walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

No Dutch courage on the Cobbler

No Dutch courage on the Cobbler

Postby kevsbald » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:08 pm

Route description: The Cobbler, Arrochar

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 12/04/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The itch had to be scratched once again and this time I had company for the trip, a Dutch guy called Mike who was over for 6 months to complete his Ph.D. Mike was keen to get some walking done and I thought I would introduce him to Ben Arthur, an unforgettable character. However, as we left the car park at Succoth, the clag was in and I couldn't even show him where we were heading. We took to the excellent path and it was a quick climb past the Narnain boulders - I regaled him with stories of folk sleeping under these giant rocks. I think he thought I was pulling his leg but I kept telling him he'd see some cracking sights today, what with the dramatic view of the Cobbler and perhaps the 'threading of the eye of the needle'.
IMG_2783.JPG
The Cobbler aka Ben Arthur
This too was lost on Mike but I said actions would speak louder than words. We reached the bealach between our objective, Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ime. The cloud was beginging to lift and we sensed some fine views were imminent.
I couldn't believe how good the path was up to the top of the Cobbler and before long, I told Mike we had reached our airy summit. Mike told me how much he loved his girlfriend and that he was happy just to take photos of me trying to attain the exposed summit. Threading the 'eye of the needle' wasn't the hard part - once through the other side, a potential drop on to some boulders of about 25 ft added some spasms to the sphincter. I gripped my way along the broadish ledge (maybe 2 ft wide) but it was a little damp and I took extra care along to the incline. Having done a fair amount of indoor climbing, it doesn't really prepare you for the feeling of cold damp rock. Philosophical questions filled my mind. Where were those jugs, who had the belay, did Mike love his girlfriend more than I did mine? I ungracefully pulled my weight up on to the summit and posed for the 'money shot'.
IMG_2766.JPG
Steady.....
Once I had clambered back down, I was relieved to see Mike had been taking plenty of photos and I was relieved to be off the piece of rock, although it was rather exhilarating.
IMG_2773.JPG
Scrambling doon the summit
A spot of lunch at the top, as the clouds parted and we enjoyed a chat about the Scots, the Dutch and a world going to pot. At least you can rely on the hills to restore faith and on the way down we must have said hello to maybe 50 or 60 people who were heading up. It was a good wee trip and one which I think Mike enjoyed although he did his best to remind me of the 3-0 victory in the football on the way back down. However, he was nae bad for a Dutch loon...
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: No Dutch courage on the Cobbler

Postby canisp » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:29 am

Fantastic, the last photo’s a cracker :D it sent a shiver down my spine looking at you on the ledge and realising i’d been on it, but for me the most challenging part was the final step up onto the summit, a bit out of my comfort zone.
canisp

Munros:281   Corbetts:191
Fionas:28   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:213   

Postby cjwaugh » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:06 pm

Well done kevsbald love this hill done it twice now and will go back again :)
cjwaugh

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:9   Donalds:27+0

Postby yokehead » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:03 pm

A fine report, the words and pictures capture the essence of the challenge. 8) It is high on my to do list!
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby Dirk Winter » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:21 pm

Entertaining report and some really great photos of your summit experience. It doesn't look that frightening on my photos (which I will post soon).
Dirk Winter

Munros:65   Corbetts:12
Fionas:5   

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:36 pm

I found it quite frightening. Not so much the ledge bit in the photo, but the climb up to the top from the far end - which I thought was a bit awkward.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Dirk Winter » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:58 pm

When I was trying to climb up I also found it very frightening. It's only my pictures which don't frighten me at all. :lol:
Dirk Winter

Munros:65   Corbetts:12
Fionas:5   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland