walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Chabhair (hard slog) from Inverarnan

Beinn Chabhair (hard slog) from Inverarnan

Postby Dmack » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:53 pm

Route description: Beinn Chabhair, from Inverarnan

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Chabhair

Date walked: 27/01/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1010m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

First walk of the year, and I must admit not one I will look back on with too many fond memories.

Apart from a misty summit the weather was pretty good and I worked up a fair sweat getting to the Falls - too many layers, stopped to shed one. The path is steep and quite badly eroded in this section and I was looking forward to getting onto the open moorland section, but once I got there found the going very hard. Although there was frost on the ground it was only a thin layer and underneath the going was pretty boggy. This section dragged on for ages with the best views at your back, and I didn't seem to be getting any closer to Beinn Chabhair.

Around this time I was seriously thinking about chucking it - my legs were feeling very heavy and I felt low on energy, also I could now see that the summit was covered in mist so knew there would be no views at the top. After a sit down by the burn I decided to carry on and at last began another very steep climb. At this time I saw the first and only other people on my walk - 4 guys descending about 100m away, never saw them again though. Come to think of it I never saw any wildlife either.

After three hours reached the summit and after 20mins rest set off back the way I had come. Legs were very shaky by the time I got back to The Drovers.

On reflection I don't think this was the best choice for a days walk after a couple of months off drinking and eating too much and exercising too little. If we ever get a 2 month drought in Scotland I might well re-visit this one and enjoy the views.

At least I am off and running in 2011 now and by the end of the year hope to have taken my Munro tally to 30 (give or take ten).

IMG_2479.JPG

IMG_2480.JPG

IMG_2483.JPG

IMG_2486.JPG

IMG_2489.JPG

IMG_2491.JPG

IMG_2494.JPG
Dmack
Mountaineer

Munros:15   Corbetts:4

Re: Beinn Chabhair (hard slog) from Inverarnan

Postby rockhopper » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:36 pm

Yup - it is a bit of a hard slog but at least the bogs would be frozen and you did get there. Given your lack of recent exercise, your time looks pretty good - well done :D
Dmack wrote:At least I am off and running in 2011 now and by the end of the year hope to have taken my Munro tally to 30 (give or take ten).
so, you could be looking at 40 by the end of the year 8)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby skuk007 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:54 pm

I think any Munro after a couple of months off is going to feel the same way as this one. Well done for not packing it in and persisting, just a shame abot the lack of views. At least it's ticked off. Onwards and upwards. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby bootsandpaddles » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:17 pm

Has anyone ever tried doing this hill by a different route i.e. one that doesn't start at Inverarnan? The bog alongside the burn makes it very unpleasant and if you go along the ridge past the lochan it is also a slog as the ridge is very undulating. Is there perhaps a possible route from Stronachlachar or could you go over An Caisteal? The only positive thing about starting at Inverarnan is that you can go in the Drovers afterwards :thumbup:
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby Rekrab » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:36 pm

can't you tack this one onto a walk with an caisteal and it's neighbour?

MacKenzie,
Rekrab
Munro compleatist

Munros:85   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:45

Postby audreywaugh » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:11 pm

Hi bootsandpaddles

I did meet a couple of girls coming up from the Allt a' Chuilinn side, I met them at the bealach between Stob Creag an Fhitich and Meall nan Tarmachan, one of them said it had been an uphill slog, was a lovely day so I think I picked the better route, but I think there route was shorter? Like you I also thought you could maybe do it from the Loch Voil side, infact I think there is a report on here of someone doing Beinn a'Chroin from that side so could be a way to bag the 3 of them? No pub at the end of them though! :D
audreywaugh
Wanderer

Munros:196   Corbetts:46
Fionas:14   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:47   Islands:20

Postby skuk007 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:20 pm

Did these three in the summer from Derrydaroch farm (link) - long day though.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland