walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Knoydart

Knoydart

Postby ianaird » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:34 am

Munros included on this walk: Ladhar Bheinn, Luinne Bheinn, Meall Buidhe (Knoydart)

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Bhuidhe

Date walked: 02/09/2010

Time taken: 17 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Had been waiting a while for a weather window to grab these hills, so with the promise of a few good days I was quick on the phone to the gaffer to book some holidays.

Getting the green light, I began packing and organising the travel arrangements (2 ferries).

My father only had Meall Buidhe and Luinne Bheinn to climb over there to complete that area so he eagerly jumped at the invitation and joined me on the trip.

Finishing work slightly early on the Wednesday we caught the ferry from Armadale to Mallaig and then a ferry from Mallaig into Inverie, arriving around 3pm.

Setting of around 3.15pm we had hoped to climb Beinn Bhuidhe and have our camp set up by around 7pm, this was to prove slightly ambitious as the heat, route choices and flying ants were to slow us up, and the 15kg on our backs!!

We eventually arrived at the top around 7pm.

Photo123.jpg

Realising we would not be camped by 7pm, we had to try and hoof it and beat the dark to set up camp below Meall Buidhe.
We never made it, setting up camp at 9pm - darkness was apon us, so after getting the tents set up it was a quick bowl of super noodles and a cup of tea in our tents as some light rain passed over.

Lights out around 10pm the thoughts turned to the next day, forecast was for it to be hot so we knew it was going to be a tough one, which it proved to be.

Next morning the tents get packed up, and the forecasters for once get it spot on.

Photo126.jpg

Photo125.jpg

Photos are not the best quality as i only took my phone to try and save on weight......hmmm regret that a wee bit.

Never took long to get to the top of Meall Buidhe where we were rewarded by some stunning views.

Photo131.jpg

the top
Photo143.jpg

paw on the top
Photo154.jpg

The plan for the day was for myself to carry on up Luinne Bheinn and Ladhar Bheinn where I would set up camp for the night and my father to complete Luinne Bheinn and then head back to Inverie.
With the day quickly heating up I knew this was going to be a struggle, the other problem being water, after leaving the bottom of Meall Bhuidhe there was not a lot of chances to get any, luckily we found a small spring.
Looking over to the task ahead for the day, I was filled with dread and excitement.
Photo134.jpg

Photo159.jpg

After scaling Luinne Bheinn, my Dad had completed the Munros in the Knoydart area, he was a very happy man :D
Photo179.jpg

I was to leave Dad at the top to savour the moment so I could head for Ladhar Bheinn, this was to prove my most difficult walk to date, between the heat, weary legs and lack of water, it was walk for 15 mins rest for 5 on the ascent, but by god I was going to make it, camping on top of Ladhar Bheinn had been a boy hood ambition as I see this mountain every day, so it was not going to get away from me.

Photo193.jpg

Photo206.jpg

Eventually making it to the top and hitting Munro no3 for the day, I set up camp just below the main ridge on the n.east side, a nice evening meal was prepared to be washed down with a wee vodka and irn bru and then a short walk back on to the ridge to watch what I had near killed myself for..the sun setting...god it was a good feeling, so much better knowing(and feeling) the effort it took to be there.

The top
Photo212.jpg

Photo217.jpg

sunset
Photo232.jpg

Photo234.jpg

Photo243.jpg

Panorama012.jpg

It was early to bed to get up at sunrise the next morning and catch the 11am ferry from Inverie.

Getting up around 5:30am it was worth the early alarm call, again stunning views in a stunning area of our country.
Walking back to Inverie that morning I was a very happy bunny, i'm sure I never stopped smiling for a week!

Sunrise..
Panorama014.jpg

Photo246.jpg

Photo259.jpg

Photo265.jpg

Photo261.jpg

Eventually I had to drag myself away, with a ferry to catch and the old man to meet up with, I said my goodbye's knowing I would return one day.
An easy descent and a good track back to Inverie, I arrived there about 9am where I grabbed a bacon butty from the cafe and where I met my Dad.
It was a stunning morning and a memorable 3 days....I thank you Knoydart

the way down
Photo270.jpg

Inverie bay
Photo281.jpg
Attachments
Photo181.jpg
ianaird
Rambler

Munros:125   Corbetts:8
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Knoydart

Postby graeme84 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:03 am

That wild camp on Ladhar Bheinn looks perfect, I think it is the best looking mountain in scotland when viewed from Barisdale bay. gonna have to add this to my growing collection of must do wild camps :D
graeme84

Munros:68   Corbetts:13
Fionas:12   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:22   

Postby Penguin » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:45 pm

Thats a great report and pictures. Never been to Knoydart, but I've been meaning to go for a long time. One day soon hopefully! The pictures are very inspiring. Like graeme84, it's added to my list of wild camps.

Penguin
8)
Penguin
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:32   

Postby kinley » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:50 pm

Cracking stuff - have a yen to camp on top of Ladhar Bheinn too, approaching from the other side though.

Any pics of the pitch? :D
kinley

Postby ianaird » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:15 pm

kinley wrote:Cracking stuff - have a yen to camp on top of Ladhar Bheinn too, approaching from the other side though.

Any pics of the pitch? :D

Just! can you spot the tent?

Photo230.jpg
ianaird
Rambler

Postby kinley » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:50 pm

ianaird wrote:Just! can you spot the tent?

Think so :lol:
kinley

Postby monty » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:45 pm

Great stuff Ian.
A cracking set of pictures and 3 remote munroes to boot. :D Is that your tent centre of the picture slightly to the left?
monty

Postby mountain coward » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:29 pm

The camera phone hasn't spoilt your pics at all - they look great! What a supreme effort - I wish I could get that fit. Carrying stuff is my main prob as I'm not used to it at all and it really slows me down! Well done :D
mountain coward

Postby ianaird » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:33 pm

monty wrote:Great stuff Ian.
A cracking set of pictures and 3 remote munroes to boot. :D Is that your tent centre of the picture slightly to the left?

Yes Monty it is, well spotted... :clap:

Thx mc, ye amazing the difference in pace with a heavy pack on, becomes a slog... :oops:
ianaird
Rambler

Postby rambler » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:13 am

Great stuff - cracking sunrise photos.
rambler
Hill Bagger

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland