walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Venue with improved path

Ben Venue with improved path

Postby U059361 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:55 pm

Route description: Ben Venue from Loch Achray

Fionas included on this walk: Ben Venue

Date walked: 29/11/2017

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 725m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I've done this walk several times and it is a good walk to regain fitness. I had thought of going via Ledard but there are road closures all over here so I chose Achray instead.
There are new sign posts up so it is impossible to get lost now. They take you all the way up to the open hill. A new deer fence has been put up around a recently felled area so they must be going to replant it. Near the end a brand new path has been built that takes you to sput ban, no bogs, no erosion, (WH needs updating). Still a bit of a scramble over rocks to get up past the waterfall, but back onto a made path for a bit till a water meadow is reached. Don't walk to the post across the other side, but walk up as far as you can and then walk across. It really is quite wet and although frozen today, I didn't trust it coming back. The made path is gone now, back to muddy and icy worn track to the big cairn. The scrambles here were slippy and care was needed both up and down. The snow had drifted a little up top and there were a few deep bits but didn't use my gaiters or my spikes for this. At the top at 1pm. took photos on both tops and then straight back down. Back in the car park before 3pm, a good time due to the improved path.
First time in snow this winter, it was cold in the wind, I went up and down with four layers on all the way, hat and gloves too.
ImageBen Venue from above car park by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImagePath to Ben Venue by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageBen Ledi from path by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageNew path by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageLoch Katrine by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageKatrine from Ben Venue by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageBen Venue top by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageBen Lomond from Ben Venue by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageOther top from Ben Venue by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImagePanorama of Katrine by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageBen Venue top by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageBen Ledi and Loch Venachar by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageLooking towards Ben Ledi by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageAchray watefall at footbridge by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
U059361
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:38
Fionas:20   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5
Islands:32

Re: Ben Venue with improved path

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:02 pm

There are new sign posts up so it is impossible to get lost now. They take you all the way up to the open hill. A new deer fence has been put up around a recently felled area so they must be going to replant it. Near the end a brand new path has been built that takes you to sput ban, no bogs, no erosion, (WH needs updating). Still a bit of a scramble

Then let Paul or Helen know and I'm sure they will accommodate you
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland