walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Vorlich, Ime & Narnain

Vorlich, Ime & Narnain

Postby ALANREIDHILLS » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:26 am

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme, Beinn Narnain, Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond)

Date walked: 20/06/1964

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Ascent: 6050m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Up at 6, packed and met Ronnie, Stuart and John at 8 in County Square. In Ronnie's car we reached Loch Sloy just before 10 and set off up Vorlich immediately. Bright sunny and cloudy, clear and dry, NW wind. John and I reached the top just before the other two and I went on to do the second peak alone. From it I could look down on Inverarnan Farm and could see a great distance in all directions. Returned to main summit and finally descended from the trig point at the other end. Explored passages under fallen boulders, uprighted a sheep and arrived at car again at 1:00. Had lunch and pushed on to do the others. The gate of the side road was locked, so we went round to b
Butterbridge. Set off at 2:10. Stuart and John gave up after half and hour. Ronnie and I carried on through a shower lasting 15 minutes and reached the summit at 3:55.
Bright and sunny again after the shower...magnificent views all around. Ben Nevis in view perhaps. Feeling refreshed after a rest in the cold wind, we carried on to the second peak and, though we had felt terribly tired on Ime's north ridge, the look of the descent to the south saddle was sufficiently encouraging to make us try it. Easy pace on gentle grassy slopes got us to the saddle at 4:30. We dumped all but cameras and started what looked to be a long ascent. Ronnie got cramp above the knees and had to rest very frequently. I went on and seemed to find a third wind. With no further rests, I kept an easy pace to the summit, which was half the distance it had looked. I could judge my progress by looking at the Cobbler half a mile away. Reached the top at 4:55 having completed three Munros in a day....6050 feet up in total!
Firth of Clyde, Gareloch, Lui, More, Stobinian, Lomond, Cruachan and perhaps Starav were all visible.
Set off at 5:05 and reached the car at 6:30 after several rests to ease Ronnie's cramp. Back in Paisley at 8:15.
ALANREIDHILLS
Wanderer

Munros:94   Corbetts:197
Fionas:90   Donalds:16
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:14   Islands:63

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland