walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Uiseval, Beinn a'Chaolais, Toddun - Harris

Uiseval, Beinn a'Chaolais, Toddun - Harris

Postby Dmack » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:43 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Toddun (Harris)

Date walked: 15/10/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 13 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Harris in October and the sun was shining, it was warm and no wind...I still can't believe it.

With only 3 full days on the Island an agreement was reached with Mrs Dmack that saw me get a hill pass for one day, I suppose I could have gone to arbitration - but I thoroughly enjoyed a day at the beach and the last day spent with some of my extended family. In between was the best days walking I have had.

My chosen walk was a blast from the past, at least for the first part. I have climbed Uiseval many times in my childhood and although not by any means a hard climb it gives fantastic views. With the assistance of an old OS map I planned a route that would take me ultimately to Rhenigadale.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I got underway by 8am and soon reached the fence that marks the start of common grazing land, even at this modest height I was enjoying the views.

IMG_2380.JPG

The attachment IMG_2381.JPG is no longer available

IMG_2381.JPG

IMG_2383.JPG

Stopping for a drink, I packed away my fleece (never to re-appear on this walk) before heading on for the summit. I was pleasently suprised to find that it was still before 9am, I must be getting fitter. The light was fantastic and perhaps if I had any skill with a camera I could have captured it, but I am very much a point and click photographer.

IMG_2385.JPG

IMG_2387.JPG

It was round about this time that I began to eye up Toddun. I had climbed it once before around 30years ago and although I have a notoriously bad memory, I recall it being well worth the effort. From the TP I headed off North West accross Beinn a' Chaolais with my first goal being to meet the well used path that runs from the lochs at Urgha to Rhenigadale. The going was excellent with only very slight detours required for bogs, I also noticed how much grip there was on Harris rock. Last week I climbed Am Caisteal and Beinn a'Choin and avoided stepping on the rocks where possible after 2 or 3 slips. In Harris the rocks have a rough texture which gives excellent grip even when wet - my young nephew informs me that the rock is Lewisian Gneiss (or something like that anyway).

As I approached Rhenigadale path I saw 2 walkers - the first and only all day - and made my way to meet them. They were holidaying in the Islands and had come to Harris from North Uist. I was really pleased that the weather was so good as they had hardly been able to stand upright with the gales there. We compared notes on how many deer we had seen, 20-30, before they asked where I was headed. Without thinking I pointed to Toddun. That was it decided then.

IMG_2397.JPG

IMG_2398.JPG

The last section was pretty steep as I decided not to head round to the slightly easier North West side, but it is relatively short and with the good grip on the rocks not a problem. I stayed on the summit for nearly an hour and would have stayed longer if I didn't have to be at Rhenigadale for my lift. I felt completely at peace and could possibly have dozed off if it wasn't for the 2 jets that roared past between Toddun and the Clisham. I could still hear the roar of their engines long after they were lost from sight. No photo's of the jets because although they were very close, like with the deer, I am a bit slow on the draw with my camera.

IMG_2399.JPG

IMG_2402.JPG

IMG_2406.JPG

IMG_2408-1.JPG

After a straightforward descent from the summit I hit the Rhenigadale road and finished my walk with a couple of miles on the road.

My favourite days walking - so far. This was my first decent length of walk without the comfort of a path, and although I admit that I had great weather conditions, visibilty and some local knowledge to help me- I really enjoyed the fact that I was making decisions all the time around my route.
Last edited by Dmack on Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dmack
Mountaineer

Munros:15   Corbetts:4

Re: Uiseval, Beinn a'Chaolais, Toddun - Harris

Postby rambler » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:17 pm

Dmack wrote:Harris in October and the sun was shining, it was warm and no wind...I still can't believe it.

You jammy beggar :mrgreen: not at all jealous :mrgreen: :mrgreen: no really, not at all :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hope you get the pictures sorted out soon, can't wait to see them. :)
rambler
Hill Bagger

Postby Dmack » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:19 pm

Anyone help....why no photos?
Dmack
Mountaineer

Postby rambler » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:25 pm

I've not tried to post a photo to this site so can't offer much help but it looks like your photos are just stored on your computer. There is a post here about loading photos to a post - maybe it will help.
rambler
Hill Bagger

Postby Dmack » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:39 pm

Fixed it but lost captions.
Dmack
Mountaineer

Postby FloozySuzie » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:16 am

In the middle of September myself and a friend travelled the whole of the Outer Hebrides over 9 days. We stayed in Leverburgh in Harris, which i found to be quite an unfriendly place. Although the hostel we were staying in Am Bothan, was absolutely amazing, and definitely recommended.

My friend wasn't very well, so we stayed indoors most of the time during our 2 night stay, but we did see Rodel Church which was beautiful. Driving up to Lewis i realised Harris was the most stunning island out of them all. It was such a shame we got to see so little, but i will definitely, definitely be back. Your photos have made me more determined!
Plus, our trip to St. Kilda was cancelled due to the strong winds which was very disappointing. Even more of a reason to go back!
FloozySuzie

Postby malky_c » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:23 pm

Lovely - Todun has always stood out on the map for me, so good to see a report on it. Although I've very briefly visited this area, I still haven't done any walking in the Western Isles. Something for the 'to do' list next year I think! :D
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby mountain coward » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:00 am

I'm absolutely jealous! :mrgreen: :sick: I've wanted to do Toddun for years ever since I saw it looking as it does below!

N Harris-Toddun.jpg

What a spectacular hill! I even walked past it once on a walk from Tarbert to Rhenigidale via The Scriob (what a steep path that is!)

N Harris,The Scriob.jpg

and was going to go back via Toddun and then Laxadale (Lacasdale) lochs but the hill went into thick cloud so I thought I'd leave it till another time... that time never came :( I never manage to get to the Hebs now with all the Munroing :( All my friends there will forget me soon :(
mountain coward

Postby rambler » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:26 pm

Lovely pictures - well worth waiting for - thanks for sharing. :D
rambler
Hill Bagger

Postby mountain coward » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:41 am

Forgot to say... love the sheep pic! :D
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland