walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Moruisg and Sgurr nan Ceannaichean

Moruisg and Sgurr nan Ceannaichean

Postby old danensian » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:36 pm

Munros included on this walk: Moruisg

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgùrr nan Ceannaichean

Date walked: 11/10/2016

Time taken: 5.15 hours

Distance: 12.6 km

Ascent: 1115m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I wasn't looking forward to this one. A loner, a straggler, a mere hump it seemed.

It was originally planned as a short early morning "grab and dash" before a swift retreat to a Kate Rusby concert in Glasgow.

Unfortunately, day one of a thirty six hour trip to Strath Carron had been scuppered. Two adjacent estates decided to stalk on either side of the same glen - on the same day: Maol Chean Dearg was out of bounds. Plan B meant that Moruisg was on the agenda earlier than scheduled. At least I'd also have the time to add Sgurr nan Ceannaichean to the day's planned achievements.

According to previous reports Moruisg, or "The Big Water," lived up to its name. A bog-fest thrash to start the day wasn't the most appealing prospect. What was worse, I knew my boots were already coming close to the end of anything that could be remotely described as waterproof. Still, we've got to play the hand of cards we're dealt and hope that persistence has its own rewards.

M-01.jpg
Down the River Carron

After all the faffing and changing plans it was almost midday before I left the car and began the climb up the bland featureless north west flank of Moruisg.

But, I ended up enjoying a thoroughly satisfying day.

M-02.jpg
Across Stath Carron to Beinn na Feusaige

M-03.jpg
North west flank of Moruisg - looks dull and boring doesn't it ...

M-04.jpg
... to the south west on the other hand

The steady climb was unrelenting but not unduly strenuous. It was just continuous. Gradually more and more of Moruisg revealed itself as I got higher and the angle eased. One thing that made the climb more challenging and time-consuming was the temptation to stop and turn every five minutes, knowing the vast and extensive Torridon skyline was emerging behind me. "Taking it in," whether catching my breath or absorbing the scenery, I just did it.

After an hour and forty minutes following the mantra - small, slow, steady - and getting into an easy rhythm, I reached the top. It hadn't been the most exciting or challenging climb, but every now and again you need something straightforward.

M-05.jpg
Liathach and Beinn Eighe from the summit cairn of Moruisg

Hunkered down in the lee of the sturdy summit cairn I scoffed a late lunch with the horizon revealing everything the various forecasts had promised: blue skies, high patchy clouds and dry. I'd listened to the early morning shipping forecast in the car on the way north, picturing the sea areas and coastal stations. I knew there would be a stiffening wind coming from the east and north east and true to form the wind-chill factor warranted being down-clad and well-wrapped up.

M-06.jpg
A gentle wander across to the relegated Munro of Sgurr nan Ceannaichean from Moruisg

The next hour saw a delightful traverse across to the demoted Munro of Sgurr nan Ceannaichean. There was a slightly stiffer climb up the final few metres where a choice between tops and cairns presented itself. Here, another half hour was spent just wallowing in the views and the lingering warmth of the autumnal sun - provided I was out of the wind.

M-07.jpg
Moruisg from Sgurr nan Ceannaichean

M-08.jpg
Maoile Lunndaidh from Sgurr nan Ceannaichean

M-09.jpg
Sgurr a Chaorachain and Maole Lunndaidh from Sgurr na Ceannaichean

M-10.jpg
The Cuillin on the skyline

The descent was enjoyably easy. I expected a steep and jarring time heading down the spur of Creag a Chait, but the angle wasn't too bad at all. The ground was largely soft and cushioned, initially following a clear path which I inevitably lost. The resulting awkward teeter over a deer fence, when I couldn't find a gate or stile, meant a wallow through some deep pathless heather and moss before finding the way to cross the Alltan na Feola. Once back on the path, crossing the lower deer fence was a safer proposition: I used the gate.

M-11.jpg
The descent down the Creag a Chait spur

While wandering back to the railway, and the footbridge over the river, rain threatened from gathering clouds over Moruisg. There's nothing worse than that dilemma when you're in sight of the car: waterproofs on or not? Luckily it kept its distance and I got back to the car dry.

M-12.jpg
A final glimpse from the Alltan na Feola

It hadn't been the trip I'd planned. Two Munros over two days turned into a Munro and a Corbett in one, and I still had the following morning to take advantage of. However, after a five hour drive in the morning, an hour's aborted wander up Fionn Abhainn before discovering the stalkers, followed by another six hours on another hill, I just wanted to crash out.

As the sun began setting I was parked up in a secluded lochside lay-by enjoying a late snack and a mug of tea. I ended the day standing in the moonlight, a halo of crystals hanging round a half moon. Snuggled in down against the chill breeze, I listened to the splash and rill of the river running over stones while stags barked and brayed up and down the glen.

Inevitably, I slept-in the next morning. As a result, the wander back south only involved pottering round the Rogie Falls and the surrounding woodlands, before getting back to enjoy the mellifluous tones of Kate Rusby - Yorkshire's finest voice.

Yes, persistence paid off. It just goes to show that when you've got a plan, you know what to change when things go awry.
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Re: Moruisg and Sgurr nan Ceannaichean

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:22 pm

old danensian wrote:Yes, persistence paid off. It just goes to show that when you've got a plan, you know what to change when things go awry.

Quite :lol: :lol: Interesting report - we were eyeing these 2 up from Maoile Lunndaidh in the summer - I quite fancy a wander up them from the south, having had a dreicht outing here many, many years ago starting from the A890. Good to see what they really look like :lol:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby past my sell by date » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:35 pm

Did these two years ago when they were Both Munros. The North flank of Moruisk was certainly dull and boring - I don't think we had much view - but Ceannaichen was better and I saw my first dotterel near the top which made it all worthwhile
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby Jaxter » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:36 pm

Moruisg isn't the most interesting is it, but Ceannaichean is a lovely hill!! :D

Lovely views too :wink:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:36 pm

Not as boring as the look on the map - they have their own charms! We did them in early spring with lots of snow still around, had to use crampons on the steep ascent to Moruisg. It wasn't boring in the slightest!

Stalking can sadly be a problem for hillwalkers. Ruins all plans... We decided not to take holidays in Sept/Oct any more, you just can't plan anything during the week :(
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby dogplodder » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:39 am

Don't have any photos from when I did these two so enjoyed seeing yours to jog the old memory cells. 8)
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland