walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A midweek quickie

A midweek quickie

Postby Fife Flyer » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:30 pm

Donalds included on this walk: Chapelgill Hill

Date walked: 08/12/2016

Time taken: 1.5 hours

Distance: 4 km

Ascent: 445m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I wouldn't normally post a brief walk like this, but nobody else has posted the route so I thought I would in case someone fancies a nice little rewarding walk :wink:

This was a unplanned outing, Mrs F was heading up to Dundee on a family visit so rather than stay indoors I decided to pick off a straggler of a Donald, that was red on my map surrounded by blue balloons :lol:
No getting up at silly o'clock as the drive is only an hour each way and I was guesstimating the walk would be a couple of hours. I opted to wait until all the workers would be sitting behind their desks in Edinburgh and left Fife about 9.30 and was all kitted up and walking at 10.45.

Image No parking to speak of

For obvious reasons the direct route I had planned isn't used very often as Chapelgill Hill is usually added onto the Culter Fell round and attacked from the west.
The initial part of the walk involved walking across a farmers field that has sheep roaming, easy going but if you don't want sheep and rabbit poo you have to pay attention :lol:

Image The destination

Image Autumnal colours

Image Interesting break

Once across the field there is a burn (Holms Water) to cross, on the map it looks like it shouldn't be a problem as it is a very fine thin blue line :lol: However you can see from the photo's that it isn't one you can leap over unless you are a world class 'long jumper', so I had to wander along the bank until I came across a suitable spot 8)

Image Wasn't expecting this

Image My crossing point, poles were vital for balancing on the slippy rock/grass

Image Looking back

Image The way up, glad the bracken was 'inactive'

Image One for the turbine fans, looking east

Image Looking down NE

Image This caught my eye, so had to zoom right in

Image Above shot just zoomed a wee bit

Image Looking back down

Not many hills where you can see your car all the time :lol: Once the ascending starts it is pretty relentless and after about 200m it gets even harder as the grass and dead bracken changes into heather, which as regular walkers know is tough going up, but much easier going down 8)

Image Looking NE towards Broughton

Image Entering the cloud

After almost 450m of ascending the summit cairn appears in the distance, unfortunately there was lots of low cloud formations drifting through on the brisk westerly wind and I got no views at all. I did continue west across the summit but still couldn't see anything :(

Image Chapelgill Hill summit

Image Little plaque near the summit

Image NE whilst descending

The descent was a scoosh and made even easier as the wind was behind me :lol: I was back at the car and heading home after 90minutes 8)
Really enjoyed the leg stretch and I do love this area 8)
Next will be a couple more stragglers before the inevitable trips back down to Galloway. Only 14 Donalds left so the end is in sight 8) :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: A midweek quickie

Postby McMole » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:50 pm

You are certainly Racing through the Donalds. For the benefit of your other followers I found plenty of parking space further down the road when I did Chapelgill Hill and Culter Fell early this year.
IMG_1146 s.jpg
Parked at Glenkirk, the end of the public road.

And you don't have to leap a burn because the road has already crossed it!
IMG_1140 s.jpg
Looking back at my car (circled)
McMole
Walker

Munros:141   Corbetts:50
Fionas:40   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:149   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:4   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland