walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn Gorm Horseshoe

Carn Gorm Horseshoe

Postby woodblock79 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:03 pm

Route description: Càrn Gorm, Meall Garbh, Càrn Mairg & Creag Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Gorm, Càrn Mairg, Creag Mhòr (Meall na Aighean), Meall Garbh (Càrn Mairg)

Date walked: 19/10/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 1310m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With snow on its way thought i'd get out today on what was supposed to be the best day this week! Ended up having 4 seasons in one day as photos show!
Set off from Invervar as Hillphones didnt mention any active deer stalking although i did see a party setting off on my drive in.....
Wobbly bridge early in walk that is mentioned on a few reports was certainly aptly named...care needed! Certainly worth following woodland round towards Carn Gorm rather than trekking alongside burn - saves a painful steep slog very early in the walk!
Carn Gorm and Meall Garbh in Grey cloud and gusty winds....Carn Mairg in blizzard and 50mph winds...bealach in beautiful blue skies...Creag Mhor in buckets of rain! 4 Seasons in 1 day!
Loads of deer and birdlife...didnt see a human the entire walk....top day!
Top of Carm Gorm2.JPG
Carn Gorm

Meall Garbh.JPG

Snow on Carn Mairg.JPG

Looking Back to Carn Mairg.JPG

Schiehallion.JPG
woodblock79

Munros:17   

Re: Carn Gorm Horseshoe

Postby monty » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:47 pm

good effort in the conditions woodblock. I like many others walked past the bridge up the big landrover track mind in neutral and had to cross the valley and slog uphill. :lol: Snow already :shock:
monty

Postby woodblock79 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:18 pm

Thanks monty....trying to get as many "summer" walks in before the weather really turns - due up in the Cairngorms this weekend and forecast is for PROPER snow!
The horseshoe was a good loop - glad i got out even if face is a bit weather beaten this evening!
woodblock79

Munros:17   

Postby mountain coward » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:44 pm

You certainly did have a good selection of fine Scottish weather! :lol:
mountain coward

Postby Penguin » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:18 am

Heard reports that snow was on the way! Yay! :D Nice pics thought. Making me want to head back into the hills very soon! (Not that much persuasion is needed). Thinking about doing this route next...

Penguin
8)
Penguin
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:32   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland