walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Great weather, bit of a slog

Great weather, bit of a slog

Postby LeithySuburbs » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:27 pm

Route description: Ben More and Stob Binnein

Munros included on this walk: Ben More, Stob Binnein

Date walked: 15/08/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 1340m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was my first outing in a few weeks. Other commitments meant I couldn't travel far but, with such glorious weather, I had to get out and this mountain fit the bill due to its relative convenience.

I won't bore you with the details as the route doesn't need much description - there's a very good one on this site :lol: . After leaving the track I soon worked up a sweat on the relentless grassy ascent and enjoyed a couple of leisurely breaks before reaching the summit. Views were great but not ideal for photography due to haze.

Crianlarich area.jpg

Stob Binnein.jpg

Stob Binnein stood clearly ahead of me and an hour's walking brought me to the summit with more great views - this time better towards Loch Tay and Ben Lawers. I had another lazy rest enjoying the solitude (the advantages of a late start).

Ben More.jpg

Back to the Bealach-eadar-dha Bheinn and the steep descent to the Benmore Burn. From here I followed the damp path until reaching the track at the delapidated footbridge. A quick march returned me to the car in warm evening sunshine 8) .

This was an enjoyable day out but not - to my mind - the most interesting walk. I probably wouldn't return to this hill, whereas I would happily revisit some of its neighbours. I'm not trying to knock it - just noting that it lacks a little character :) .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Re: Great weather, bit of a slog

Postby monty » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:00 am

Nice compact report LS,
I drove passed the normal route up Ben More yesterday, for the umpteenth time, and it does look quite a steep little ascent. As you say there have been many reports on these two due to there easy accessibility but nonetheless a good couple of pictures. I done these from the south which adds a bit of beautiful scenery and the weather was fantastic so I was pretty lucky. :D
monty

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland