walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Walking with dogs above the eagles on Tianavaig

Walking with dogs above the eagles on Tianavaig

Postby dogplodder » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:08 pm

Route description: Ben Tianavaig, Braes

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Ben Tianavaig

Date walked: 01/10/2016

Time taken: 2.25 hours

Distance: 6 km

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a week of mixed weather with blustery showers, prolonged heavy rain and gale force winds, the day we were leaving was one of those gorgeous days when there's nowhere better to be than the Isle of Skye. I'd suggested to Moira she come over on the Friday so we could climb one of the Munros on the Cuillin ridge, but after a busy week the drive plus climb sounded a bit much and she decided to stay put. Pete had things to do when he got back and couldn't hang about all day waiting for me, so a compromise was reached. The dogs would need a walk so I suggested I take them up Ben Tianavaig (which we had seen on an earlier walk across the water from Portree) while he spend some time in the Aros Centre.

Ben Tianavaig from Scorrybreac walk
IMG_1516-largec.JPG

I'd heard that white-tailed and golden eagles nest on the cliffs of Tianavaig and the possibility of spotting one would give an extra edge to the walk........ always provided I could keep the dogs from going over the edge in their enthusiasm for all things feathered! :shock:

So a happy deal was struck. We left the cottage an hour and a half earlier than we had to and headed down past Portree, turning left at the sign for the tiny settlement of Camastianavaig. We found the parking spot by the stony beach near the picnic tables, and I took a quick photo before Pete drove me the 50 yards along the road to the red post box where the walk up the hill begins.

View from Camastianavaig's stony beach
IMG_1662-large.JPG

I was thankful for WH's instructions or it wouldn't have been easy to find the start of the path, as the sign for 'Hill path' wasn't visible, giving the first clue this might be a walk the locals want to keep for themselves. Just beyond the post box on the right the path starts after a hop over a ditch on the left and heads up alongside a fence.

Pete might have come with me for the first part of the walk but had been put off by reports of the first section up through the bracken being the worst. To be honest it wasn't bad; the bracken wasn't all that high and there were just a few muddy patches which could be easily avoided. We kept to the right, skirting round the hill and as we gained height the views opened up to the south and west.

Path through the bracken
IMG_1664-large.JPG

When the path levelled off there were two rocky knolls ahead which we passed under and headed towards the third heathery one.

Passing two rocky knolls
IMG_1665-large.JPG

Heading for third heathery knoll
IMG_1666-large.JPG

Tianavaig Bay
IMG_1667-large.JPG

View south to the Red Cuillin
IMG_1668-large.JPG

Raasay and Dun Caan straight ahead
IMG_1669-large.JPG

This part of the path was narrow and on the edge of a steep drop so would be a place to hold on to small children. :o

IMG_1670-large.JPG

As the view ahead opened up I saw them. Two eagles, which from the immense wing span I took to be white-tailed or sea eagles, soaring near the cliff. I whipped out the camera but in the process of zooming in on them they disappeared out of sight round the corner. I'd already seen white-tailed eagles on Mull and had a brief encounter with one at the summit of Cul Beag but the only time I managed to capture a few images was at the summit of Seana Bhraigh earlier this year and I was keen to get a better one! :wink:

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=64735

Blurry image showing the white tail, in this case a one to two year old bird so the white tail feathers not fully developed.

IMG_0922_crop-large.jpg

Eagles disappeared behind that cliff
IMG_1673-large.JPG

I reckoned for a better chance of seeing them I needed to gain some height so left the path and climbed to the top of the nearest high point, which was good for views...... but there was no further sign of eagles. The only other sign of wildlife was a tiny pygmy shrew lying dead on the path. I don't think I've seen one of those before. :(

IMG_1674-large.JPG

Black Cuillin appearing
IMG_1675-largec.JPG

Once we left the bracken-covered lower part of the hill for the higher grassy part I noticed a change in Jack's behaviour; he pricked up his ears and trotted ahead with purpose. I'd been scanning the hill ahead for any sign of sheep and hadn't seen any but his nose would tell him long before they were visible and within a few minutes I saw them so called him back and put him on the lead, where he stayed until we were well down the hill again. Apart from anything else he's too old to be wasting his energy on a pointless chase so it's in his own best interests for that lurking sense of canine obligation to be taken away - and I think he and I have reached an understanding on this matter. 8)

Whenever we had a view down over the cliffs we stood still and watched for eagles.

Watching for eagles
IMG_1679-large.JPG

They were still around and I got a few fleeting glimpses, but a cohort of raven terrorists were harrassing them which didn't help them to stay in the same spot for long and for such apparent lack of effort they do move fast. I thought I got a zoomed in shot but when I checked the camera later there was no sign of it. Funny how that happens with the shots you really want. :-|

The only evidence I have that I'm not making this up is a faint image of an eagle shape gliding over the hillside far below. I suspect if I'd had time to stand and wait I might have done better but I knew Pete had to get back and it wasn't fair to keep him waiting longer than I had to.

The eagle-eyed will spot something left of centre, two thirds of the way down
IMG_1680-largec.JPG

So we continued along the cliff edge towards the trig point at the summit of this beautiful hill. For a Sub 2000 it must be one of the most attractive and have some of the best views.

Nearing the summit
IMG_1681-large.JPG

The Storr appearing in the north
IMG_1682-large.JPG

Summit dogs
IMG_1685-large.JPG

Still keeping an eye out for those eagles
IMG_1686-large.JPG

Portree
IMG_1687-largec.JPG

IMG_1688-largec.JPG

Zoomed to the Storr which I climbed with Tess the day before
IMG_1689-largec.JPG

Hills to the south
IMG_1690-largec.JPG

The descent was lovely - easy walking on a good path with wonderful views and the sun was shining. What more could I ask for?

IMG_1691-large.JPG

I have to admit my first reaction to seeing figures in the distance was that I wanted to keep the hill to myself, which was strange.... but it does help me understand why the locals might prefer not to share it with too many.

Two figures and a dog
IMG_1693-large.JPG

The two figures and a dog turned out to be locals - an older lady, a teenage girl and a beautiful black labrador. We stood and chatted about hills and dogs for five or ten minutes before I remembered I was meant to be in a hurry. They were the only people I met.

When I got within sight of the parking area I could see Pete was already there, after spending a pleasant hour and a half reading and watching a film about St Kilda in the Aros Centre. As I put the dogs into the car I turned round to look back at the hill and noticed on the beach a sign which stated "No dogs on hill". I'm glad I hadn't seen it earlier as it would have put me in a quandary about what to do. I'm not sure about the legalities of a sign like that. If there have been problems with sheep-worrying I can understand it, but I know my dogs did no harm and I'd met a local with a dog up there. But if I'd seen the sign I think I'd have felt I had to respect it and would have missed out on a great wee hill. I'm glad I didn't see it at the start, although I think ignorance of the law doesn't remove guilt for breaking it.

What would others have done? :think:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Walking with dogs above the eagles on Tianavaig

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:28 pm

This is a superb wee hill with wonderful views all around. Nothing steep to climb just a fantastic walk to chill out.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby weaselmaster » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:22 pm

I've looked across at this hill a number of times when on Skye and thought it looked a good walk.
Your fine report has confirmed that - one for the list now :D
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:196   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:57 pm

Stunning photos and a lovely description of Tianavaig. :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:03 pm

Brilliant. :clap: :clap: :clap: Clearly a great place anyway, but to see an eagle really puts the icing on the cake.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:08 pm

You've had good variety in your walks this year and this looked really interesting - dogs look happy at the summit!!
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Sgurr » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:51 pm

I think you have to take into account a notice like that where there is obviously live-stock around and e.g. they are lambing, and the same applies to ground nesting birds. Some cows are timed to calve in autumn, and cows are particularly defensive of their young.

But the main thing seems to be that the dogs are kept under control.

There is a pamphlet on Dog Owners and the Access Law
http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/Practical-guide/public/dog-walking
and it looks as if you would have been within your rights,

This is one of the few "easy" Marilyns I have yet to do, as husband did it when I hurt my shoulder and I couldn't get my balance in the wind.

We have just returned to Wales to pick up Fan Nedd and Fan Ghirych as we just missed the deadline for getting on them in the spring in 2014 because of lambing, and we don't have similar rights there. That's humans banned as well as dogs.

In this case, can you think what the rationale might be? Did the notice give a reason?
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby litljortindan » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:23 pm

Nice to see on here again, a favourite hill.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby jupe1407 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:00 am

We were on Skye for the same week, the weather was absolutely bonkers from Tuesday to Thursday morning, but Friday and Saturday were lovely. We had considered walking Tianavaig but just faffed about taking photos instead. What a lovely looking outing that is though, definitely one I want to do now :D
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby dogplodder » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:39 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:This is a superb wee hill with wonderful views all around. Nothing steep to climb just a fantastic walk to chill out.

It's great. :D
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:41 pm

weaselmaster wrote:I've looked across at this hill a number of times when on Skye and thought it looked a good walk.
Your fine report has confirmed that - one for the list now :D

One of the best wee hills I've been on. 8)
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:56 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Stunning photos and a lovely description of Tianavaig. :D

:D
dogplodder

Postby Sarah86 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:41 am

What a great looking wee hill and you certainly had great weather for it. This had been on my list when we visited Skye last year... but as always can never squeeze everything in but will certainly keep it in mind for the next time. Strange about the sign, I think it would have put me off heading up if I had spotted it in advance too so at least you got to enjoy the hill!
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby dogplodder » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:41 am

Alteknacker wrote:Brilliant. :clap: :clap: :clap: Clearly a great place anyway, but to see an eagle really puts the icing on the cake.

Even if I didn't get a decent photie... :wink:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:43 am

Gordie12 wrote:You've had good variety in your walks this year and this looked really interesting - dogs look happy at the summit!!

It's not been a bad year Gordie with as you say plenty of variety. Can't complain and the old dogs have had their fair share! :D
dogplodder

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland