walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Crianlarich3:An Caisteal & Beinn a'Chroin-Never Saw a Thing!

Crianlarich3:An Caisteal & Beinn a'Chroin-Never Saw a Thing!

Postby mountain coward » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:12 pm

Route description: An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chròin, near Crianlarich

Munros included on this walk: An Caisteal, Beinn a' Chròin

Date walked: 29/09/2010

Time taken: 5.75 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Stats: 2 Munros, 1 top - 10 miles, 3366 feet of ascent, 5 hours 45. Me and Richard in yet more clag! No decent photos as we didn’t see anything until after we’d descended! Might add a couple later which we took towards the end of the day when the sun came out...

After 2 days avoiding the worst of the weather by taking the train to Oban (where the weather was better) and then Fort William (where it wasn’t), it stopped raining and was quite a good forecast. We looked out of the B&B and all was fine and dandy…

We decided to be lazy and drive the car up to the starting layby – very naughty as it’s only about a mile and a half… but that adds 3 miles to the walk and the weather was supposed to go off ‘later’. We were only the second car in the layby, although more arrived later, and we set off through the railway underpass again and up the track we’d been on a few days before when we’d done Cruach Ardrain – the funny man in the forest was gone…

Pretty soon there is a small cairn where we turned off along the squelchy path following the burn across to the foot of Sron Gharbh. Looking at this route, I was surprised it turned off so early as all that achieves is to traipse through lots of boggy ground and ascend steeper up more bog. We thought it would probably have been better to follow the vehicle track a lot further along the glen and ascend the less steep NE side of Sron Gharbh after the bogs. I suppose we were free to do that but, as I’ve said before, we’re path addicts so we went where it did.

Sron Garbh from A82.jpg

Although it had been clear when we set off (though dull, not sunny as promised), the moment we reached the top of the climb up the Sron the clag came quickly in. We still had a path so we trudged on up the ridge. This ridge was a lot easier than the Grey Height one as it ascended gently instead of going up and down and twisting about.

The route steepened slightly where the hill name changes to ‘Twistin Hill’ on the map and there were some interesting features along the way. First of all the ridge split into three parallel ridges – the path went up the middle one. Then there was a gully across the ridge which had a rocky clamber in and out again – the rocks were damp and greasy so all the rocky bits were tricky.

Then out of the mist loomed the castle. I looked at the end of its rocky ridge and could see there was a route straight up the middle but Richard had followed the path along the left-hand edge so I followed him. This was narrow and had quite a steep drop off it so I wasn’t as keen. It ended in rocks which needed to be clambered up to our right back to the ridge – this being greasy was a bit tricky. We’d definitely have been better on my central route I think. Then we were admiring the castle and having a quick chat with the guy we’d caught up who was having a break by the cairn there. But I knew it wasn’t the summit so we soon pressed on.

Very soon after that, and with very little more climbing, we were at the summit – a cold, misty and windy place so we didn’t linger. We started the clambery route to the col while I worried and fretted about what the route up Beinn a’ Chroin would be like. By now the guy we’d spoken to above was following us. There was one awkward bit where there were some steep slabs to descend above quite a drop down on the left – I decided it would be too dangerous to descend with it being so greasy so we looked around and found there was another, easier route the other side of the ridge.

Just as we reached the last scramble down to the col the cloud cleared for a couple of seconds. I told Richard to look quick and he sounded like he got a bit of a shock at the steep, craggy bulk which loomed ahead. I thought it actually looked a bit easier than I was expecting as it didn’t look much of a climb…

We soon reached the start of the path up Beinn a’ Chroin. I’d seen pictures of it before on the site and remembered seeing a level path cutting through an awkward looking crag to the right so was looking out for this bit. As we ascended the craggy buttress loomed out of the mist and I peered hard at it… I soon saw my ‘level path’ – it wasn’t level at all – I’d got totally the wrong impression from my glance at the photo. The path was rising up at a fair angle and the little grassy nick in the buttress it was heading for looked pretty small to me. Plus the drop off the buttress felt huge – after a very brief look at it, I didn’t look any more! I wasn’t happy…

We passed through the nick and I stared into the mist to see what happened next, hoping we would get onto wider ground and away from the big drop – we didn’t. The path continued on a narrowing ‘ledge’ of grass rising all the way. I could see our narrow grassy ledge soon ran out however and worried what happened next. The route became totally blocked by crags so I looked hard left for the path – there it was – going very steeply up left to a crag band – ugh! I was breathing heavily now as I do when I’m stressed but fairly determined and coping nonetheless.

I headed steeply up to the crag band closely followed by Richard and we got to the rock step where I stopped to study it – it was very steep back down below it. Even Richard wasn’t impressed as it was quite a big step up and extremely greasy. He told me to take my time and watch what I was doing with my feet – I assured him I would – but the reminder to take my time calmed me down a bit and made me think more.

After discussing where the footholds were, I placed my foot on the first one, ignored the middle one which was tucked away under the rock step and just stretched up for the one near the top of the step. My long legs reached it okay and I wedged myself across from that foothold to get my knee onto the top of the rock step. I was up and just had a few more greasy steps to do then it was grass again and looked easier. Then it was Richard’s turn… and he isn’t as tall as me. He floundered away for a while but couldn’t get up and the guy behind was waiting so he started to offer to let him past. That meant I was stranded above the rock step wondering whether I was going to have to climb down it so I wasn’t having any of it. I told him he had to get up now please and reminded him about the extra foothold below the rock step tucked away – ah yes – then he was up.

We continued up the next grassy zig-zag, things looking much better now we were away from the drops. Shortly before we reached a little rocky gully – this time with easy steps up it – I realised the guy hadn’t yet appeared and sent Richard to see if he’d got up the step okay. He went and peered over the edge and confirmed he had. We continued and, immediately after the rocky gully, the ground levelled out. I was sure we couldn’t be up yet but we were. The summit followed soon after a couple of small ups and downs – again, much sooner than I expected. The other guy caught us up here. We didn’t stay at the summit as again it wasn’t very nice weather and we couldn’t see anything but he stayed for a break.

After a few minutes more progress along the ridge, we came to an awkward downclimb – it was probably only awkward because it was wet and greasy. I ended up having to sit down to get down it. Then there was a narrow col with a stream setting off down the hill. I wondered if this was ‘the’ col between the summit ridge and the ‘top’ but thought it was too soon as it said it was at least a kilometre on the map. The path had a very definite short ascent to a rounded cairned peak which we decided had to be the top as it was the right shape of peak.

I said we had to head off north from there down a ridge but that I didn’t think there was a path to start with. We fished around and couldn’t see a path but I thought I’d seen one join us from the left as we ascended to the top. We went back down our original route slightly and there was another path turning off to the north.

Still keeping my compass out and watching it carefully, we followed the path which was pretty sketchy at first. Eventually, as we got lower, the path became clearer and we were happier. I’d been worried higher up as I didn’t want to get the descent wrong as I knew how severely craggy the northern slopes of the mountain were. We then dropped out of the cloud to see the other guy in front of us! We couldn’t figure out how he’d got there but he must have gone down from the little col without doing the top.

All went okay to the bottom of the hill where I took a few grotty photos of the claggy surroundings. We then crossed the river to follow the track back. I was hoping it was going to be the same vehicle track we’d left earlier but it was just a grassy track across the bogs. And what bogs they are! It was a really wet walk back down the valley for another 2 miles before we regained the nice, dry vehicle track where we finally allowed ourselves a break in the sun – before that it was too wet to sit anywhere!

I had a huge disappointment when I rushed back to the Crianlarich station tearoom… it was their half day and they were shut! :(

Bealach a' Chroin appearing.jpg
An Caisteal - what we saw of it!.jpg
An Caisteal appearing.jpg
Cruach Ardrain shoulder & Beinn Tulaichean.jpg
Cruach Ardrain fm Beinn a' Chroin descent.jpg
Beinn a' Chroin descent ridge fm near bottom.jpg
Beinn Challum S Top from foot of An Caisteal.jpg
Ben More from An Caisteal parking.jpg
Grey Heights from A82.jpg
Last edited by mountain coward on Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:17 am, edited 5 times in total.
mountain coward

Re: Crianlarich3:An Caistel & Beinn a' Chroin-Never Saw a Thing!

Postby monty » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:21 pm

Nice report MC. Its always a bugger when your in the clag as I have been many times this year. I wondered what you would think of the ascent to Beinn a' Chroin whist I was doing it earlier in the year :lol: Well done. :D
monty

Re: Crianlarich3:An Caisteal & Beinn a'Chroin-Never Saw a Thing!

Postby mountain coward » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:33 pm

I'd actually like to go back and do it again in clear, dry weather with no slippery rock. I liked An Caisteal though - what a waste of a great hill on a day like that :(
mountain coward

Postby houdi » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:34 pm

Yup, pretty much the same kind of day I had last Sunday, MC. Incidentally, you talk about going further up the estate track before ascending. I came down that way last NY Day from An Caisteal and didn’t enjoy it much. The last third (or first third if ascending) is very boggy all the way down and there isn’t a path as such. Everyone seems to have tackled this route from just about every line imaginable and there isn’t any one line to follow. At least there is a path from the cairn, even through the boggy sections. And those white cane marker sticks help as well. Definitely the best ascent/descent route, I feel.
houdi
Rambler

Munros:93   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:48   

Postby mountain coward » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:39 pm

I suspect the Sron is boggy all round to be honest! :lol:
mountain coward

Postby houdi » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:46 pm

Has to be worth doing again though? You might even get views like this.

An Caisteal.JPG
Arrocher Alps from Ain Caisteal summit
houdi
Rambler

Postby mountain coward » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:51 pm

I'm pretty sure it will have to be after I've finished 'doing' the Munros before I can redo things... but it's on the list for both of us :D
mountain coward

Postby houdi » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:57 pm

Oh yeah, I've just noticed your Munro tally is creeping up to the double ton mark. Pretty impressive. I'm hoping to be back up in Fife next week so will, hopefully, be back in Crianlarich again. Have three more to do there and might try to tag Beinn a' Chroin on to Beinn Chabhair if it's clear that day. I have no intentions of doing all the Munros so I don't mind redoing the ones I've had no views from.
houdi
Rambler

Postby mountain coward » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:07 am

Yeah, I'm getting quite frustrated at the thought of maybe not getting to the 200 mark before the end of the year! I've only got the Glencoe meet now
mountain coward

Postby houdi » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:17 am

Give my love to Curved Ridge; :D
houdi
Rambler

Postby mountain coward » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:21 am

I can't see me going anywhere near Curved Ridge! :o If I do any Munroing, it will be either Stob Gabhar or, more likely, Creachain & Achaladair...
mountain coward

Postby Fudgie » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:36 am

I was in that area recently climbing Beinn Chabhair and the weather was exactly the same. If the weather had been better we might have attempted An Casteail as apparently you can do both on a good day. At least it gives me another excuse to get out walking :D
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby mountain coward » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:54 pm

I think An Caisteal and Beinn a' Chroin make a really nice walk on their own - just need some better weather though...
mountain coward

Postby rockhopper » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:24 pm

You have my sympathies. I couldn't see anything on these two at all either when I was up in August - I guess it also stopped me worrying about the path ahead as I couldn't see it !. That said, the weather on Beinn Tuleachean and Cruach Ardrain after crossing over was much better so all was not lost.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby mountain coward » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:33 am

I worry more when I can't see things properly - I always imagine the drops are bigger and the crags and routes are steeper! :lol: Having said that, despite me finding it worrying, I think I had my thinking head on and I coped pretty well and just got on with it, despite not being happy, which is good :D
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland