walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Just get the job done

Just get the job done

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:36 pm

Route description: Ben More and Stob Binnein

Munros included on this walk: Ben More, Stob Binnein

Date walked: 03/10/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 1340m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Some days you just need to get the head down and get the job done.this turned out to be one of those days,parked up and on our way by 8.30am,me and JB
mixed 100.jpg
walk this way
Weather forecast was spot on with this one,with the rain sheeting down from the very start,right away you can see where you are heading for
mixed 101.jpg
long way up
Only thing to do now is get the head down and get on with it.One hour in and we are both soaked to the skin,and I am considering turning back and heading home(not having a good day)but JB keeps us going,so half way up now and take a look back down the climb
mixed 102.jpg
long way down
And an even longer way up by the looks of it
mixed 103.jpg
stiff climb ahead
Once you meet the dyke on your r/h/s a path appears and the going gets a little easier,and soon JB is starting to disappear into the clag
mixed 104.jpg
JB going into the mist
2hrs and 40min after we leave the car start to feel better as the summit cairn comes into view
mixed 105.jpg
nearly there
Soon we arrive at the trig point with the rain still hammering down so quick summit pic and on our way over the top
mixed 106.jpg
gammy at summit
10 min into to the descent down to Bealach-eadar-dha-Bheinn and as usual when you leave the top the rain stops and out comes the sun
mixed 107.jpg
weather looking up
And now we get a glimpse of Stob Binnien in front of us
mixed 108.jpg
Stob Binnien
Down out the clouds now and on the bealach,and for 5/or 10 min we manage to get some views back to Ben More
mixed 109.jpg
back to Ben More
And to the east and west
mixed 110.jpg
east
mixed 111.jpg
west
Had a 15min break to take in some food before we tackle the climb up Stob Binnien,decide to leave our bags here and try and get up and back down as quick as we can,because the clag had came back down,and the wind was starting to get up,took us 40/45min to get onto the summit
mixed 112.jpg
summit cairn in the clag
Last photo of the day taken here
mixed 113.jpg
new summit pose
Dont hang around at the top, make our way back down where we meet 3 walkers half way down on there way onto the summit ,brief 5min chat and wish them well,once at the col grab our bags,and drop down to the valley,and pick up the track that heads back to the car,mist has now lifted and the sun is out,but JB and gammy still soaked through,never mind,been trying to climb these two for the last 2 years and now got them bagged :D :D
Last edited by gammy leg walker on Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Re: Just get the job done

Postby ramblingsteve » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:52 pm

Hi gammy, I did these 2 in July under similar conditions, although didn't even get a break from it along the bealach.
I experienced similar emotions to you... only thing that kept me going was the fact that my 9 year old son and my MS suffering friend were puting me to shame, particularly on the initial climb up the grass slopes of Ben More!
DSC01853.JPG
Ben More descent
ramblingsteve
Mountain Walker

Munros:58   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:59 pm

That pretty impressive of your 9yr old climbing these two,you must be very proud of him 8) 8)
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby Graeme D » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:20 pm

Full marks for staying on task there gammy! Not one of my most comfortable experiences these ones either.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:36 pm

Read your report on these two a wee while ago Graeme,and always wanted to get them on my done list,but every time I have driven past them they just seam to get that little bit higher,so even though the weather forecast was not to clever on Sunday and also a small matter of The Ryder Cup was on tv JB and myself bit the bullet and got them done.That 1st climb up the face and lower slopes of Ben More fairly opens out the lungs :lol: :lol: PS my son-in-law did these two from Inverlochairg side,and said they were tough from that side also(I was going to split them over two walks,one from Crianlairach one from Iverlochairg.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby ramblingsteve » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:47 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:That pretty impressive of your 9yr old climbing these two,you must be very proud of him 8) 8)

I certainly am... He really enjoys it too, although this one pushed us all to our limits, he takes great pride in it himself... He's asked me to take him up Ben Lawers this weekend... Hopefuly manage on Sunday, wouldn't want to let him down :wink:
ramblingsteve
Mountain Walker

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:54 pm

Walk in the park after this two
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby ramblingsteve » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:11 pm

Yeah, fingers crossed for a clear day... :lol: Aye, right!
ramblingsteve
Mountain Walker

Postby JB likes a beer » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:17 pm

alrite m8,good report im still freezing :lol: ,well done for sticking with it, wasnt letting you give up ,this area all cleared up now onto the next :D
JB likes a beer
Mountaineer

Munros:205   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Merry-walker » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:06 pm

well done Gammy and JB :D
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:52 pm

JB likes a beer wrote:alrite m8,good report im still freezing :lol: ,well done for sticking with it, wasnt letting you give up ,this area all cleared up now onto the next :D

Like you said in your report,if you had been on your own you would have given up and me to,but still enjoyed the day,always good company m8
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:56 pm

Merry-walker wrote:well done Gammy and JB :D

Cheers merry-walker,it always helps if you can get a good walking partner,to keep you going,we always try and manage to get a laugh at some point during the day,on this one at my expense,with all my slipping and sliding in the rain
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby Merry-walker » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:00 pm

Its great to have a pal to go with you, I see on both your reports that you get a good laff :D
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland