walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Eighe ( Sail Mhor to the Black Carls )

Beinn Eighe ( Sail Mhor to the Black Carls )

Postby davetherave » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:05 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ruadh-stac Mòr (Beinn Eighe), Spidean Coire nan Clach (Beinn Eighe)

Date walked: 11/10/2010

Time taken: 11 hours

Distance: 23 km

Ascent: 1700m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date. Monday 11th October 2010
Completed by. Dave, Julie and Wilson
Weather. Beautiful
Time. 11 hrs
Distance. 23 km
Ascent. 1700 m
Hills.
Munro’s x 2
Corbett’s x 0
Grahams x 0

Ruadh Stac Mor

Spidean Coire Nan Clach

Starting from.

Car park North of Lochan an Lasgair

our route 1.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Did the Beinn Alligin ridge yesterday, and the weather forecast was meant to be better today….. Lucky lucky us,
We got up real sharp, packed up the tent and were left our wild campsite by the river opposite Liathach by 6.30am. 5 minutes later we arrive at the car park North of the Loch ready for the start of our walk.
Was still pitch black at this time of day, and as we were not sure of the exact start point we decided to wait for day to break before commencing.
Fine time for us to have a quick brew and watch the sun set from the comfort of the car.

DSC00139.JPG
river side camp sunset

DSC00153.JPG
Coire Dubh Mor sun rise

DSC00152.JPG
Stuc a Choire Dhuibh Bhig sun rise

DSC00156.JPG
Liathach from the foot of Sail mhor

DSC00160.JPG
this stag was not for moving

We planned to do the entire ridge all the way to the black Carls…Day break comes and we are up and going, heading up through Coire Dubh Mor making for the foot of Sail Mor. From here we carry on round and up past Loch Mhic Fhearchair. This was where we got our first glimpses of the Triple Buttress “ This is a spectacular place ” I said to Julie. It is easy to see why many people regard Coire Mhic Fhearchair as the best Coire in Scotland; It’s certainly the best that I have encountered.

We decide to ascend the steep slopes of Sail Mor at the South end of the Loch. The sun was out but from our location in the Coire we were not going to be seeing it for a while.
(Steep slopes first we would soon be in the sun)

Out of breath we reached Sail Mor 3hrs + after starting. Views were stunning. We now got a gentle ish stroll down to the Col before the steepness returns very rapidly, we effectively climbed round the edge of the southern Buttress this turned out to be pretty dam steep. Wilson was even struggling somewhat at this part.

DSC00163.JPG
1st view of triple buttress

DSC00166.JPG
triple buttress heading for Sail Mhor

DSC00174.JPG
views from Sail Mhor 1

DSC00176.JPG
Views from Sail Mhor 2

DSC00177.JPG
looking back to sail Mhor

From Coinneach Mhor we head North down the ridge to reach Munro no.1 Ruadh Stac Mor again the views are super, we decide on a much earned 30min break here to re-charge before heading back towards Coinneach Mhor. We then carry on our way along the ridge for a very pleasant walk. Soon we come upon the trig point at 972 m then carry on descending a bit before making a final steep ascent. Our objective
Munro no.2 Spidean Coire Nan Clach is reached

Even from here we get good views east along the ridge. The peak of Sgurr Ban looks mighty close, but the black Carls look a step to far…. Would we have time? Don’t want to be getting the head torches out again,

DSC00178.JPG
Ruadh stac Mor summit views

DSC00180.JPG
looking to the Black Carls

DSC00184.JPG
looking back to Ruadh stac Mor

DSC00185.JPG
Final ascent of Spidean coire nan Clach

DSC00188.JPG
Sgurr Ban and the Black Carls behind

I was not even sure at this stage how we were going to come down off the hill. Had originally planned to head for Cromasaig, but this would have left a huge walk back to the car. Not enough hours in the day.

We did however get good views of the Col to the East of Sgurr Ban, down the Steep scree that would lead to the road next to Loch Bharranch. This would be our exit, I decided there and then.

Sgurr Ban reached we were now heading for our final top of the day Sgurr Nan Fhir Duibhe and then on to the Black Carls.

Julie decided to stay at the exit col with Wilson while I went on to the final top, again this was rather steep with bouldery terrain, I then carried on for a bit to the black Carls… trying to get down off the final top was a bit scary, very steep indeed. I safely got down in to the big “”V”” and got some pictures of the steep chute, from there I decide to turn back and head back up to the final top then back down to the col to meet up with the gang. From the col we head south down the scree, this turned out to be easier than it looked as height and distance was quickly covered at times.

DSC00190.JPG
looking to the black carls from sgurr Ban

DSC00192.JPG
Rock Jam descending from Shurr Ban

DSC00193.JPG
getting closer to the Carls.

DSC00194.JPG
looking back along ridge from final top

DSC00196.JPG
Window in the deep V of the black carls

DSC00198.JPG
looking from the deep v of the Black Carls

DSC00201.JPG
descent

DSC00203.JPG
descent 1

DSC00206.JPG
not far now

Road reached we head SW up the A896 back to the car.

What a day, actually what a weekend, we had arrived on Saturday evening set up camp and chilled out with some good food, and a few beers.On Sunday we decide on doing the Beinn Alligin ridge then over the horns time about 6/7 hrs would be a short day for us.

Got back to the tent sharpish chilled out with some wine this time and BBQ salmon then settled down round the camp fire relaxing for a bit. Early bed in preparation for the Beinn Eighe ridge on the Monday.

All the above was done in shorts and T-shirt most of the way. And the weather! Well that was as good as we have had all year.

Winter here we come!
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Re: Beinn Eighe ( Sail Mhor to the Black Carls )

Postby doogz » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:09 pm

Brillian..no more I can write 8)
doogz

Postby kinley » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:12 pm

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Wow :D

Jammy sod :lol:
kinley

Postby monty » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:28 pm

Superb Dave. You are a nutter hahaha. I haven't been up these yet so hopefully pick a good day next year. Looks scary though. Wilson must think us (sorry you) humans are mad :lol:
monty

Postby LeithySuburbs » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:31 pm

You really extracted the maximum out if this mountain with that route :) . Looks great fun :D .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby malky_c » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:29 pm

Brilliant :D I enjoyed your Beinn Alligin report but this one is even better! Good to see you've got to experience the NW in the best weather.

Very complete route as well. I've never done the bit from Sail Mhor. I do remember reading that there was a small scrambly step in it - sounds like Wilson had fun on that :shock: .

Some nice photos of the Black Carls too. I'm starting to find that just because I don't remember any awkward bits, doesn't mean they weren't there!
Last edited by malky_c on Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby mountain coward » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:05 am

monty wrote:Superb Dave. You are a nutter hahaha. I haven't been up these yet so hopefully pick a good day next year. Looks scary though. Wilson must think us (sorry you) humans are mad :lol:

Hi Monty,
The 2 Munros aren't scary at all, just some of the extras may be I think. Like the Bad Step from Sail Mhor - and the Black Carls.

I'm really jealous reading this report as I did this with a huge, cumbersome and very slow group and we were going to do the whole ridge (excluding Sail Mhor and The Black Carls), I wanted at least to do Sgurr Ban And the next peak and then just descend off the end. By the time we'd hung around on the hill all day just doing the 2 Munro peaks, I'd had enough and ended up leading most of the group back down and abandoning the rest of the ridge (not that I was the leader, just everyone else decided they were p***d off too!). Also it was (my) usual clag and so I didn't see any of those stupendous views along the ridge you've captured so perfectly there :(

While the Triple Buttress and corrie are spectacular, I prefer the corrie under An Teallach... but probably only just...

Was it horribly steep or loose up to Sail Mhor from the end of the loch? As in scary for mountain cowards? How did you find the Bad Step - got an pics of it? I'd probably like to try to get to that end of the ridge sometime... I sure won't be visiting the Black Carls though so it's great you got a pic for me to look at instead :D
mountain coward

Postby foggieclimber » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:22 pm

Nice long walk, in great weather on a fantastic hill - what more could you want.
Great stuff!
Cheers
foggieclimber

Postby gaffr » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:21 pm

Hello,
Now that's a proper journey over Beinn Eighe :) It's the sort of hill where there are at least half a dozen ways to reach the high ground. When we first went to Eighe, youthful days, we cut the corner on the path to 'coire much fiercer' which allowed us to reach, for the one and only time Sail Mhor, before reaching the higher tops of the mountain. I always find Eighe a pleasure to visit and my most bizarre journey to the tops was from Grudie bridge which allowed for a fullish traverse of the mountain, excepting S Mhor, and descending by a path to the main road, after reaching the Creag Dhubh area, for the last few road kls. back to the van. :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby GravelInspector » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:37 am

Hi Dave theRave,
I "did" essentially the same route many years ago (we went up to the Sail Mhor col, not straight up to the summit) and tried repeating it a couple of weeks ago with the wife. Neither of us are rock climbing types - though I have dragged my body up some Severe and VS climbs at the sharp end of a rope in the past - and my memories from the dim past were not enough to get us along the crest of the ridge.
davetherave wrote:Out of breath we reached Sail Mor 3hrs + after starting. Views were stunning. We now got a gentle ish stroll down to the Col before the steepness returns very rapidly, we effectively climbed round the edge of the southern Buttress this turned out to be pretty dam steep. Wilson was even struggling somewhat at this part.

We worked our way through to some pinnacles and collapsing (recently?) boulders overlooking "Lancaster Gully", then found ourselves in an area where I couldn't find a route that looked feasible to go up on the crest (which my memory tells me we did in 1980). We tried to traverse (hand-made GPX attached), and found a scratchy path at about the 900m contour, which took us round to a large gully, which we then ascended to pop out on the top of Coinneach Mhor. Not exactly nice - loose scrabbly and rather intimidating - but less intimidating than the quartzite noses on the crest.
Could you describe your route finding on the nose in a little more detail?
BTW, thanks for the photo of the chockstone in the Black Carls. I found a much-abused negative of the same shot from 1980, which tells me that we definitely did go as far as the Black Carls. I thought the photo was possibly another branch of Lancaster Gully, but evidently not.
We've got to go back and do it right this time. Oh woe is us.
Attachments

2012-06-01 Beinn Eighe detour.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

GravelInspector
Stravaiging

Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   

Postby davetherave » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:14 pm

GravelInspector

Ahh, the west buttress, Mmmm why did i not take any photos of this part!
As for a bit more detail Im not sure i can help all that much. What i can say is that Julie and Wilson the Beardie managed okay, although Wilson had to get a hoist up now and then over the the rock blocks that were plentyfull on the west buttress.

Looking back at my pictures i actually thought that my picture titled ( Final ascent of Spidean coire nan Clach) was heading up the nose of the west buttress.. I do recall that, that picture is very similar. It was steeper on the west nose of the buttress, and the terrain was better under foot with less loose scree. Assending was made easier because of the large rock blocks that would eventually allow one to reach Coinneach Mhor. We decided early on not to keep a line to close to the edge of the buttress because of our daft Beardie.

Found this picture on the net taken from below Sail Mhor summit looking towards the west end of the Triple Buttress, i dont really know why as its not really all that helpful to you. :lol:
found this, looking towards Triple buttress from Sail Mhor.jpg
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby Meatball » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:00 pm

Smashing report!
I don't suppose you took a picture of your route up Sail Mhor?
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:49
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland