walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Take an Ice Axe!

Take an Ice Axe!

Postby beeperman » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:56 pm

Route description: An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chròin, near Crianlarich

Munros included on this walk: An Caisteal, Beinn a' Chròin

Date walked: 08/11/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 14 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

.....and a peaked cap, and some decent gaiters. I had these but not the axe, doh! (oh and a camera as well to provide photos for this report, sorry)

Sunday 7th November, the forecast was for a brilliant start to the day and it was right. About 6 cars plus a mini-bus in the carpark but apart from one other solo walker who started with me I didn't see another soul until reaching the car again six hours later. Unfortunately starting at 9.30 meant staring straight into the rising sun as it cleared the profile of Sron Gharbh. Even with the peaked cap this hampered initial route finding all the way up to the start of the path on the top as I couldn't see much of anything more than a few feet in front of me. The early light was stunning on the views back though which made up for it. Once on the path the going was straighforward and I had no difficulty with route finding on the rest of the round. I passed the other solo guy somewhere on the way up Sron Gharbh and didn't see him again either, so a day of unusual solitude unfolded which always makes for a different atmosphere I find.

One of the big decisions for me on any hill day is when to put on the heavy jacket. I steam up pretty quickly and prefer to wear less and keep moving. Today I got that decision wrong, there was a very cold SW breeze and I was just the wrong side of comfortable all the way to the summit of An Caisteal. My excuse was the distracting views which were great on all sides, the interesting twists and turns of this section of the route, and the lack of a sheltered spot to do the change. Anyway on with jacket and overtrousers just before the summit and the descent to the bealach, no more problems with the temperature which was well below zero. Started to come across increasing patches of clear, hard water ice on the path on the way down, never enough to make it too awkward but a foretaste of problems to come.

The path up to Beinn a'Chroin from the bealach winds through some quite steep and rocky terrain and about two thirds of the way up there is a rocky corner that needs a couple of scrambly moves on good holds. Unfortunately though all the footholds were well covered in water ice and I suddenly felt the exposure at my back. It took a good few minutes of chipping with the tip of my walking pole to get a couple of footholds that gave me enough confidence to complete the move up and I was immediately thankful that I hadn't decided to do the route in reverse, this would have been really tricky in descent. By this time the weather had started clagging in as well and romping around trying to find an alternative wouldn't have been a lot of fun. Anyway obstacle overcome and on with the walk. Except that there was another iced up section of path a bit later on descending a short steep section with a drop to the right. Not a huge drop by any means but enough to make me think. Managed to get down this very cautiously and no further problems were encountered if you discount the quagmire which is the walk out. This was pretty horrible and looked and felt a lot longer than circa 2K which is what it looks like on the map. Glad I had the winter boots on with my old yeti gaiters, just about hanging on there.

So why didn't I take the axe? It would have made short work of the iced up steps on Beinn a'Chroin. But there was no snow lying and everyone knows that ice axes are for arrests on snow slopes. Or at least that was my mindset up until now - needless to say that will change in the future, so if you see some nutter carrying an axe on a sweltering (well OK, warmish in the valley) day next September, say hello.
beeperman

Munros:59   

Re: Take an Ice Axe!

Postby blueyed » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:42 pm

hi, i was on an caisteal and beinn a'chroin just previous weekend (see my report) weather was quite mild and from beinn a'chroin summit to the car park the route was hellishly wet. i can imagine how it looks like with a bit of frost/snow.
the scrambling moment on ascent of beinn a'chroin was tricky enough when wet, i can imagine all that water iced!
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Postby rockhopper » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:43 pm

after seeing the title and reading your report, now I can't get Pink Floyd's "Careful with That Axe, Eugene" out of my head 8) looks like you got some decent weather and views though and it wasn't too icy - I didn't get to see any of these two when I was up there in August because of the weather but I didn't have ice to contend with :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby jonny616 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:56 pm

Hi Beeperman

When i did these two there was some snow so i had my axe & even though the rock step you talk about i had to use it to haul my little legs up :lol:

Great report

Regards

jonny
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby mountain coward » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:36 am

You could also try 'microspikes' - they would have handled that rocky step beautifully without having to chip at the ice... I use them in less than full winter conditions as they're pretty handy and small to carry and fast to put on and off... I'd hate to come down Beinn a' Chroin on your ascent route! I found it borderline okay going up and will probably go and try it again sometime when it's clear enough for photos...
mountain coward

Postby beeperman » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:17 pm

rockhopper wrote:after seeing the title and reading your report, now I can't get Pink Floyd's "Careful with That Axe, Eugene" out of my head 8) looks like you got some decent weather and views though and it wasn't too icy - I didn't get to see any of these two when I was up there in August because of the weather but I didn't have ice to contend with :D

Wow that was a while ago! My ice axe technique's a bit more like Jack Nicholson in the shining though. :) I think this might make a good outing in full winter conditions as well, especially if the walk out was frozen. Might want a rope in a couple of places though, and someone to hold it I guess.

Beep.
beeperman

Postby beeperman » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:23 pm

mountain coward wrote:You could also try 'microspikes' - they would have handled that rocky step beautifully without having to chip at the ice... I use them in less than full winter conditions as they're pretty handy and small to carry and fast to put on and off... I'd hate to come down Beinn a' Chroin on your ascent route! I found it borderline okay going up and will probably go and try it again sometime when it's clear enough for photos...

Thanks MC - I've looked at walking crampons in the past but the microspikes look a bit easier to use. Would you leave them on over frozen ground generally or keep taking them off after the iced up bits? There were a few sections of frozen turf on Sunday that were quite slippery and I guess they'd be good on that type of terrain, but don't they slip around a bit on dry rock and bouldery stuff?
beeperman

Postby mountain coward » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:00 pm

Microspikes are okay for anywhere it's hard enough for the spikes to grip into, e.g. frozen turf, icy paths, verglas on rocks... having said that, they're not recommended for serious ground, i.e. steep mountains etc. when you should have crampons and ice axe. Having said that, my walking buddy Richard went all the way up Coniston Old Man in the Lakes last winter in severe conditions with microspikes and another guy borrowed mine... however, I told them they were idiots and if they fell off it was their own fault! But they're great to carry at this time of year before the snow really starts, and in spring when you're not sure if it's finished. They are exceedingly easy to put on and take off as they're just on stretchy rubber which you stretch around your boots.
mountain coward

Postby kinley » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:45 pm

Microspikes discussion here:

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2058&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=0

I'd rather have increased foot traction for this time of year than an axe given slips will lead to falls rather than slides.
kinley

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland