walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben More and Stob Binnein

Ben More and Stob Binnein

Postby rockhopper » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:06 am

Munros included on this walk: Ben More, Stob Binnein

Date walked: 15/03/1987

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 1335m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Again, some very old pics here (Pentax MX with 35mm film)............report is more for my own record keeping information.

Left Glasgow early and followed the standard route from Benmore Farm. I can remember being awed by the starting view of the hill and also very much saddened as it was only a few weeks before that day at the start of February when there was a fatal crash of a mountain rescue wessex helicopter on Ben More when it was trying to rescue an injured climber. A very stark reminder of the dangers on the hills and the people who risk their lives to rescue others. We were all the more conscious of the potential risks as a result.

Ben More ascent.JPG

On the way up Ben More we passed two other walkers - the very annoying thing was that they didn't seem prepared for the conditions - no ice axe, crampons or anything !

Stob Binnein.JPG

The walk went fine, great weather conditions. On the final descent from Stob Binnein, we took it easy and slid down part of the way - a salutory reminder then followed in how to arrest one's descent and stop sliding with an ice axe !

Some further pics...

View from summit.JPG

My trusty old scarpas.......JPG

Interesting snow formation on top.JPG

From Stob Binnein...I think but not sure.JPG

From Stob Binnein....I think.JPG

View south to Loch Lomond.JPG
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Ben More and Stob Binnein

Postby mountain coward » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:57 am

The 'From Stob Binnein I think' is - it's looking down the route to the top of Stob Coire an Lochain (see my report for further pics and the stupendous views from that point):

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7682

Great that you got a pic of that superb gully formation round the summit trig of Ben More! :D

I can't imagine anyone tackling things of this steepness in that weather without ice axe and crampons! :o
mountain coward

Postby rockhopper » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:07 pm

Thanks mc - looked at the map and your report re Stob Coire an Lochan and see what you mean - cheers :D
rockhopper

Postby jwramsay » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:03 pm

Ben More & Stob Binnein:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eenEAu5ZEUg[/youtube]
jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3

Postby rockhopper » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:09 pm

nice video, jwramsay - ahh the wonders of modern technology - don't know if camcorders had been invented when we were up Ben More and if they had I suspect we'd have needed a large suitcase or two to carry them Image Image
rockhopper

Postby davetherave » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:17 pm

Some nice pics again Rockhopper. 23 years ago seems like along time !

Whats made you get back into the more serious walking then.?

Looks like salewa crampons you have on, look very similar to the ones that i use today. :)

rockhopper wrote:I can remember being awed by the starting view of the hill and also very much saddened as it was only a few weeks before that day at the start of February when there was a fatal crash of a mountain rescue wessex helicopter on Ben More when it was trying to rescue an injured climber. A very stark reminder of the dangers on the hills and the people who risk their lives to rescue others. We were all the more conscious of the potential risks as a result.

Never new of the above incident. Very sad indeed.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby rockhopper » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:57 pm

Thanks dave. It is a long time. I started in my early 20's in the 1980's but then stopped when I got married at the end of that decade, then kids, houses, jobs etc all meant it was on the back burner. I have walked up the odd munro in the last few years when up on holiday in Coylumbridge but not many. Then I went for a longish hill walk when in Glacier Park in Montana in summer and realised that I could still walk 10 - 15 miles and ascend more than 4000 - 5000 feet so just got staretd again when we came back.

You're correct on the crampons - I think they're salewa classic 12 point and I still use them and my salewa 75 cm ice axe 8)

You mentioned the accident - I've now had a look in google and found 1st February, 1987 was an almost spring-like day and no-one would have anticipated the dark cloud that would fall on the team by nightfall.......
and
At the time of the accident, a Leuchars team had been at Dalmally for the weekend.....
I guess it's one of these things that you don't forget.
rockhopper

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland