walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Pentland Hills

The Pentland Hills

Postby bootsandpaddles » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:19 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Allermuir Hill, Black Hill (Pentlands), Scald Law

Date walked: 12/09/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 21 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It looked like a good for a walk but where to go nearish to home that we hadn't already done? The Pentland Hills! About an hour in the car, surprisingly good scenery and fairly easy walking. Get there early if you want to find a parking space at Flotterstone, though.
Leaving the car park there is a short stretch up the road to go through a gate on the left and then out onto the open hillside. It is a fairly steep pull up to the top of the first hill - Turnhouse Hill -
IMG_2370.JPG
Turnhouse Hill
from which you can look down on the reservoirs.
IMG_2371.JPG
Nice trees
We were overtaken by a runner (in fact, there were lots of them throughout the day) but they only seem to run downhill - even I can run downhill!!! :roll: The wind was really strong and we were soon putting on jackets, hats and gloves. A steep droop (Freudian typo!) down and another ascent leads to the top of Carnethy Hill
IMG_2373.JPG
Carnethy Hill
which has lots of stone shelters at the top. The ridge is a bit like a roller coaster the next summit being the highest of the day - Scald Law at 579m.
IMG_2374.JPG
Scald Law
Then down and up to East Kip, shortly followed by West Kip.
IMG_2375.JPG
East and West Kip
On reaching the broad track at the bottom of West Kip (fingerpost) we turned right and made our way across toward the hills oon the other side of the reservoir.
IMG_2379.JPG
Reservoirs
The first of these is Hare Hill on which there is what looks like the remains of a hill fort.
IMG_2378.JPG
Hill fort?
Then onto Black Hill, Bell's Hill, Capelaw Hill
IMG_2380.JPG
Down and up again
and finally Allemuir Hill.
IMG_2382.JPG
Allemuir Hill
All along this ridge there are splendid views of the Firth of Forth, the two bridges and Edinburgh.
IMG_2384.JPG
Arthur's Seat
IMG_2387.JPG
Looking along the ridge
Red flags were flying on Castlelaw Hill and there were sounds of gunfire :problem: so we took the track that skirts the east side of the hill and leads down to Castlelaw Fort. This a fascinating place and you can actually go underground into an earth house.
It is then only a short walk back to civilisation - hundreds of cars, thousands of people - lovely!!!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Re: The Pentland Hills

Postby trickeyja » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:01 pm

They look like some fine rounded hills - expansive views. Why run when you can slow down and enjoy the scenery? :D
trickeyja
Munro compleatist

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:08 pm

surprisingly good scenery

Agreed - great walking! Good to see some fine summery shots - I really enjoyed exploring the Pentlands in the snow this winter... complete with farmer on a skidoo. Be interested to go back and do some more routes in different weather.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby bootsandpaddles » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:20 pm

We thought the Pentlands would be good with a covering of snow - lots of "downs" for the sledge!
bootsandpaddles

Postby At The Border Guy » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:00 pm

Ha! I spent all of yesterday sulking because I missed the bus to go and do an almost identical route to this... (Would have had to come down via the ski centre to get a bus home). Glad to see I missed some good weather and nice views... :(

For a clump of hills a few miles south of Edinburgh, I'm always suprised at how remote the Pentlands can feel - The Kips especially. Well worth doing if you live in the area.
At The Border Guy
Mountaineer

Munros:14   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:12   

Postby SiBorg » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:42 pm

Pentlands are great, I was up there on Friday night with my kids doing some `Wild Camping`. Excellent weather and scenery. Midgies aren`t too bad now so braw.
Went for a walk on the Saturday and bumped into a few army patrols as you do.
SiBorg
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:5   

Postby mellowmark » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:16 pm

bootsandpaddles wrote:We thought the Pentlands would be good with a covering of snow - lots of "downs" for the sledge!

My local hills, they were good fun this past winter:

mellowmark
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain coward » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:31 pm

They would be good in snow, especially with a sledge! :D Did the first half of these with 2 people I picked up from my course at Heriot Watt Uni... we had half a day off in our Summer School week (Open University). The pub carpark was okay when we got there. Didn't have bad weather for it but not as good as you've got there! Your photos make it look quite a long way from the start to the Kips. I liked the Kips best :D The good thing is that I've kept in touch with one of the other guys and we're great friends now - we've even taken trekking trips to Jordan together! :D
mountain coward

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:46 pm

They are good in the snow, although I got a bit stuck earlier this year :lol: . I love that you can make a circuit from just about any of the Pentland carparks so there is always plenty interest even on a short walk :D .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Scotjamie » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:52 pm

Great report and photos young boots
- and nice follow up pics from mellowmark
They are great hills that I know well. They attract dogs and people with pointy heads
Pentlands3.JPG
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby bootsandpaddles » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:31 am

Looking forward to winter even more now!
bootsandpaddles

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland