walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Almost ..... Schiehallion

Almost ..... Schiehallion

Postby lawlorc » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:06 am

Route description: Schiehallion

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 22/08/2010

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 600m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My son, two friends and I set off at 8am this morning from Glasgow to travel the 2+ hours to the Braes of Foss car park. There were plenty of spaces when we arrived and I was pleased there were toilet facilities before our walk :D We set off up the easy path from the end of the car park and soon were climbing gradually up the hill. My son is a regular munro bagger and at just 16 has boundless energy and much enthusiasm - his mother is new to this game and enjoyed bagging her first munro, Ben Lomond only a few weeks ago. This was a second munro for one of our party - she climbed Ben Nevis in July !! :D and the first munro for her partner. Just as we arrived at the boulder field the weather closed in and there was a very heavy shower with driving wind - we carried on for a couple of hundred yards, at which point two of us - guess which two...... yes myself and the guy who was on his first munro climb..... decided that we would head back down the hill (I have had an injured ankle since climbing Ben Lomond - I twisted it in the car park AFTER our walk up Ben Lomond a few weeks ago :( and didnt want to risk the slippery boulders any more than necessary). My son and his friend carried on and by the time they got to the top the sun was shining again and they said the views were fab :) We two who never made it enjoyed our jaunt back down the hill and have promised ourselves to try again another day - perhaps when no rain is being forcecast (am I destined to be a fair weather walker .....?) because after all the summit will always be there :) and surely at 48 I have at least another ten years to bag that one ....... :D
Last edited by lawlorc on Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
lawlorc
Mountaineer

Munros:1   

Re: Almost .....

Postby Jockstar » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:37 am

hi lawlorc

Take the positives out of the day and think of the enjoyment that those who made it to the top who brought back the stories of the great views. :D There is always another day and as you say schiehallion will still be there. :) also this will give you a bit more time to get the twisted ankle ready for the climb....... :D
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Re: Almost ..... Schiehallion

Postby jonny616 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:33 am

Hi

I now how you feel i took my son who is 10 & his 7 year old sister to walk Ben Vorlic at loch earn on sunday. Acording to the weather forecast less windy than saturday & better south east than west.

After an hour walking we turned back because the rain was quite heavy & there seemed to be no let up, but the hills will be there on better days. Although i go out in all sorts my kids not unsurprisingly like the sunshine & views.
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Re: Almost ..... Schiehallion

Postby steven65 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:43 am

Too bad lawlorc :( i went up Schiehallion on Friday past 20/8/2010 - it was a totally miserable morning , but the weather changed as was forecast to a marvelous afternoon / evening. Accompanied by Oskar my four legged friend we had a very relaxing time on the hill , i / we thoroughly enjoyed it.
better luck next time .
on the boulder field going up
oskar on Schiehallions` summitt ......"look aboot ye ! "...well we do live in Clackmannanshire :D
steven65
Mountain Walker

Munros:262   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland