walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

CAIRNGORM SUCCESS, BEN MACDUI -FAIL

CAIRNGORM SUCCESS, BEN MACDUI -FAIL

Postby blueyed » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:22 am

Route description: Ben Macdui and Cairngorm

Munros included on this walk: Cairn Gorm

Date walked: 26/08/2009

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 17.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

this is a report of a walk we did back in 2009, july/august.
early morning we left edinburgh and arrived to cairngorm ski centre about 10am. the morning was nice so we decided for a cairngorm-ben macdui walk.
it was our first visit to aviemore, heard so much about cairngorms before and had some expectations lol i was quite surprised that those gentle 'bellies' were one of UKs highest mountains, but they've got their own character, i would say.
here you go -that's the first impression on cairngorms by the foreigner :lol:
anyway, we started ascent to cairngorm station (ptarmigan) and then after taking few pics we continued to the summit. again, i was surprised how.. bald it is. we descended to the plateau, which was just like the moon landscape to me.
when we reached Stob Coire an t-Sneachda the weather dramaticaly changed, we dissapeared in the fog and heavy rain. that would be a very unpleasant moment but something else cought our attention - a herd of raindeers approached us. slowly but they were coming closer and closer, and for a minute i actually lost my confidence :shock: as i had no idea what to expect from them, and they were very close, closest i've ever been to wild raindeers (which never happened before). finaly one of them sneezed and they ran away. but that was AN EXPERIENCE to me anyway :shock:
in the meantime the rain stopped and we almost decided to go for ben macdui (got as far as lochan buidhe) but again the fog covered everything, and again the rain started so we didnt really bother anymore. we descended from cairn lochan towards ski centre.
that was a good day, full of surprises :)

here are some more pics http://around-scotland.blogspot.com/2009/08/cairngorms-cairn-gorm-stob-coire-t.html
Attachments
DSC_2659.jpg
ski centre
DSC_2663.jpg
DSC_2666.jpg
ptarmigan and the summit
DSC_2670.jpg
from ptarmigan towards aviemore
DSC_2672.jpg
Cairn Gorm Plateau & Stob Coire an t-Sneachda
DSC_2678.jpg
sgoran dubh mor?
DSC_2683.jpg
cairngorm, the summit
DSC_2684_1.jpg
Loch Etchachan & Derry Cairngorm, Sron Riach, Ben Macdui
DSC_2685_1.jpg
ben macdui
DSC_2697.jpg
DSC_2744.jpg
raindeers
DSC_2763.jpg
descent from coire an lochan
DSC_2780.jpg
roadworks :)
DSC_2803.jpg
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Re: CAIRNGORM SUCCESS, BEN MACDUI -FAIL

Postby Merry-walker » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:55 am

Lovely photos. I fed the reindeer when I walked this area back in 2003 :D
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:23 pm

Good photos of the Moinr Mhor, I usually approach Ben MacDui/Derry Cairngorm from the Braemar side, so it's good to see how it all links up. As for the reindeer, I would have said they were harmless, but recently someone was attacked by one of the reindeer bulls, something I had never heard of before. See this link - http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8455
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Alastair S » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:50 pm

Yes, great stuff there blueyed - thanks for sharing :D
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland