walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Lee & Monawee

Glen Lee & Monawee

Postby Gable Gable End » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:18 pm

Date walked: 05/02/2011

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Our plans to hit up Carn Bhac and partners took a beating with the rotten awful weather on Friday so we decided to go for a low level wander & bothy up Glen Lee. We planned to hit the Stables of Lee but the horizontal rain, gale force winds and darkness meant we headed for Johnny Gordon's bothy. Once in, the beers and whisky were poured and we got a raging fire going, some mess tin fried pork chops and noodles :)
IMG_1749.JPG
Myself and Dan drying off with a 18yr Highland Park

IMG_1763.JPG
Food!

After a great nights sleep and some really sore heads in the morning, we noticed it had went from "rotten, disgusting wet, windy and cloudy" to "blue-ish, nice and worthy of a walk". We tidied up, grabbed some wood for the next incumbents before a couple of leaving shots.
IMG_1785.JPG
Me with a sore head

We then headed off up Cairn of Camlet....
IMG_1793.JPG
Wolf Craig whilst our calves burn

We climbed up the very steep heather clad side ("Camlet" on the map) which ajoins to Monawee; the views opened up nicely on the ridge with a superb 360 including the magnificent Craig Maskeldie, Hunt Hill, Wolf Craig, Lochnagar, Mount Keen, Mount Battock, Hill of Wirren and Cairn Caidlock and the channel of Glen Esk; This view must be seen to be believed!!!

IMG_1802.JPG
Hunt Hill & Craig Maskeldie popping up above ridgeline

IMG_1803.JPG
Mount Keen

IMG_1804.JPG
Lochnagar and company.....

IMG_1807.JPG
Mount Battock

We headed up to the summit of Monawee and dropped down to catch a view of Loch Lee, we had to go through a lot of heather and we ended up stopping for a bite to eat and enjoying the view out to Angus.

IMG_1816.JPG
Gateway to Angus

We then proceeded to head down Craig Buck, which was much steeper and craggier than anticipated. A few descend / ascends later I identified a suitable exit point. Sadly Dan and me got split up here and his knee wasnt up for a tough descent like this and I couldnt get back up!
IMG_1817.JPG
Steeeeeper than it looks....

IMG_1819.JPG
Phew! But where is Dan???

We couldnt hear eachother, and whilst both reasonably competent we both feared for the safety of the other. A wee bit opf panic ensued as the sun was going down but eventually after getting back to the car and driving along the track, we were reunited!

A weekend that we expected to have rotten weather turned out to be a great day on the Saturday. Really enjoyed the walk and will definetly be back up this way!!!!
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Re: Glen Lee & Monawee

Postby ChrisW » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:30 pm

Great report and photos, pork chops and noodles :shock: you guys know how bothy up :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Merry-walker » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:49 am

What a smashing walk and not far from me so will be easy to get there!! I think I will do this later in the week. Did you leave any grub in that bothy? :lol:

Very nice report and pictures :thumbup:
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Gable Gable End » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:56 am

no grub, but some Jura & Glenmorangie was left behind! :lol:

if you are planning on going up Monawee, I'd suggest you don't take that route down if you, like me, struggle with nerves on steep sections! :shock:
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Merry-walker » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:05 am

Gable Gable End wrote: no grub, but some Jura & Glenmorangie was left behind! :lol:

Fantastic squiffy!!

Gable Gable End wrote:if you are planning on going up Monawee, I'd suggest you don't take that route down if you, like me, struggle with nerves on steep sections! :shock:

That's what squiffy's for :lol: :lol: :lol:
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Alastair S » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:21 am

Gable Gable End wrote:no grub, but some Jura & Glenmorangie was left behind! :lol:

Right, I'm off there now :lol:
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:57 am

G.G.E. that looks like you had a fine wee overnight bothy,and a nice walk to clear your heads the next day
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Graeme D » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:01 pm

Classic stuff GGE - that first photo is the absolute quintessence of bothy heaven! 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland