walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Corserine and the Rhinns of Kells - April 2010

Corserine and the Rhinns of Kells - April 2010

Postby honey_munster » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:13 pm

Route description: Corserine and the Rhinns of Kells, Forrest Lodge

Corbetts included on this walk: Corserine

Donalds included on this walk: Corserine, Meikle Millyea, Milldown

Date walked: 10/04/2010

Time taken: 5.75 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Saturday 10th April 2010 - just me and the dogs

We had only done one hill to date in Galloway (Merrick) so we took the opportunity to explore the eastern side of the forest park.

Having read online reports we took the forest track heading WNW past Fore Bush. There are signs directing walkers to the hill - how could we go wrong? The turn-off from the main track is no longer a path but another forest track. This crosses the Folk Burn and what turned out to be the last sign is uprooted beside it. We continue along the track for another couple of hundred metres and it stops. Uh oh, no sign of a path. We continue N along one grassy firebreak and then W on a wider grassy firebreak to the forest edge. There is a stile, but it's half-rotten, shoogly and the top strand is barbed wire with a disintegrating bit of wood attached as protection. There is a goat skeleton nearby. I have a 48kg German Shepherd with me with no chance of me getting her over this. Where is the gate the reports mention? We resort to heading south for a bit until we find a gap under the fence that Honey can squeeze through.

Afterwards I look at Google Maps - the yellow is the track and we took the red route. Looking at the 1:25k OS get-a-map I think the blue route should have been the path we took.

Anyway crisis past and we head up the slopes of Polmaddy Gairy. We meet a couple of guys on the E cairn of Corserine before we head over to the trig point.

Click here for QuickTime panorama

Merrick

Arran

Lamachan Hill, Cairnsmore of Fleet and the Isle of Man

Lake District

Honey

We head SSE along the grassy ridge that goes by the name the Rhinns of Kells over Millfire, Milldown and up to Meikle Millyea. The dogs take the opportunity of a dunk in the Lochans of Auchniebut

Panorama from Meikle Millyea.

Tess has a belly slide

We spot a herd of feral goats near the top. We head down Meikle Lump and spot a high-grade crossing stile and gate at NX 53473 83805

We soon reach the forest track and head back to the car past the watch tower and down "Prof. Hans Heiberg Drive", with another dunk in the burn on the way.
Last edited by honey_munster on Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
honey_munster

Munros:282   Corbetts:51
Fionas:5   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:6   

Re: Corserine and the Rhinns of Kells - April 2010

Postby 2dalmatians » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:57 pm

Some great pics... and two magnificent dogs too. I have put this on the to do list!
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Merry-walker » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:16 pm

great report honey, Auchniebut looks good enough to swim in.... although maybe not at this time of the year :)
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby honey_munster » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:30 am

Thanks - Honey (GSD) and Tess (Collie cross) just love getting out with me on the hills providing the day's not too long or too hot.

I'd neglected the Galloway hills till recently. There's some wild country down there and the views over the border are novel.

I thought I'd put this report up from earlier this year with the expansion of the Galloway routes and noting that there was a new forest track on the approach to Polmaddy Gairy.
honey_munster

Munros:282   Corbetts:51
Fionas:5   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:6   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:33 pm

With winter (and the accompanying shorter daylight hours and bad weather) approaching, I look forward to heading back to Galloway and the Borders. An enjoyable report and good pics :) .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland