walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Breezy on Colonsay and punishment in Appin

Breezy on Colonsay and punishment in Appin

Postby malky_c » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:22 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Airds Hill

Date walked: 27/09/2016

Time taken: 1 hours

Distance: 3 km

Ascent: 200m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sub 2k Marylins: Airds Hill.
Date: 27/09/2016.
Distance: 3km.
Ascent: 200m.
Time: 1 hour.
Weather: Overcast, very windy, odd drop of rain.

This is a bit of a poor cousin to last fortnight's work trip to Coll (with random Argyll Marilyn tagged on). This time the destination was Colonsay, and the weather wasn't looking great. I had been angling for a visit to Colonsay ever since I picked up a bit of work there last year, and finally the opportunity had come. It is a surprisingly difficult island to spot from the mainland, and I had only ever seen it from Jura before, when I had sat watching the sun set over it.

We didn't see much from the flight over in the morning, despite flying at less than 600m above sea level. Colonsay had its own little bit of sunshine though, and I got to see a reasonable amount of the island from the road. Almost managed a quick walk up the craggy hill next to the airport as well, but in the end, made do with a visit to the café to discuss work a bit more (that's why I was there after all!).

Carnan Eoin and Traigh Ban:

Beinn nan Caorach:

Beinn nan Caorach from Colonsay Airport:

The wind speed increased over the afternoon, and by the time we were back in the airport terminal building, it was shaking in the gusts. Surely not the sort of weather to be out in a small plane? But it seemed to land with no bother, and before long, we were zipping back up the Firth of Lorn at about double the speed we had come down in the morning.

Plane coming in from Islay:

...and off back to Oban:

Rough down there:

Got the prime seat again:

These flying visits to the more remote islands are a bit frustrating on one hand, but serve as a great advert to come back for a proper visit. Colonsay might not have had the silvery sands of Coll, but it was much more varied and seemed a great spot to spend a few days.

I had again hoped to go up An Grianan on the way home, but the flight was in a little late, and the weather very hazy and overcast; not to mention still breezy - not particularly inspiring me to walk very far. Plan B then, and a hill I'd narrowly avoided on the drive down to Oban the previous evening (it had been almost dark by the time I had reached Appin so I went for a run to Port Appin and back instead).

Airds hill is proof that I'm still struggling with not being a bagger any more - it really is a baggers-only hill, due to the forestry plantation that covers the summit area. Very little reason to go up it except to log another Marilyn, given the much better hills surrounding it. But my excuse was that I'd be out of the wind in amongst the conifers, and at under 200m in height, it wouldn't take too much effort. In fact I wouldn't bother with a report except for the fact that there are very few other reports on it - thanks to Theartfullodger, whose report made me plan ahead and print out a bit of aerial photography rather than rely on the OS map.

Airds Hill.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Aerial image:

Beinn Donn from above the Port Appin road:

There is plenty of parking space on the verge of the forestry track which zigzags up the first bit of hill - where this heads into the conifers, a gate is climbed then marshy hillside ascended until and obvious ride cuts into the conifers. I strayed away from the edge of the plantation a bit to try and get some views.

Eilean Shuna across Loch Laich:

Cattle grazing out of the trees:

Once in the plantation, the ride is theoretically the thing to follow, but a number of fallen trees mean the odd diversion. At a prominent break, a right fork is taken, then at the next bend, you just have to dive off into the woods to climb up to the summit.

Following the main ride towards the summit:

While I didn't really find much of a break through the trees here, there were clearly signs of others who had gone before me. The top was at one end of a slight clearing, and appeared to have a fallen tree on it. I couldn't really say I was disappointed as I knew that it would be like this; on the other hand, the pushing through the eye-poking branches was easier than a lot of other fights I've had through conifers (many of them also in Argyll, funnily enough).

Panoramic views from the top:

To celebrate, I decided to try dropping down to another ride on the south side of the summit. This was no worse than the way up, and I was soon leaving the plantation at a prominent corner.

On the way out of the trees:

The going underfoot was tussocky and probably even harder than in the woods, but at least you could see things. I cut back through some deciduous trees on the edge of the plantation and aimed for the twin 168m spot heights. These were much better than the main summit of Airds Hill, and on a nice day you would probably get the great views that you would hope for in this area. As it was, I could make out Eriska and the Benderloch peninsula.

Back in the open - looking towards Benderloch:

The non-planted trees are much more pleasant:

Looking over Eriska:

South to Loch Creran and Ben Lora:

I looped back around to the forestry track I had started on, the ground being wet and tussocky in places, and dropped back to the car. There were good views out over Castle Stalker on the final descent.

Airds Hill:

Castle Stalker with Beinn na Cille behind:

So Airds Hill. I wouldn't bother travelling for it - in fact even if you are in the area it is quite low down the list of things that are worth doing - but it might just fit your requirements if you feel the need for some low-level masochism!
Last edited by malky_c on Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Breezy on Colonsay and punishment in Appin

Postby Collaciotach » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:42 pm

The Duror Forest is an extended part of my beat ,see Airds Hill often and strangely have not had the inclination to scale her dizzy heights as yet :wink:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:220
Fionas:49   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby mrssanta » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:18 pm

is it ever possible to be cured of bagging?
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Graeme D » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:42 pm

mrssanta wrote:is it ever possible to be cured of bagging?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Not in malky's case it's not! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland