walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Schiehallion No:7

Schiehallion No:7

Postby Bruadair » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:21 pm

Route description: Schiehallion

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 06/11/2010

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was my 7th Munro, but it was this one that started it all off. At the age of 18 months after a bout of illness my Grandson was diagnosed with a brain tumour in October 2009 and was admitted to Schiehallion ward in Yorkhill Hospital where he remained whilst undergoing chemotherapy for approx' 9 months.

Due to the care shown by staff in the ward my son and daughter in law wanted to give something back to the hospital and desided on a number of fund raising events of which scaling Schiehallion was one......so I threw my hat in the ring for this event. So with his chemo sessions complete albeit he was still not clear and had to undergo radiotharapy my Grandson was released from Yorkhill and a date of 6th November was set for the fund raiser.

On a crisp Saturday 6th of November morning (early) I set off to meet my son, daughter in law and her father at the Braes of Foss car park for our walk up Schiehallion.
PICT0077(2).JPG
Snap taken on route as morning mist settles between the hills
PICT0079(2).JPG
Looking down to car park
After a bit we did the stop for some photo's breather thing that us less fit folk do.
PICT0081(2).JPG
Say cheese
A bit further up and entering the boulder field with the mist still spookily shrouding Loch Tummel
PICT0086(2).JPG
A misty Loch Tummel
Time for another photoshoot breather thing, with the summit looming up ahead
PICT0089(2).JPG
Do we have to go away up there...I'm not looking, I'll take a few photo's instead
PICT0090(2).JPG
The whale back beckons
As we got further up the boulder field the rocks were covered in frost and quite slippy, Natalie found to her embarrassment as she slipped and gave herself a sore one.....not that she admitted it..... and she was fortunate to land between a couple of jagged rocks rather than face down on one.
PICT0092(2).JPG
Another scenic breather shot

OK.......ready for the posey I did it shots.
PICT0098(2).JPG
Barry & Natalie at frosty summit cairn...anyone think she is a Minogue-a-like
PICT0099(2).JPG
Natalie's dad Salva joins the photoshoot
PICT0100(2).JPG
And not to be outdone...yours truely
After a spot of lunch and a hot cuppa...it was time for the traditional summit scenic shots...
PICT0104(2).JPG
PICT0106(2).JPG
N. West towards Loch Rannoch
....The cloud was starting to roll in as we started our decent so it was back down over the boulders which by now were giving my knees jip....
PICT0120.JPG
A view of Schiehallion from hotel and out across Loch Rannoch
...and again from a little way down the road...
PICT0121.JPG
PICT0118(1).JPG
Back at the hotel and young Aidan looking none too happy
PICT0126.JPG
A view over Dunalastair Water and Schiehallion Summit shrouded in cloud
That's it fund raiser over and a drive back home with football on radio for company............as a point of interest, in aid of Yorkhill Childrens Hospital... £10,000 was Bary & Natalie's target to the aim for from all fund raising events and after Schiehallion it stood at £21,676.32...so well done to them both.
Last edited by Bruadair on Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Re: Schiehallion No:7

Postby GraemeMac » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:38 pm

wow, very inspirational read, congratulations to all of you :D, hope its the start of better things for you all
GraemeMac

Munros:32   Corbetts:11
Fionas:8   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:28
Wainwrights:37   

Postby rockhopper » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:14 pm

I must've missed this first time round. We all have our reasons for getting into walking but yours must take some beating. Congratulations and well done ! :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby JTweedie » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:19 pm

Well done on raising so much money, I hope your grandson continues his recovery and that other children at Yorkhill can benefit from the money you raised as well.
JTweedie

Munros:8   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   

Postby davetherave » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:45 pm

Bruadair.

Fantastic, that is some total that your family raised for Yorkhill hospital, im sure a lot of kids will benifit from this fantastic, mamouth fund raising event. :)

Wishing you and your family all the very best for 2011.

Dave
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland