jpg
looking on to Loch Tummel

Made our way up and this really could not be easier - it is a fantastic path and on a good day no navigational issues at all :-) Caroline was however taken in by the first mini cairn, enquiring if we were just about at teh top already! after explaining that we were way off the top and there are several cairns along the way and still a boulder field to negotiate, she was still game to go on...
IMG_1825.jpg
no Caroline we are not at the top!

IMG_1826.jpg
onwards and upwards

IMG_1831.jpg

IMG_1833.jpg
another self-timed effort halfway along

I loved the boulder field, particularly the latter section requiring a bit more effort and thought. I think i just really enjoy these kind of walks when you have to think a bit more and it's not just bog, heather etc with no real features. Some excellent views - even though overcast the sun was glimmering through and allowed for some not bad photo ops.
IMG_1835.jpg
looking onto Dunalastair water as we get nearer the summit

IMG_1840.jpg

IMG_1843.jpg
no C, that's still not the cairn marking the top. Really how could you get confused??

IMG_1844.jpg
amazing drop down

IMG_1848.jpg
cracking views of Dunalastair water and looking round towards Loch Rannoch

The worst bit of the whole day was getting to the summit and being attacked by the gazillion flies up there - total misery! OMG it was enough to send you leaping off the edge! :shock:
IMG_1851.jpg
yes the black dots are flies! C at the top

Z_Schiehallion.jpg
not sure if i'm trying to scare, rob or simply avoid eating the flies!!

All in all though this really was spectacularly straight forward and pretty easy walk - we were back at the car within 4 hours. Exactly what we needed after hectic week at work. Off we went back down the road and headed to the pub for a well deserved tea.
happyhiker
Mountaineer

Munros:22   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1

Re: Attack of the flies on Schiehallion

Postby kevsbald » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:53 pm

Boxer puppy? Goodbye nice-smelling home.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby walk aboot » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:31 am

Nice report and photos happyhiker :) .

Yup, that's a hill to do if you like boulders! :D

A boxer puppy...aw cute...go on just get one 8)
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby happyhiker » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:19 pm

I know boxer puppy would be soo cute! More worried about the destruction than smell though :lol:
happyhiker
Mountaineer

Postby kinley » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:11 pm

:lol: I noticed a deer ked on my shower curtain this morning - must have brought it back from Glen Coe :(

Scotland just excels at these little horrors. :lol:

Still - a reasonable day on Schiehallion 8)
kinley

Postby happyhiker » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:23 pm

kinley wrote::lol: I noticed a deer ked on my shower curtain this morning - must have brought it back from Glen Coe :(

oh nice!! :o
i managed to avoid bringing home the wildlife :D
happyhiker
Mountaineer

Postby kevsbald » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:47 pm

Well, you have been warned of boxers....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khEl6xyMcJM
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Barnety2000 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:52 pm

Wow flies at the summit of a mountain...the wind must have been very gentle :D

Nice pics- Schiehallion was the first Munro I ever climbed with my family 9 years ago, and these pictures all bring it back. Must do it again some time. Thanks for the report :D
Barnety2000
Stravaiging

Munros:122   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:4

Postby dooterbang » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:08 am

Nice report happyhiker. I aint done this yet :( !!.

4hrs seems a good time also, il do it in 3hrs 59m :wink: .

You require a midge net for your head, not a highway bandit mask!!.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland